Calf gold

Old January 29th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Calf gold

I'm trying to identify an item that was owned by a coin dealer. It's
marked "Genuine Calf Gold 1853 Catalog: $125 FS: $20" The catalog
price and the listed price would be have been current in about 1985.
The person that wrote this was a long-time ANA member and a dealer
with a shop, so it's assumed that there is some catalog reference.
It's in the 2" holder that the dealer marked.

The item itself is so tiny (5/16" across) that it's very difficult to
scan or even to read.

One side seems to have EUREKA in letters across the top and a seated
figure holding a spear. The figure may be a Spanish soldier since the
figure seems to have a pointed helmet on.

The other side has CAL. GOLD (in arc at top) and CHARM (in arc at
bottom) with 1888 in the center. Yes, the coin holder is marked 1853
and the item has 1888.

It seems to be a California gold charm, and the ring is evidence that
it was used as a charm or watch fob item.

I have no idea, though, what catalog a charm might be listed in. I am
very confused about the two dates.

Scans at http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...er213/calf.jpg
but I can't do much to provide an image of the item itself.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old January 29th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I'm trying to identify an item that was owned by a coin dealer. It's
marked "Genuine Calf Gold 1853 Catalog: $125 FS: $20" The catalog
price and the listed price would be have been current in about 1985.
The person that wrote this was a long-time ANA member and a dealer
with a shop, so it's assumed that there is some catalog reference.
It's in the 2" holder that the dealer marked.

The item itself is so tiny (5/16" across) that it's very difficult to
scan or even to read.

One side seems to have EUREKA in letters across the top and a seated
figure holding a spear. The figure may be a Spanish soldier since the
figure seems to have a pointed helmet on.

That's the California Coat of Arms ...

The other side has CAL. GOLD (in arc at top) and CHARM (in arc at
bottom) with 1888 in the center. Yes, the coin holder is marked 1853
and the item has 1888.

Possibly what Mike Locke has called the "Wreath 2" reverse ...

It seems to be a California gold charm, and the ring is evidence that
it was used as a charm or watch fob item.

I have no idea, though, what catalog a charm might be listed in. I am
very confused about the two dates.

Scans at http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...er213/calf.jpg
but I can't do much to provide an image of the item itself.

It's probably a legitimate CHARM (token), i. e., NOT a genuine
fractional gold coin. You can check out Mike's website:

http://www.calgoldcoin.com/wreath2.htm

for the Wreath 2 types, or the main page if the reverse is different.
(WARNING: lotsa images, takes a LONG time to load on dialup)

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old January 29th 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:34:16 -0800, Ken Barr wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

Ain't no "probably". It's the "1888 Arms of California #1,
*CAL. GOLD* CHARM 1888 inside a thin wreath. Wreath style somewhat
different from the others. Same obverse as 1884 #2." just as pictured
on the page.

for the Wreath 2 types, or the main page if the reverse is different.
(WARNING: lotsa images, takes a LONG time to load on dialup)

Popped right up, but I'm on cable.

What took you so long to figure this out? My question was up for at
least 10 minutes.

Still can't figure out the 1853 date written on the holder.

Thanks for the help.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

FS - a few "Gold" cards Dogger Hockey 0 December 6th 04 07:15 PM
Want To Trade These For..., James T. Murdock Jr. Hockey 0 December 4th 04 03:34 PM
TAKE A L@@K PART I! 66% to 75% OFF OVER 10,000 CARDS Rose Hockey 0 February 1st 04 02:12 PM
CHRISTMAS SALE II! 66% to 75% OFF BOOK VALUE Rose Hockey 0 November 30th 03 02:03 PM
4 Sale - McDonalds/All years C Dean Hockey 0 October 6th 03 11:24 PM