Australian and other foreign coins circulating in New Zealand could be a problem

Old June 4th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Australian and other foreign coins circulating in New Zealand could be a problem

"Dik T. Winter" wrote in message
In article "note.boy"
writes:
Occasionally in the UK a coin from the Isle Of Man or one of the Channel
Islands will be found in circulation, some will be kept for curiosity
value
but most are probably spent as soon as possible. Billy

But they have the same value. It was quite different when the Irish punt
diverged from the UK pound. Coins had still the same size, but while in
Ireland British coinage was accepted, this was not true the other wa
around.
--
dik t. winter, cwi, kruislaan 413, 1098 sj amsterdam, nederland,
+31205924131

They do have the same value marked on them but as they are not legal tender
in the UK their actual value in the UK is zero, they can be passed on at
"face value" of course.

Anyone that receives one in change has being diddled.

The commonest way that I have received them is as change when paying a
bridge toll, they are passed to the person in the toll booth and the vehicle
then speeds away, the toll collector then passes the coin back as change as
soon as they can, the person receiving the coin drops the coins into the
change compartment in the car, having no time to examine the coins of
course, and drives away from the toll booth. Billy

Old June 5th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

writes:
Occasionally in the UK a coin from the Isle Of Man or one of the Channel
Islands will be found in circulation, some will be kept for curiosity
value
but most are probably spent as soon as possible. Billy

But they have the same value. It was quite different when the Irish punt
diverged from the UK pound. Coins had still the same size, but while in
Ireland British coinage was accepted, this was not true the other wa
around.

They do have the same value marked on them but as they are not legal tender
in the UK their actual value in the UK is zero, they can be passed on at
"face value" of course.

And they are passed at face value. Now I still wonder whether the 1 Dollar
coin from the Bermudas that I did receive as a 1 Pound coin in the UK was
really passed at face value (the size etc. was exactly the same). But
things like parking meters seems to me to be very common. And even
spending Scottish bank notes in England becomes easier each year.

The commonest way that I have received them is as change when paying a
bridge toll, they are passed to the person in the toll booth and the vehicle
then speeds away, the toll collector then passes the coin back as change as
soon as they can, the person receiving the coin drops the coins into the
change compartment in the car, having no time to examine the coins of
course, and drives away from the toll booth.

Well, never having spend any time at a toll booth (I never did navigate a
toll road in the UK), I can only say that that is not my experience. What
I can say is that my first Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey and even Gibraltar
coins came from visits in the UK, because I never where in those parts before
the first receipt. Just from shops, pubs and whatever. However, what I
found was that Isle of Man and Channel Islands notes were much easier
accepten in Scotland than in the remainder. And the other way around.
When you are on the Channel Islands you can expext banknotes from the other
islands, Scotland and the Isle of Man in change.