Jersey Coin Disaster!

Old February 1st 04, 09:50 PM
Harold Fears

Default Jersey Coin Disaster!

Recently, I acquired 5 very nice Jersey copper half pennies (1841-1861).
All were in great shape with very minimal problems and I did pay a premium
for these nice coins. When they arrived in the mail, I review each one and
they all were very pleasing to the eye. Each was properly labeled in a
stapled 2x2. Each night I would scan one coin and then later review under
the microscope. Then, I would place that coin in an Air-Tite holder. I
repeated this process until I finally got to the last one. Today, when I
picked up the last coin for scanning, I noticed that somehow I had damaged
it. There is now a bright ding on Victoria courtesy of my mishandling. We
all know that copper is soft, but I can only assume that I did this via a
staple. You can see the coin at
http://home.hiwaay.net/~hfears/pen13/26_51miii.htm . Anyway, I'm sick about
it -- since this was such a nice coin. Another lessoned learned the hard
way. Take care of your coins immediately.

Do y'all care to share any of your mistakes?

Harold

Old February 1st 04, 10:07 PM
Scottishmoney

"Harold Fears" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry to see your putting a peck on Vickies cheek, but something else also
caught my eye, and maybe you might wanna do a closeup scan of the date, it
looks to me like the 5 of the 1851 is an overdate.

BTW my biggest numismatic disaster was the probable throwing out in the
trash of a 1670 Bristol farthing in VF+ that was one of my first purchases
from note.boy. It came in the post when I had to leave quickly for a family
emergency, I remember looking at it and putting it back in the envelope.
Either my wife or myself threw the envelope out when we returned from down
south.

Dave

---

Old February 1st 04, 10:17 PM
Harold Fears

There are many neat things about this coin. You are correct about it being
an overdate (see http://home.hiwaay.net/~hfears/pen13/26_51liii.htm ). You
can also easily see the many repunched letters. Also striations are
noticeable around the curl and some underneath her chin.

Old February 2nd 04, 11:15 AM
note.boy

I can't bear to look.

I dropped an Alexander TET, the only one I have, down the back of a sofa
chair but it was undamaged, I had visions of dismantling the chair to
get at the coin. Billy

Old February 2nd 04, 11:18 AM
note.boy

And I got £4 less than I paid for it. :-(

It was the nicest of its type that I have ever seen as they are normally
badly corroded.

I have recently bought two very nice Scottish notes from Dave and I can
guarantee that they will not be thrown out. :-) Billy