Seller Suggests "whizzing" "uncirculated" coin

Old March 27th 04, 02:32 PM
RLWinnetka

Default Seller Suggests "whizzing" "uncirculated" coin

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=54 7
#ebayphotohosting

[1905 U.K. One sovereign gold] "About the size of a US Nickle and uncirculated.
Weighs 7.9881g of .917 gold or .2354 oz AGW. The start is one dollar and thee
is no reserve. NOTE: Te black spot on the rev is easily removed by dipping or
whizzing if desired."

Bob Leonard

Need some comic relief at the moment--and no, this coin has not been graded
"uncirculated" by any grading service, major or otherwise (my opinion is EF,
from the visible digs, not to mention the black spot).
Old March 27th 04, 02:44 PM
John L.

On 27 Mar 2004 14:32:43 GMT, (RLWinnetka) wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=54 7
#ebayphotohosting

[1905 U.K. One sovereign gold] "About the size of a US Nickle and uncirculated.
Weighs 7.9881g of .917 gold or .2354 oz AGW. The start is one dollar and thee
is no reserve. NOTE: Te black spot on the rev is easily removed by dipping or
whizzing if desired."

Bob Leonard

Need some comic relief at the moment--and no, this coin has not been graded
"uncirculated" by any grading service, major or otherwise (my opinion is EF,
from the visible digs, not to mention the black spot).

Notice he also whines in 4 different places in the auction about how
expensive it is for him to accept PayPal. Reminds me of the petshop
owner that insisted I pay for my purchase with cash (even though the
sign on the door stated he accepts credit cards) and used the "they
charge me so much for each transaction" whining bit. Yes, I know
about credit cards and their charges for each sale, but that's just a
part of doing business. Either you accept credit cards and pay the
charges, or you don't, and risk the loss (sometimes big) to your
business of customers (like me) who prefer using credit cards (or
debit cards) for transactions and usually only shop at places that
take credit cards.

John L.
Old March 27th 04, 03:19 PM
Larry Louks

John L. wrote:
Notice he also whines in 4 different places in the auction about how
expensive it is for him to accept PayPal.... Either you accept credit
cards and pay the charges, or you don't, and risk the loss
(sometimes big) to your business of customers (like me) who prefer
using credit cards (or debit cards) for transactions and usually only
shop at places that take credit cards.

Couldn't have said it better meself!

I recently bought a coin from a seller who poor-mouthed me that it was going
to cost him if I elected to pay via PayPal. So what? That is indeed a
decision that one can make or not make. I paid the chap with PayPal, as I
like the speed and convenience of same.

Yet another seller instructed me to add .75 to the sales price if I decided
to use PayPal, since "it will cost me dearly." The two of us had quite a
discussion in the emails that ensued, as I didn't (and still don't) think
she is allowed to tack that charge on for me using PayPal.

Larry
'struggling to decide whether to whiz or dip for best results'

Old March 27th 04, 05:18 PM
Scot Kamins

In article lYg9c.17332$w54.126189@attbi_s01,
"Larry Louks" wrote:

Yet another seller instructed me to add .75 to the sales price if I decided
to use PayPal, since "it will cost me dearly." The two of us had quite a
discussion in the emails that ensued, as I didn't (and still don't) think
she is allowed to tack that charge on for me using PayPal.

I think she is (assuming you're talking about folks not being allowed by
the credit card companies to ask for premium payments to use their
services). PayPal isn't a credit card; it's a credit card (and bank
transfer) acceptance service, so they aren't bound by the same rules.

Scot Kamins
---
***Collecting Euro's (for no apparent reason)***
Old March 27th 04, 05:42 PM
James Higby

You can check PayPal's current policy to find out for sure, but last time I
checked, they specifically prohibit making an upcharge for use of PayPal (in
the U.S. at least). I assume this applies particularly if they advertise in
the auction that they accept PayPal.

Of course, sometimes a seller who does not offer to accept PayPal in their
listing will still accept it if I ask via email. Of those, some accept only
funds from a bank balance, without demanding an upcharge. Others will
accept it with an upcharge. At that point I can decide, having assumed from
the get-go that they did NOT accept PayPal, whether to pay the ransom.

And, I agree, you can't beat electronic fund transfer. It can save three or
more days of needless "waiting" for the payment to get to the seller, and
eliminates additional aggravation of going to the PO for a money order or
waiting for a check to clear.

Old March 27th 04, 06:09 PM
Phil DeMayo

"Larry Louks" wrote:

Yet another seller instructed me to add .75 to the sales price if I decided
to use PayPal, since "it will cost me dearly." The two of us had quite a
discussion in the emails that ensued, as I didn't (and still don't) think
she is allowed to tack that charge on for me using PayPal.

I think she is (assuming you're talking about folks not being allowed by
the credit card companies to ask for premium payments to use their
services). PayPal isn't a credit card; it's a credit card (and bank
transfer) acceptance service, so they aren't bound by the same rules.

PayPal and eBay prohibit payment surcharges. They both suggest that the
"extras" be built into the price of the item or into a reasonable "handling"
fee.

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old March 28th 04, 12:25 AM
Phil DeMayo

Scot Kamins wrote:

Holey Moley!!! I regularly see folks - especially non-USA sellers -
insisting on 4.5% - 5% premiums for using PayPal.

I haven't noticed any exceptions in eBay rules, but there is an exception in
PayPal rules for UK sellers....but with conditions:

Sellers residing in the United Kingdom and listing items for sale on a UK-based
website may impose a surcharge, but only under the following conditions:

1. Both the buyer and seller reside in the United Kingdom;

2. The purchase price is paid in pounds sterling;

3. The surcharge imposed by the seller is no greater than is necessary to
recover the receiving fees incurred by the seller;

4. The seller clearly indicates to the buyer prior to the buyer's submission of
a bid or (in non-auction transactions) prior to completion of the purchase that
a surcharge will be incurred and the amount of the surcharge.

++++++++++
Old March 28th 04, 06:16 AM
A E McIntosh

(RLWinnetka) wrote in
:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3140&category=
547 #ebayphotohosting

[1905 U.K. One sovereign gold] "About the size of a US Nickle and
uncirculated. Weighs 7.9881g of .917 gold or .2354 oz AGW. The start
is one dollar and thee is no reserve. NOTE: Te black spot on the rev
is easily removed by dipping or whizzing if desired."

Bob Leonard

Need some comic relief at the moment--and no, this coin has not been
graded "uncirculated" by any grading service, major or otherwise (my
opinion is EF, from the visible digs, not to mention the black spot).

whizzing? around here that means having a wee on something

*ick*

anita