One for Tony Antipodes.

Old June 14th 09, 03:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default One for Tony Antipodes.

A curiosity to pose over.

Newspaper wrapper sent as "book post"

Indian Embassy (Nepal) postage 1.1/2 annas to Western Australia.
Indian stamps cancelled at the Embassy,
with additional Nepalese strike to the left,
which I have not attempted to ID as yet.

http://cjoint.com/data/goqhCAdnai.htm

Why India stamps? if it went in despatches, why the Nepalese strike?
Perhaps NepalIndia official service was free?

Old June 15th 09, 08:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

On Jun 15, 12:15 am, "rodney" wrote:
A curiosity to pose over.

Newspaper wrapper sent as "book post"

Indian Embassy (Nepal) postage 1.1/2 annas to Western Australia.
Indian stamps cancelled at the Embassy,
with additional Nepalese strike to the left,
which I have not attempted to ID as yet.

http://cjoint.com/data/goqhCAdnai.htm

Why India stamps? if it went in despatches, why the Nepalese strike?
Perhaps NepalIndia official service was free?

A nice piece Rodney. Mail from Nepal at that time isn't common -
certainly not to WA.

Indian stamps were used for external mail from Nepal for years. (I'm
not sure if Nepal was not a member of the UPU, or if users simply
regarded it as more reliable.) The mails went through the British
Residency, and later Indian Embassy, Post Office.

I couldn't make out much of the Nepalese CDS, but the first two
letters look a little like KA - Kathmandu?

Tony of the Uglies
Old June 15th 09, 09:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Asia-translation"
A nice piece Rodney. Mail from Nepal at that time isn't common -
certainly not to WA.

Consider it yours, if you want it. (amazing I get these shards from the
phossick boxes)

Indian stamps were used for external mail from Nepal for years. (I'm
not sure if Nepal was not a member of the UPU, or if users simply
regarded it as more reliable.) The mails went through the British
Residency, and later Indian Embassy, Post Office.

Thanks that increase my knowledge somewhat.
The CDS is 1948 and Nepal joined UPU in 1956, but I wasn't sure
what was going on in the area at that time.
I know Indian service personnel serving in Nepal had free postage around
1939-1945 IIRC

I couldn't make out much of the Nepalese CDS, but the first two
letters look a little like KA - Kathmandu?

I'll have to dust off my "Nepalese Postmarks compendium" soon .

Rodney of the Handsomes.

Tony of the Uglies

Old June 15th 09, 09:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Well you're not just a pretty face.

I make it a Kathmandu V (5) although this was supposed to be 1949
It definitely isn't Kathmandu 4 for 1948

http://cjoint.com/data/gpkUflM8uk.htm

I am not adept enough to read the Nepalese date stamp, but it looks
like the "2008" on the LHS Kathmandu style 4
Perhaps I am reading 1948 wrong in the Indian CDS or perhaps
it travelled over Christmas

Rodney Kerala.

"Asia-translation"

Old June 15th 09, 09:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Asia-translation"
A nice piece Rodney. Mail from Nepal at that time isn't common -
certainly not to WA.

The front of the wrapper FYI
(did manuscript No: 50 go to Mr. Jeckyll?)

http://cjoint.com/data/gpk2gUottD.htm

Old June 16th 09, 10:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Rodney, thank you for the kind offer, but I've been trying to resist
the siren song from Kathmandu for years. I have enough on my plate
with the proper Uglies, without succumbing to ring-ins.

And to drift slightly away from the topic, have you come across these
lines from Mr Kipling's 'In the Neolithic Age'?
Still the world is wondrous large,-seven seas from marge to marge-
And it holds a vast of various kinds of man;
And the wildest dreams of Kew are the facts of Khatmandhu,
And the crimes of Clapham chaste in Martaban.

Tony of the Gunga Dins

"Asia-translation"

Old June 16th 09, 10:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Rodney, unfortunately the image of your cover is no longer accessible,
but I wouldn't let a little thing like a year date in a CDS derail
you. How often have we seen wrong dates?

And as you quite rightly point out, what was this gentleman doing
receiving 51 Book Posts from Katmandu in those far-off times? Was it
perhaps the potion, in powder form presumably, that kept him from
reverting? Are there any records of terrible crimes around WA from
that time? Where did he go to afterwards? After he stopped taking
the potion, did he go to, say, Canada, and reappear as ... Blair?

"Asia-translation"

Old June 16th 09, 12:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Very nice Tony,
quite pertinent at a time when Britain's loyal subjects, the Gurkhas
have won a long and overdue battle for residency.

"Asia-translation"

discount china authentic tony romo jerseys,romo jerseys,white romojerseys,dallas cowboys tony romo jerseys,tony romo jerseys 2xl,reebok romojerseys,authentic tony romo jerseys www.china-ebay.com Baseball 0 June 25th 08 06:34 PM
Hey Tony Fourofakind Juke Boxes 0 February 14th 07 09:46 AM
Sparks fly in the Antipodes Jeff R. Coins 2 December 14th 06 05:16 AM
Looking for Tony Snipas from NJ / PA [email protected] Juke Boxes 3 May 4th 05 03:57 AM
Thanks Tony Miller DJ Juke Boxes 0 September 17th 04 12:58 AM