Holy Grail of (US) coins turns up in coin shop

Old September 26th 04, 06:14 AM
TomDeLorey

Default Holy Grail of (US) coins turns up in coin shop

Maybe it's the rare "Engrailed Edge" variety..........
Tom DeLorey
..
Subject: Holy Grail of (US) coins turns up in coin shop
From: "Fred A. Murphy"
Date: 9/25/2004 7:57 PM Central Daylight Time
I've never heard of a 1793 cent strawberry leaf referred to as the holy
grail of numismatics.

Then again, I've never heard of a penny that was a cent.

He's had this crap since July, and we're talking about a coin potentially
worth from tens of thousands to perhaps even a million bucks. How long
would it have taken him to get it certified? A week, tops?

TomDeLorey
-
Vote. If you don't like the way things are going, vote the bums out. If you are
happy, re-elect. Just don't not vote and then complain about how things are.
Old September 26th 04, 03:47 PM
ELurio

Then again, I've never heard of a penny that was a cent. BRBR

ALL american pennies are cents. It's pretty amazing that nobody has twitted
anyone for calling a five-cent piece a "nickel."

A cent is called a penny. Five cents pieces are called nickels, etc...

Live with it.

eric l.
Old September 27th 04, 06:30 PM
Bob Flaminio

ELurio wrote:
Then again, I've never heard of a penny that was a cent. BRBR

ALL american pennies are cents. It's pretty amazing that nobody has
twitted anyone for calling a five-cent piece a "nickel."

A cent is called a penny. Five cents pieces are called nickels, etc...

Live with it.

I really don't get the beef about pennies/cents either. In the US,
"penny" is a colloquial term for the one cent coin, just as "nickel" is
colloquial for a five cent piece, "two bits" colloquial for a quarter,
and so forth. If I were writing a learned paper on American numismatics
I would not use the term "penny" (except perhaps as pointing out its
everyday usage), but in a newsgroup posting or a fluff-piece news
article, it's entirely acceptable.

--
Bob

Old September 28th 04, 12:31 AM
Padraic Brown

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:30:37 -0700, "Bob Flaminio"
wrote:

ELurio wrote:
Then again, I've never heard of a penny that was a cent. BRBR

ALL american pennies are cents. It's pretty amazing that nobody has
twitted anyone for calling a five-cent piece a "nickel."

Actually, I have. I must admit that I took part in a couple of RCC's
(in)famous "Penny v. Cent" festivals a number of years back. The "it's
a cent because it says CENT right on the coin" folks could never make
an inteligible response to the fact that they merrily call 5¢ coins
"nickels". As I recall, one of the best responses was "well, it has
nickel in it".

A cent is called a penny. Five cents pieces are called nickels, etc...

Live with it.

I really don't get the beef about pennies/cents either.

It is, or was anyway, a favourite passtime in RCC years ago. Just one
of those things you get within any sort of family grouping like we've
got here.

In the US,
"penny" is a colloquial term for the one cent coin, just as "nickel" is
colloquial for a five cent piece, "two bits" colloquial for a quarter,
and so forth.

Exactly. The argument generally tended towards _numismatic_ sources
(like the Mint, etc) calling the things pennies, when the "correct"
numismatic term is cent. Of course, this logic never applied to
nickels, which is what the Red Book calls them in various
descriptions.

If I were writing a learned paper on American numismatics
I would not use the term "penny" (except perhaps as pointing out its
everyday usage), but in a newsgroup posting or a fluff-piece news
article, it's entirely acceptable.

Depends on register and the meaning you're trying to get across. A
scholarly piece on different types of US pennies might best be
presented by naming the coin with the most specific term possible,
such as "Coronet Type Large Cent".

The problem here, in the NG especially, is that certain folks have a
rod stuck their bums when eschewing the use of the word penny - yet
they will happily use other "incorrect" terminology.

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old September 28th 04, 12:41 AM
Alan Williams

wrote:

ELurio wrote:
[...]

For the record, it makes no never mind to me. ;-)

I gave up on 'cents' when the tellers at the bank were unable to
understand my request for $5 worth of rolls.

"May I have ten rolls of cents ? " produces blank stares and 'whaddid ya say?'.

"May I have ten rolls of pennies ?" produces trays of coins. ;-)

Alan
'would rather have coins than stares'
Old September 28th 04, 02:00 AM
Padraic Brown

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:41:52 GMT, Alan Williams
wrote:

For the record, it makes no never mind to me. ;-)

Sure - it was never a productive argument!

I gave up on 'cents' when the tellers at the bank were unable to
understand my request for $5 worth of rolls.

"May I have ten rolls of cents ? " produces blank stares and 'whaddid ya say?'.

"May I have ten rolls of pennies ?" produces trays of coins. ;-)

Lesson learned: call em what most people call em.

Old September 28th 04, 06:42 AM
David Hamilton

Also, if someone were to say to me, they have 10 cents in their
pocket that would paint a very different picture then if they said
they had 10 penny's in their pocket.

Sometimes you have to use the *incorrect term* penny so people will
know what you are talking about.

Old September 28th 04, 02:48 PM
The Silver Jar...

David Hamilton wrote in message . ..
Also, if someone were to say to me, they have 10 cents in their
pocket that would paint a very different picture then if they said
they had 10 penny's in their pocket.

Sometimes you have to use the *incorrect term* penny so people will
know what you are talking about.

Not bothered when cents are called pennies, i still call them cents.

I do get really annoyed when US collectors call British pennies, cents
though, cos that are not and have never ever been cents, they are
pennies end of.

Sylvester.
Old September 29th 04, 11:59 PM
Pete

(James McCown) wrote in
om:

(The Silver Jar...) wrote in message
. com...

Not bothered when cents are called pennies, i still call them cents.

I do get really annoyed when US collectors call British pennies,
cents though, cos that are not and have never ever been cents, they
are pennies end of.

Sylvester.

Pre-decimal, it was wrong to call a British penny a cent. It was not
one-hundreth of a pound, but one-two hundred fortieth.

But now, since the British penny is one-hundreth of a pound, it makes
sense.

It's not any less wrong now than it was then. The only difference is
that there is more scope for the confusion of the ignorant.

There is no such thing as a UK 'cent', and there never has been. A
'penny' in the UK is not known colloquially as a 'cent' - unlike the
reverse situation in the US. In the UK, 'cent' for 'penny' is jarring
on the ear, and most people would politely correct it if they heard it.

It says 'penny' on it. Therefore it is a penny. Simple as that.

As for the US 1 cent coin, provided the context is clear I'm not
bothered what you call them - they're your coins after all. I
personally call them 'cents'.

--
Pete

"And he ran them single-handed, 'till their sides were white with foam
He followed like a bloodhound on their track
'Till they halted, cowed and beaten, and he turned their heads for home
And alone and unassisted brought them back."

- Banjo Paterson, "The Man from Snowy River"

Remove the removes to reply by e-mail.