Slightly OT (but not much): You are all BAD PEOPLE who need to be "helped".

Old February 22nd 12, 03:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default Slightly OT (but not much): You are all BAD PEOPLE who need to be "helped".

There is a reasonably well organized media campaign against "hoarders"
nowadays. You see it pretty frequently on television and sometime in
print format...

An example:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ref=weird-news

Anybody who is a "Prepper" or a collector of anything valuable is
being lumped in with all the other OCD folks.

Beware, you coin collectors are sick sick ****s who need to be
"institutionalized", for your own good, of course.

oly
More of a Packrat than most people.
Old February 22nd 12, 02:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Edwin Johnston

On 2/21/2012 9:53 PM, oly wrote:
There is a reasonably well organized media campaign against "hoarders"
nowadays. You see it pretty frequently on television and sometime in
print format...

An example:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...ref=weird-news

Anybody who is a "Prepper" or a collector of anything valuable is
being lumped in with all the other OCD folks.

Beware, you coin collectors are sick sick ****s who need to be
"institutionalized", for your own good, of course.

oly
More of a Packrat than most people.

It's always a tough battle organizing a piece of the world amid the
onslaught of total chaos.
Old February 22nd 12, 02:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...-maps-trash-pi...

Beware, you coin collectors are sick sick @#!*% who need to be
"institutionalized", for your own good, of course.

oly
More of a Packrat than most people.

It's always a tough battle organizing a piece of the world amid the
onslaught of total chaos.- Hide quoted text -

Well said, well put.

oly
Old February 23rd 12, 04:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Hi, my name is Jud and I am a coin collector.

::: HI JUD!

My obsession with completing coin sets has been a financial burden at
times.

::: GROUP NODS KNOWINGLY

Upon completing a set, or coming close to completing one, I venture
into new areas.

::: GROUP MUTTERS IN AGREEMENT

I have joined a number of numismatic groups that pander to my
addiction, like the ANA, TAMS, CWTS among others.

::: GROUP AGAIN NODS AND LOOK AT EACH OTHER

When I see a coin that I already have, but in better condition, I am
compelled to buy it.

::: GROUP BEGINS TO WHISPER AMONGST THEMSELVES

Although I am consistently upgrading my collection, I haven't totally
lost my mind and bought high grade common coins.

::: GROUP LOOKS AT EACH OTHER AGAIN, SOME SHRUGGING THEIR SHOULDERS

I buy coins from the US Mint regularly, but have been disappointed by
them regularly as well.

::: GROUP BEGINS TO LOUDLY AGREE

I have owned many coins that were graded and slabbed by third party
graders, most of which have been cracked out and placed into albums.

::: GROUP SMILES AT ME

I spend so much time on eBay that my fingers automatically fill in the
search box without thinking about it.

::: GROUP BEGINS TO CHEER

Now that I think about it, this 12 step program makes about as much
sense at the Sheldon 70 point scale. I enjoy my collection and
learning about coins. I am not in it for monetary gain, although I
appreciate their increased value. Yes, I am a collector and proud of
it, OCD be damned! I am going to step down now, leave, and go home and
read my latest edition of Coin World. Goodbye, and good luck!

::: GROUP GIVES ME A STANDING OVATION AND WALKS OUT WITH ME.

+++ Minutes of latest RCC meeting +++

Old February 23rd 12, 05:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ice Torch

On Feb 22, 3:53*am, oly wrote:
There is a reasonably well organized media campaign against "hoarders"
nowadays. *You see it pretty frequently on television and sometime in
print format...

An example:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...-maps-trash-pi...

Anybody who is a "Prepper" or a collector of anything valuable is
being lumped in with all the other OCD folks.

Beware, you coin collectors are sick sick ****s who need to be
"institutionalized", for your own good, of course.

oly
More of a Packrat than most people.

Apparently collecting is programmed into the genes and instincts of us
males. It goes back to the times when we were hunter-gatherers. Do you
love the thrill of the chase, the quest, the hunting down of that
particular coin, and finally the taking home of the trophy? Yes, yes,
yes, absolutely yes! Next I'm gonna collect Oly. I'm gonna skin him
and sell his pelt! Nah, only joking, Oly. :-)

Phil.
Old February 23rd 12, 06:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 23, 11:16*am, Ice Torch wrote:
On Feb 22, 3:53*am, oly wrote:

[...]

Phil.- Hide quoted text -

I'm sure that Her Majesty's Government will force all coin collectors
to register and force them to disgorge quantities of common date
silver and gold coins long before it ever happens in America. IIRC,
Harold Wilson's 1st Government did it over there a long time ago to
holders of common sovereigns, and it will happen to you again.

oly
Old February 23rd 12, 09:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ice Torch

I'm sure that Her Majesty's Government will force all coin collectors
to register and force them to disgorge quantities of common date
silver and gold coins long before it ever happens in America. *IIRC,
Harold Wilson's 1st Government did it over there a long time ago to
holders of common sovereigns, and it will happen to you again.

oly

Don't own gold these days, Oly. Used it to get my mortgage paid off
within 7 years, back in the 1990s. Sounds like you do, though. What
did you say your address was again?

Phil.
Old February 23rd 12, 11:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 23, 3:01*pm, Ice Torch wrote:
I'm sure that Her Majesty's Government will force all coin collectors
to register and force them to disgorge quantities of common date
silver and gold coins long before it ever happens in America. *IIRC,
Harold Wilson's 1st Government did it over there a long time ago to
holders of common sovereigns, and it will happen to you again.

oly

Don't own gold these days, Oly. Used it to get my mortgage paid off
within 7 years, back in the 1990s. Sounds like you do, though. What
did you say your address was again?

Phil.

Springpatch. Hometown of Abraham Lincoln and Homer Simpson. Not in
the U.K. However, the PTB don't want you saving in silver either, and
they're very suspicious of anything coiney. Unless you're a home-
grown terrorist, you WILL keep your savings in FRNs and BoE fiats.

oly