google and yahoo groups question

Old February 27th 10, 11:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Default google and yahoo groups question

Does anyone know if or how the Google and Yahoo groups can be accessed
through Windows Live Mail or Outlook Express? Thanks in advance.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- http://www.amedialuz.ca/

Old February 28th 10, 08:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 28 Feb, 01:57, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
"Tony Vella" found these unused words:

Does anyone know if or how the Google and Yahoo groups can be accessed
through Windows Live Mail or Outlook Express? *Thanks in advance.

As they're -=web sites=-, not newsgroups or email, you can't get to the
groups -=directly=-.

Once you sign up with a group on Yahoo, your options are to receive
individual posts or daily digests via email. You can then reply to the group
through your email.

Haven't a clue about goggle - don't use it.

I use Google, but only the web interface. I see that if I subscribe to
a group I can similarly get e-mails either as a summary or in full as
a package, but I don't see much point in clogging up my own machine
with loads of posts many of which which I won't have time or interest
to read. The web interface with a list of threads I can pick and
choose from works fine for me. But I know there are lots of people who
feel using newsgroups this way is quite beyond the pale and I should
spend good stamping money on a "proper" newsreader.

Chris
Old March 5th 10, 02:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

Bill wrote :

I use Thunderbird for both e-mail and newsgroups. It's free and works
quite well.

I have used for years Outlook Express (and now Windows Mail) for both
e-mail and newsgroups. They are free and work also quite well (IMHO).

Any attempt to use something else led me to disasters.

The worst experiences were reading the newsgroups directly from Internet
(for instance thru the so-called Google or Yahoo Groups).

And, more recently, using Windows LIVE Mail, the most intrusive piece of
software ever invented by some crazy developers from µ$oft ... and now
imposed by them when you buy Windows 7.
Fortunately there are some means to by-pass their diabolic trick, using
Windows Mail (which comes freely with Windows Vista).

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

to answer me, please replace NOSPAM by my family name

Old March 5th 10, 04:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Ditto on all that Pierre
Live mail what a load of rubbish,

OE has been a faithful servant for years and years

and self flaggelation reading Newsgroup through Google....Aaargh
How do people do it?

Old March 5th 10, 05:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

rodney wrote :

Ditto on all that Pierre
[Windows] Live mail what a load of rubbish,

OE has been a faithful servant for years and years

and self flaggelation reading Newsgroup through Google....Aaargh
How do people do it?

Right Rod !

I see you are using OE 6, thus I imagine you are with Windows XP ?

If one day you are going to Windows 7, please tell me and I'll try to
find for you a page in English explaining how to implement Windows Mail
instead of this filth of Windows LIVE Mail : it was not so easy to do
that myself, even with detailed explanations in French ...

There is only one big drawback in OE (and Windows Mail) : the method of
quotation (answering at the top of the text). Fortunately, there is a
small fix to this, named OEQuoteFix.
And OE QuoteFix works perfectly as well with Windows Mail !

--
All the best,
Pierre

Old March 5th 10, 07:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Thanks Pierre,
yep, using XP, I like it even more than W98 which I thought I would have forever.

I am due to get a new Computer System, I am going to stay with XP I feel.
If I go W7 then I shall make it a point (on your advice) the builder
retain OE (put the onus on him

I was a breath away from signing for a $1500 system, but I have re assessed and
will accept the $1000 but no wriggly bits.
I keep the monitor etc from this system.

Old March 5th 10, 02:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

rodney wrote :

If I go W7 then I shall make it a point (on your advice) the builder
retain OE (put the onus on him

Rodney,

You will have to check that at that time. But to my best knowledge, it
it is technically *impossible* to put OE on a W7 machine.

But putting OE's clone (Windows Mail) instead is perfectly possible.
Not so easy, but I am sure your builder will know how to do it.

--
All the best,
Pierre

Old March 6th 10, 05:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Billns

On 3/5/2010 7:49 AM, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
"Pierre found these unused words:

rodney wrote :

If I go W7 then I shall make it a point (on your advice) the builder
retain OE (put the onus on him

Rodney,

You will have to check that at that time. But to my best knowledge, it
it is technically *impossible* to put OE on a W7 machine.

But putting OE's clone (Windows Mail) instead is perfectly possible.
Not so easy, but I am sure your builder will know how to do it.

One thing to consider, if you go away from goggle, then you will have to get
a news source such as Giganews.

Depending upon your ISP's choice [if any!] you may of may not like the
service and ind yourself right back on goggle's boggle.

Goggle's boggle? I like that even better than google's boogle. g

I don't have Windows 7 yet, but Thunderbird plays nicely with Vista and
isn't that different from OE. I use TBird, my wife uses OE8 with Windows
XP and is quite happy with it.

Bill
Old March 13th 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ryan Davenport

rodney wrote :

[...]

I also use Thunderbird on a 32 bit Vista machine for accessing this
newsgroup and have no problems with it. Thunderbird is the continuation
of the old Netscape e-mail / newsgroup software from the days when
Netscape was the dominant browser rather than Internet Explorer (late
1990s, by my memory).
I do have issues when travelling, however. Shaw is my ISP in
Canada, and unless I'm accessing the internet through one of the other
Shaw servers (only available in Canada), I can neither access newsgroups
nor send e-mail via Thunderbird (incoming via POP3 is OK, sending via
SMTP doesn't work). In such cases, I have to use my webmail accounts
for e-mail. I've fussed with that for a long time and have never
figured out how to handle it correctly.

Ryan