Europeans are Slow

Old February 1st 04, 04:47 AM
Jorg Lueke

Default Europeans are Slow

To see the brilliance of slabbing. No more pewter Thalers or hammered
pennies made by Artie next door. When will they learn?
Old February 1st 04, 05:22 AM
Colin Kynoch

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:47:25 -0600, Jorg Lueke
wrote:

To see the brilliance of slabbing. No more pewter Thalers or hammered
pennies made by Artie next door. When will they learn?

I personally can't see the attraction of slabbing coins.

Australia had a company that tried it, and they were not successful.

I hope this stays that way.

I will be posting some articles form Australian Coin Review on the
Aussie viewpoint on slabbing in the near future.

Needless to say most were not all that complimentary.

Colin Kynoch
Old February 1st 04, 11:25 AM
The Silver Jar...

wrote:

To see the brilliance of slabbing. No more pewter Thalers or hammered
pennies made by Artie next door. When will they learn?

I've come across some slabbed coins from America that have filtered
across, i don't think it's a bad idea as such. (It gets bad when
people start paying stupid prices from one grade to another such as
MS66 MS67 in my opinion. To me it's UNC whichever grade it is and i'd
sell it for the same price).

Anyhow i dislike the idea of slabbing in general because i'm an old
fashioned type that thinks if you can't hold the coin in your hands
then what's the point? You're not holding history your holding a
capsule of plastic with a bit of history in it.

That and the coin won't fit in the cabinate if it's in a slab.

But they can look very nicely framed in a slab. I dunno i like the
idea that it keeps the coin safe and accumulating a complete set in
all the same slabs makes a nice standardised collection. I just don't
fancy paying for the plastic and not the coin. (So probably a negative
feeling from me here!)

Sylvester.
Old February 1st 04, 04:23 PM
Jorg Lueke

On 1 Feb 2004 03:25:46 -0800, The Silver Jar...
wrote:

I've come across some slabbed coins from America that have filtered
across, i don't think it's a bad idea as such. (It gets bad when
people start paying stupid prices from one grade to another such as
MS66 MS67 in my opinion. To me it's UNC whichever grade it is and i'd
sell it for the same price).

I agree to a point, if you as the collector can tell the difference in
quality offering a suitable price makes sense. On the other hand, if you
are just buying the number on the slab then it is a waste of money.

Anyhow i dislike the idea of slabbing in general because i'm an old
fashioned type that thinks if you can't hold the coin in your hands
then what's the point? You're not holding history your holding a
capsule of plastic with a bit of history in it.

That and the coin won't fit in the cabinate if it's in a slab.

Those things are nice, but isn't it also nice to know the coin youb are
holding is real. Granted, this dosen't cover the more inexpensive coins
but there's plenty of European coinage out there that's quite pricey.

Sylvester.

Old February 5th 04, 05:44 AM
henry mensch

The Silver Jar... wrote:
But they can look very nicely framed in a slab. I dunno i like the
idea that it keeps the coin safe and accumulating a complete set in
all the same slabs makes a nice standardised collection.

exactly! let's say you collect modern us commemoratives ... so you buy
stuff from the US Mint and it comes in that god-awful tacky packaging,
but you somehow feel obliged to keep the packaging because it makes it
easier to sell (even if it is ugly and a PITA to store).

slabs store nicely, if nothing else.

--
# henry mensch / san francisco, california
#
Old February 5th 04, 07:08 PM
bob peterson

wrote:

To see the brilliance of slabbing. No more pewter Thalers or hammered
pennies made by Artie next door. When will they learn?

I personally can't see the attraction of slabbing coins.

Australia had a company that tried it, and they were not successful.

I hope this stays that way.

I will be posting some articles form Australian Coin Review on the
Aussie viewpoint on slabbing in the near future.

Needless to say most were not all that complimentary.

I am not at all surprised. Slabbing takes away one of the ways dealers
are able to cheat buyers. Why would they willingly give that away?

Colin Kynoch

Old February 6th 04, 02:46 AM
Dik T. Winter

In article Colin Kynoch writes:
Personally I think dealers that slab coins are looking for additional
ways to cheat buyers.

Like using slabbers that are not really up to snuff?

At least between Europe and the US the number of different coins (with
respect to type) is *so* large. I have close to 2000 coins, and I
collect by type only. Most from Europe. I would not know how many
are falsifications (there may be), but I do not know anybody in Europe
with enough knowledge to verify them even for that. When you have a
coin of large value, you will in general have a paper from a well-known
dealer showing the coin is not a falsification, and when you sell such
a coin, the paper goes with it. As far as classification is concerned
is in the eye of the beholder. And whether a better classification
really needs to get a better price is also a question of taste.

In the postage stamp business, I know that there are quite a few stamps
that will yield you more money when they are used than when they are
not used. Only because used stamps of the variety are scarcer than the
unused ones.

When we use the slabbers philosophy, a Franklin Mint coin, direct from
the mint would get you more money than a coin that really circulated.
There is a bit of a dichotomy between the "coin collectors". On the
one hand there are the pure collectors (i.e. those that keep or buy a
coin because it fits logicaly in their collection) and the investors
(i.e. those that keep or buy a coin with the expectation that the value
will go up). I definitely am sitting in the first category. From the
collection I have, *only* duplicates will go out. Slabbing tends to
protect the investors (as does the hobby act apparently).
Old February 7th 04, 01:11 AM
Colin Kynoch

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 02:46:30 GMT, "Dik T. Winter"
wrote:

In article Colin Kynoch writes:
Personally I think dealers that slab coins are looking for additional
ways to cheat buyers.

Like using slabbers that are not really up to snuff?

That and the progessive grade slippage.

Otherwise there should be no difference between slabs from 5 years ago
and slabs of today, yet reading this ng it has become apparent that
even PCGS is considered guilty of this.

snip

Colin Kynoch

Wurlitzer 1700 plays slow.. Randy Brown Juke Boxes 3 January 28th 05 03:00 AM
Slow Thursday, 2/19/04 Joe Autographs 0 February 19th 04 05:42 PM
Slow Day, but! Joe Rosa Autographs 1 November 14th 03 06:31 PM
Wurlitzer 1250 slow Ken G. Juke Boxes 0 August 4th 03 06:49 AM
Is eBay slow? Doggo Coins 0 July 31st 03 05:28 PM