Europeans are Slow

Old February 3rd 04, 11:53 AM
Christian Feldhaus

Ian wrote:

Really, you should stop referring to `old europe' in the context of a
phenomenon which is only found in the US.

Oh well -- "Old Europe" even became the Word of the Year 2003 in Germany
about a month ago, primarily because Rummie's offensive term got
redefined ;-) here. So why not redefine it once again?

But it is true, slabbing is primarily, and almost exclusively, an issue
in the US. Maybe it's because "remote" purchases (mail order etc.) were
common there when most collectors here got their coins from local
dealers, with the option to look at what they want to buy. Another
possible reason is that in the US people tend to sell parts of their
collection more frequently, either in order to buy different coins or
for other reasons. Pure speculation, I know.

Jorg may very well be right, though -- in a couple of years third party
grading will possibly be used to some extent outside the US as well. For
the kind of coins that I collect I would not need or want such a
service, and certainly would not pay for it. But if you have some
historic coins that are expensive enough to get slabbed and graded, and
if you know about the reputation of such a service ... why not?

Christian
Old February 3rd 04, 12:02 PM
Scottishmoney

"Darren" wrote in message
I don't believe they ever had primae noctis (droit de seigneur?)
imposed in Scotland unless of course you believe in Mel Gibson's
history of Scotland... which I know you don't

Of course those French... but even there it seems to have been
dismissed as something of a myth.

Thanks
Darren

Ah gees, ya mean Edw the II(what we call here a $3 bill) didn't send
Isabella to go cavourt with that musky Welshman? Sad truth is this, a lot
of people take that movie for history, and all it is is Hellywood
entertainment, there was not much factual history in there. Most of WW's
life is conjecture for instance. But I am sure the Normans took their
liberties with just about anything on four legs.

Dave

---

Old February 3rd 04, 12:07 PM
Scottishmoney

"Christian Feldhaus" wrote in message
Ian wrote:

Really, you should stop referring to `old europe' in the context of a
phenomenon which is only found in the US.

Oh well -- "Old Europe" even became the Word of the Year 2003 in Germany
about a month ago, primarily because Rummie's offensive term got
redefined ;-) here. So why not redefine it once again?

Yeah the airheads in the administration are starting to realise they cannot
do much without the Old Europe lately aren't they?

Dave

---

Old February 3rd 04, 12:18 PM
Darren

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 07:02:58 -0500, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

Sad truth is this, a lot
of people take that movie for history, and all it is is Hellywood
entertainment, there was not much factual history in there.

Don't get me started on 'The Patriot'
Old February 3rd 04, 01:00 PM
Scottishmoney

"Darren" wrote in message

Don't get me started on 'The Patriot'

I had the curious experience of watching "The Patriot" with about 300 or so
Frenchmen. Seemed blase until the phrase that went along the lines of they
are only good for procreation or something similar entered the dialog.

Dave

---

Old February 3rd 04, 01:49 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Scottishmoney wrote:

[about "Old Europe"]

Dave,

let me just say it was not my intention to put much emphasis on that
part of my reply. Hey, it also (and mostly) was about coins! :-)

Christian
Old February 3rd 04, 11:08 PM
Colin Kynoch

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 20:43:12 -0600, Jorg Lueke
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 07:50:00 GMT, Colin Kynoch
wrote:

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 19:21:35 -0600, Jorg Lueke
wrote:

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 21:32:15 GMT, Colin Kynoch

wrote:

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 20:47:55 +0000, "note.boy"
wrote:

Buying from a long established UK dealer has no pitfalls. Billy

Likewise in Australia

Colin Kynoch

Generally not, Stacks still does fine without selling many slabs at all.

I have purchased from quite a number of dealers in Australia, and for
the most part the sell slabbed coins at a discount to cler their
inventory of them.

The vast majority of US coins in Australia are sold raw.

And I have spoke to a few dealers who when they purchase slabbed
Aussie coins the liberate them as quickly as they can.

This isn't because they are dishonest and don't agree with the grades
(although we don't use numeric grading here so MS63 means nothing at
all to your average Aussie collector, Brilliant UNC would mean a lot
more)), but that they can't move them as wqickly as 'free' coins.

Same here 30 years ago, I will look you up in 30 more and you can fawn
over your nicely slabbed collection ;-)

Highly unlikely.

It has been tried here and it was a complete failure.

Thank goodness

Colin Kynoch

Old February 5th 04, 05:44 AM
henry mensch

The Silver Jar... wrote:
But they can look very nicely framed in a slab. I dunno i like the
idea that it keeps the coin safe and accumulating a complete set in
all the same slabs makes a nice standardised collection.

exactly! let's say you collect modern us commemoratives ... so you buy
stuff from the US Mint and it comes in that god-awful tacky packaging,
but you somehow feel obliged to keep the packaging because it makes it
easier to sell (even if it is ugly and a PITA to store).

slabs store nicely, if nothing else.

--
# henry mensch / san francisco, california
#
Old February 5th 04, 05:44 AM
henry mensch

perhaps ... but are collectables really commodities? i don't think so.
the slabbing of coins is an attempt to commoditize them .. and it does,
to a point ... but a certain class of collectors want more from the
experiernce, it seems ...

In article , note.boy
wrote:

"How many other commodities require you to be an expert in order to
avoid fraud?"

Every collectable. Billy

Old February 5th 04, 03:57 PM
Chris S

"henry mensch" wrote:
perhaps ... but are collectables really commodities? i don't think so.
the slabbing of coins is an attempt to commoditize them .. and it does,
to a point ... but a certain class of collectors want more from the
experiernce, it seems ...

Some people do misconstrue slabbing as commoditization, unfortunately. A
slab provides, in addition to a holder, three statements: authenticity,
grade, and alteration. These opinions are similar in many ways to the
statements made by management, auditors, and analysts for publicly traded
stocks. For both coins and stocks, the statements have value (they are less
valuable to subject matter experts), and the makers of the statements have
incentives (reputation) and sometimes disincentives (conflicts of interest)
to be accurate.

In any event, the statements are guaranteed only to the extent stated;
principals (buyers and sellers) bear the residual risk.

--Chris

Wurlitzer 1700 plays slow.. Randy Brown Juke Boxes 3 January 28th 05 03:00 AM
Slow Thursday, 2/19/04 Joe Autographs 0 February 19th 04 05:42 PM
Slow Day, but! Joe Rosa Autographs 1 November 14th 03 06:31 PM
Wurlitzer 1250 slow Ken G. Juke Boxes 0 August 4th 03 06:49 AM
Is eBay slow? Doggo Coins 0 July 31st 03 05:28 PM