Wurlitzer 1700 plays slow..

Old January 22nd 05, 05:30 AM
Randy Brown

Default Wurlitzer 1700 plays slow..

I've just acquired the 'family' Wurly 1700HF from my father. It's been
sitting unused for over 22 years collecting dust and nicotine.
After getting it home and giving it a good cleaning and lube, it actually
works pretty well. The only real problem is that the playback is slow.
I've replaced the belt, lubed everything that i can, cleaned the turntable
motor and even yelled and cussed at it. I have the service manual, but i
cant find anything about adjusting the playback speed.

Does anyone have any hints or tips on how to speedup or calibrate the
playback speed?

One other question.. What is the going rate for a 1700HF in good condition
(except for playing slow). I talked my father into letting it go for
$1000.. I'm hoping this was a 'fair' price for both of us..

..

Old January 23rd 05, 04:59 AM
Jim Murphy

Randy, Since no one has put up a post on this yet I am going to take a stab
and see if I get shot down. I have not worked on this particular model but
based on my experience with many newer ones, there is no adjustment on the
speed. If you feel that the turntable is running free then my first guess is
that the motor is problematic. Have you lubricated the bearings on the
motor? It may need to be dis-assembled and cleaned as well. It doesn't take
much of a drag to make the record run slow. It may run better after it is
played for a while but I think it is better to make sure it is clean and
properly lubed. You also may want to check to see that the motor is getting
full rated voltage. Jim

news

.

Old January 25th 05, 07:22 AM
Randy Brown

Thanks Mr. M..
Although i had taken the motor apart once already, i missed the small
oil-wick for the bearing.. some oil on the wick (which was bone-dry) did the
trick!
Now it plays perfect!

About my other question.. What is a Wurly 1700 in good condition worth?

Old January 28th 05, 03:00 AM
Jim Murphy

I'm a little rusty on values but I should think maybe around $2500.00. Let's
see if anyone on here dissagrees with me. Jim