2 dollar bills

Old August 29th 03, 06:27 AM
Travis McGee

Default 2 dollar bills

I've been collecting US Paper Money for a while now and every so often
I come across a 2 dollar bill with it's corners torn, cut or notched.

Now I've heard that the torn corner represents:

A receipt for a 2 dollar bet.
Evil lives in a 2 dollar bill so a corner is torn to let the evil out.
Good luck, since there is no evil left in the bill.

Some people have attached a mystical value to the 2 dollar bill and
why the corners are missing.

When I was talking to my father about these bills, I expressed my
curiosity as to what the torn corners represent. Are they good luck?
Do they stand for bets? What.

"Simple." says Dad. "they don't represent a thing except that this is
a 2 dollar bill."

When the Red Seal 2 dollar bill was issued in 1928 and 1953 a Red Seal
5 dollar was issued at the same time. People who weren't that swift
as far as money goes would tear the corner of the 2 dollar so they
could tell it from the 5 dollar. If you hold up each bill side by
side you'll see what he means.
Old August 29th 03, 07:38 PM
Fred Shecter

I go through $2000 every week (1000 x $2 = $2000). Some weeks they are BEP CU (so
obviously not torn). Other weeks they are wrapped from the FRB and I do not see torn bills
in those bundles, but they can be VERY worn and stamped with all sorts of messages
(Where's George, etc.). And very rarely do I get a batch wrapped at the bank's regional
cash vault, but when I do those are severely thrashed (although I got a couple of BEP
bundles of 1976 from them a year or so ago). The thrashed bills are sometimes missing up
to 45% of the bill (how nice), but never just the corner.

What regions/areas/cities/states have the tearing problem?

-Fred Shecter
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...shreadv ector

--
""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

"rhodo chrosite" wrote in message
s.com...
I've heard those stories too. In the past year I've spent over 2000 Toms
with 90% used to well used. I have only seen a dozen or so with torn
corners, almost always the upper left corner.

m...

Old September 25th 03, 03:12 PM
Travis McGee

Fred--these are in the 1928 and 1956 series only. If you compare a 2
and a 5 bill with the red seals you will see the resemblance. I'm
sure someone from the Ozarks in the thirties and fourties would be
hard pressed to see the difference without close inspection.