Bookstores Around the World (rec.arts.books) (FAQ) (IMPORTANT UPDATE)

Old October 5th 09, 01:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
David DeLaney

Default Bookstores Around the World (rec.arts.books) (FAQ) (IMPORTANT UPDATE)

Patok wrote:
Stanley Moore wrote:
Texas is like nowhere else.

Every place is like nowhere else, depending on how closely you
look. Conversely, every place is like everywhere else, when you look at
it from a sufficient distance.

And if you look at the metric instead of the places, you get Nourse's
_The Universe Between_...

Dave "manifold interests" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from "It's not the pot that grows the flower
Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. VISUALIZE HAPPYNET VRbeableBLINK
Old October 5th 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Patok

Stanley Moore wrote:

Texas is like nowhere else.

Every place is like nowhere else, depending on how closely you
look. Conversely, every place is like everywhere else, when you look at
it from a sufficient distance.

But all in all there is nowhere I'd rather
live. You have immense diversity of landscape, cultural orientation, and
Texas is well renowned for its friendly people.

That's fine and dandy, but how do you cope with the weather? IMHO,
that's its biggest problem, not the people.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
Old October 5th 09, 03:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Evelyn Leeper

Patok wrote:
Stanley Moore wrote:

Texas is like nowhere else.

Every place is like nowhere else, depending on how closely you look.
Conversely, every place is like everywhere else, when you look at it
from a sufficient distance.

But all in all there is nowhere I'd rather live. You have immense
diversity of landscape, cultural orientation, and Texas is well
renowned for its friendly people.

That's fine and dandy, but how do you cope with the weather? IMHO,
that's its biggest problem, not the people.

You go into an air-conditioned bookstore, of course.

Oh, I'm sorry, I actually drifted back to the topic. :-)

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
I don't need a friend who changes when I change and who nods
Old October 5th 09, 03:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Patok wrote:
Stanley Moore wrote:

Texas is like nowhere else.

Every place is like nowhere else, depending on how closely you look.
Conversely, every place is like everywhere else, when you look at it
from a sufficient distance.

But all in all there is nowhere I'd rather live. You have immense
diversity of landscape, cultural orientation, and Texas is well
renowned for its friendly people.

That's fine and dandy, but how do you cope with the weather? IMHO,
that's its biggest problem, not the people.

Yes. I would come out of my hotel in Houston in the morning
and the force of the heat and humidity immediately fashioned
on my brain an image of the doorman picking up a hot, wet
blanket and slamming it into my face while saying, "Good
morning, sir."

--
Francis A. Miniter

Oscuramente
libros, laminas, llaves
siguen mi suerte.

Jorge Luis Borges, La Cifra Haiku, 6
Old October 5th 09, 11:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Miles Bader

Patok writes:
That's fine and dandy, but how do you cope with the weather? IMHO,
that's its biggest problem, not the people.

When I chided a friend who (at the time) lived in Texas about driving
everywhere, his reply was that in Texas it simply wasn't possible to
survive without air-conditioning for more than about 30 seconds
(enough to dash from car to building).

What on earth they did they do before the advent of aircon...?

-Miles

--
Arrest, v. Formally to detain one accused of unusualness.
Old October 5th 09, 10:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
J[_2_]

On Oct 4, 10:26�pm, Evelyn Leeper wrote:

You go into an air-conditioned bookstore, of course.

Oh, I'm sorry, I actually drifted back to the topic. :-)

ROFLMAO! Thanks for that!
Old October 6th 09, 07:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
Stanley Moore

"Patok" wrote in message
Stanley Moore wrote:

Texas is like nowhere else.

Every place is like nowhere else, depending on how closely you look.
Conversely, every place is like everywhere else, when you look at it from
a sufficient distance.

But all in all there is nowhere I'd rather live. You have immense
diversity of landscape, cultural orientation, and Texas is well renowned
for its friendly people.

That's fine and dandy, but how do you cope with the weather? IMHO,
that's its biggest problem, not the people.

That's why air conditioning was invented. G You get used to it being hot
which only lasts five or six months here in Houston. The winters in Houston
are cool with rare frosts. Once or twice a year you can typically get a low
of 26-28° which lasts for 4 or 5 hours in the night and warms up to 60 or 65
by 10am. The rest of the day will be clear and cool with maybe a light
freeze the next night followed by 75 degrees the next day. Plaeny of
tropical plants easily survive such short frosts. The key is duration not
how cold it gets. There is a big difference between below 32° that lasts for
weeks and a cold snap that lasts 6 hours.

As for heat you can get used to anything and Houston is fairly close to the
Gulf of Mexico which keeps it from getting as hot as further inland. The
only really bad weather is hurricanes which are few and far between. A year
ago we had Ike which was terrible but nothing this year. Take care
--
Stanley L. Moore
"The belief in a supernatural

Old October 7th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
William December Starr

In article ,
"Cornholio" said:

I grow weary of blowhard Texans and their braggadocio.
The state is overrun by spics and drug dealers.

Go away. Go far away.

-- wds

Old October 7th 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
William December Starr

In article ,
Bill Snyder said:

As a long-time resident, I'd say putting "Dallas" and "culture"
in the same sentence is highly questionable, unless maybe you're
discussing microbiology.

"Whenever I hear the word 'Dallas,' I reach for my revolver."

-- wds

Old October 7th 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.books,rec.arts.mystery
mikea

In rec.arts.sf.written William December Starr wrote:
In article ,
Bill Snyder said:

As a long-time resident, I'd say putting "Dallas" and "culture"
in the same sentence is highly questionable, unless maybe you're
discussing microbiology.

"Whenever I hear the word 'Dallas,' I reach for my revolver."

I lived in Texas for 15 years. The one thing that amazed me about
Texas was that it was large enough to hold all those Texan egoes.

--
My current building was designed, for the architecture school, by the
outgoing head of said school. It was a supreme act of vengeance. The