Largest Gold Coin?

Old October 10th 03, 09:39 PM
Mat

Default Largest Gold Coin?

What's the largest gold coin minted anywhere in the world? (and
perhaps i should also ask what's the smallest too?)

The largest i can think of is the Gold Triple Unite (issued from
1642-44) of Charles I (of Civil War and beheaded fame), measuring
approximately (as it's a hammered issue) 1 and 13/16ths of an inch
across (46mm for those who are in metric).

And the smallest is probably the Type 1 US Gold Dollar at 1/2" across
(13mm), beating the Quarter Guinea by about a 16th of an inch (at
16mm). Anyone know of anything smaller?

Sylvester.

(Ebay...full of the weird, the wonderful and sometimes the utter
bizarre!)
Old October 10th 03, 10:15 PM
Scottishmoney

"Mat" wrote in message
om...
What's the largest gold coin minted anywhere in the world? (and
perhaps i should also ask what's the smallest too?)

The largest i can think of is the Gold Triple Unite (issued from
1642-44) of Charles I (of Civil War and beheaded fame), measuring
approximately (as it's a hammered issue) 1 and 13/16ths of an inch
across (46mm for those who are in metric).

And the smallest is probably the Type 1 US Gold Dollar at 1/2" across
(13mm), beating the Quarter Guinea by about a 16th of an inch (at
16mm). Anyone know of anything smaller?

Sylvester.

The Sultanate of Delhi in India issued a unique 100 Mohur coin in the 17th
century that was absolutely huge. However it was stolen from a coin cabinet
long ago and likely was melted for bullion.

For smaller legally issued coins, the 4 Reales of Guatemala was the gold
equivalent of a US half dollar, they were issued in the 1850's and 1860's,
in fact I have one of them hiding somewhere in a safe deposit box, it is my
smallest coin.

Dave Parrish

Old October 11th 03, 02:24 AM
A.Gent

"Mat" wrote in message
om...

And the smallest is probably the Type 1 US Gold Dollar at 1/2" across
(13mm), beating the Quarter Guinea by about a 16th of an inch (at
16mm). Anyone know of anything smaller?

"The Fanams are issued mostly in the South India by various
rulers.Each of them weighs between 330-400 mgs
with the size between 4-8 mm"

from ebay seller indiacoin

Old October 11th 03, 04:30 AM
Jorg Lueke

On 10 Oct 2003 13:39:25 -0700, Mat wrote:

What's the largest gold coin minted anywhere in the world? (and
perhaps i should also ask what's the smallest too?)

The largest i can think of is the Gold Triple Unite (issued from
1642-44) of Charles I (of Civil War and beheaded fame), measuring
approximately (as it's a hammered issue) 1 and 13/16ths of an inch
across (46mm for those who are in metric).

And the smallest is probably the Type 1 US Gold Dollar at 1/2" across
(13mm), beating the Quarter Guinea by about a 16th of an inch (at
16mm). Anyone know of anything smaller?

Sylvester.

(Ebay...full of the weird, the wonderful and sometimes the utter
bizarre!)

I think the largest is the Polish 100 ducat of 1621.
There's a lot of small fractional ducats as well, the smallest
I can remember was 1/64 th of a ducat which was only a few millimeters
Old October 11th 03, 01:28 PM
Bob Peterson

seems to me there were some Indian gold coins that were little more than
tiny stamped lumps, barely even recognizable as coins.

news

Old October 11th 03, 02:16 PM
Norman Diamond

"Mat" wrote in message
om...
What's the largest gold coin minted anywhere in the world?

I think probably the Australian coin which is 1 kg of gold with a
denomination of A$10,000.

Before that it was probably oban but those haven't been made for the last
200 years or so.

(and perhaps i should also ask what's the smallest too?)

I agree with A.Gent's guess about a fanam. (Though I thought it was
farnam -- though actually it might be neither, since the word probably
wasn't written in Italian characters anyway, just as oban wasn't written in
Italian characters). Anyway, if you accidentally drop one, you'll probably
never find it. If you set it down and your cat sneezes, you'll probably
never find it. I don't think mine weighs 330 mg but I'm not taking it out
of its holder to test it.

Old October 11th 03, 08:24 PM
Mat

"Norman Diamond" wrote in message ...
"Mat" wrote in message
om...
What's the largest gold coin minted anywhere in the world?

I think probably the Australian coin which is 1 kg of gold with a
denomination of A$10,000.

Before that it was probably oban but those haven't been made for the last
200 years or so.

(and perhaps i should also ask what's the smallest too?)

I agree with A.Gent's guess about a fanam. (Though I thought it was
farnam -- though actually it might be neither, since the word probably
wasn't written in Italian characters anyway, just as oban wasn't written in
Italian characters). Anyway, if you accidentally drop one, you'll probably
never find it. If you set it down and your cat sneezes, you'll probably
never find it. I don't think mine weighs 330 mg but I'm not taking it out
of its holder to test it.

Blimey that's ridiculously small! I bet they were fun to mint.

Sylvester
Old October 11th 03, 09:20 PM
George D

Mat wrote:
"Norman Diamond" wrote in message ...

"Mat" wrote in message
.com...

[...]

There are several farhams on ebay right now.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ty=MetaEndSort

Watch the wrap or use this

http://tinyurl.com/ql25

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

"A Native American grandfather was talking to his grandson about how he
felt. He said, I feel as if I have two wolves fighting in my heart. One
wolf is the vengeful, angry, violent one. The other wolf is the loving,
compassionate one. The grandson asked him, Which wolf will win the
fight in your heart? The grandfather answered, The one I feed."

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.

Old October 13th 03, 12:48 AM
Mike Locke

There are several gold coins that are smaller than a fanam. How well any of
these circulated is unclear, but they were issued as legal tender. Of
course 1kg gold "coins" were not intended to circulate, although they are
legal tender.

Government issues
Nepal, 1 dam: 0.044 grams of pure gold
I have not seen any illustration of this piece. It is listed in Krause's
World Gold Coins
Germany/Nuremberg ca1700 1/32 Ducat: 0.09 grams of 0.9 fine gold (5mm
diameter)
Germany/Regensberg ca1750 1/32 Ducat: 0.09 grams of 0.9 fine gold (5mm
diameter)
Germany/Stolberg 1/32 Ducat: 0.09 grams of 0.9 fine gold (5mm diameter)
India 1/4 Hanna 0.1 grams of gold

Private issues (not legal tender, but claiming to be so)
Germany/Nuremberg Josef Wild 1924 25 gold pfennings 0.09 grams of pure gold.
5.5mm diameter
USA/California, various 1880s $1/4 ~0.14 grams of .300-.400 fine gold.

The Vatican issued a 3" diameter gold coin, as did one of the Mohgul's of
India. The former is extremely rare, the later was stolen from the British
Museum and is currently unknown in any collect (a plaster cast is all that
remains).

--
Mike Locke California Gold
www.calgoldcoin.com