Shirley Jones- WARNING. Please read and advise

Old April 13th 04, 11:59 PM
Bcoton

Default Shirley Jones- WARNING. Please read and advise

I am writing this near tears. I have NEVER in all my years of collecting had a
response like this.

Let me backtrack. Some of you may remember my sending Ms. Jones an order to her
production company for an autographed photo (you can only order them, she does
not sign for free). I sent a twenty dollar check in for an inscribed color
photograph. Imagine my disappointment when three days later I received the
photo back UNSIGNED. I emailed the company but had no response so I sent off a
letter. wanted to let you know that nothing could be further from the truth-
indeed today I received a vicious letter from Marty Ingels. Let me explain, I
printed the pages off the website and sent in a 20 dollar check. A few days
later, I received an UNSIGNED color photo in the mail. I was a bit confused but
I thought that maybe a mistake was made, so I emailed the company. No response.
I then wrote a letter explaining that I had received an unsigned photo (I
mailed the photo and the original envelope) and would like a new one. If in
fact the offer was for an unsigned photograph, I wanted my money returned since
20 dollars was a bit much as I am a working graduate student.

Today I received Mr. Ingelshandwritten response on my original letter:

"It occurs that anyone who could get so hostile and surly over an innocent
office mistake is a "FAN it would be worth $20 not to have (stapled a 20 to my
letter). (Run THAT around your working graduate psyche" MI (with 'free' in
parantheses. I presume that it is referring to his signature)"

As you can imagine, this had me in tears. The letter itself was not offensive
(I've had several people read it and would be happy to type it for you) but
this note was. I cannot imagine Ms. Jones is aware that her husband is treating
her fans that way. For Mr. Ingals information, I am on studying to be a
teacher...20 dollars is a lot for a signed photograph.. I do most of my
collecting by mail and 20 dollars was a bit steep when greats like Joan
Fontaine sign for free. Nevertheless I have ordered from several artists and in
my years of collecting I have NEVER received a letter like this.

I can't imagine writing back. I have no idea what to do, however I thought I'd
email every list I belong to and let them know that this is how Shirley treats
her fans. I am just devastated.

Thank you for your time.
Old April 14th 04, 01:44 AM
Mr Black

wow........ the whole thing sounds very nasty.

MrB

---

Old April 14th 04, 01:48 AM
Tommy \2Lipz\

This isn't really Shirley but Marty, but don't cry - laugh. I had Todd try
to get me a lip print from her a couple years ago at the HCS. She yelled at
him and called him a pervert (Sorry again about that Todd!). Todd did get me
that lip print last year, but only after her agent "made" her do it for the
money. Yanno I never had to be in a position where I had to really decide
what I'd do for money, but I'd like to think that there would be a line not
to cross for twenty bucks if I felt it was demeaning or against my
convictions. They got names for women like that in the meat packing district
in NYC. She can be sweetness and light and then a real ballbuster. Her
stormy relationship w/Ingels is well known as is his demeanor.

Shirley in her day was a B+ to A- actress, Ingels he's a hanger-on ,
practically a nobody now a days at least to us.This is copied from his bio
on the IMDB:
Martin Ingerman was born on March 6, 1936 in New York City. He had an older
brother named Arthur. He had a rough childhood and was picked on a lot. He
went to school and after he got out he went into the army. He appeared in a
couple of game shows and won. He wanted to be an actor so he went to
California. He lived with another guy and actually ended up dating and
eventually marrying his roommate's girlfriend. Marty made a couple of
movies, but made it big when he starred with John Astin in I'm Dickens, He's
Fenster. Soon after the show went off the air he and his wife divorced and
he met and married Shirley Jones and became step-father to Shaun, Ryan, and
Patrick Cassidy, sons of Jones from her marriage to Jack Cassidy. He worked
some, but mostly it was up to Shirley to make money. Eventually he started
putting some money away and in a couple of years was able to accumulate over
a million dollars. In 1999 he and Shirley separated for 6 months, but then
got back together.

Notice he dated then married his roomates girlfriend and the comment "it was
up to Shirley to make money", prosecution rests - he's a bum.

Go on to the next celeb - there's plenty of nice ones.

--
Tommy "2Lipz"
See my website http://lipprint.tripod.com

Old April 14th 04, 03:58 AM
dahoov2

This is sad indeed. I'd send her a letter reigistered or something
without your Return address on the outer envelope, but something she
personally MUST sign for. Make it look like a business envelope.
Enclose, your original purchase page, your original letter and the
response you got. Tell her you no longer want her autograph as you
are now soured by the experience. At the very least, you'll get this
off your chest. It'll make you feel loads better and I can tell you a
couple incidents that happened to me...

Robin Scobey or Star Wars (he wasn't a large name, but is credited as
one of the Officers in ESB) I found. He's located in England and I
have a friend in his vicinity and after wiring with no response at
all, I aksed my friend to call for me. He did. It was indeed Robin
Scobey. As soon as my friend asked him one sentence, he preceded in a
tirade of curse words to the likes that even most here would go
"whoa". After another attempt to explain and apologize for bothering
him, he hung up on my friend and personally attacked him. So I sent
off a long letter with photos and told him about why we had wanted his
signature and why we no longer wanted it. I explained that not only
was his character as a human being in serious doubt, but that he was
lowly on the food chain and wasn't worth any further effort.

Next, I got my request back from Paul Hirsch, editor of Star Wars with
nothing but a big X on it.

Likewise, a letter from another with the word NO! written across my
letter.

One time, I sent Michael Sheard 5 requests (not knowing which would
work and in my beginning collecting I didn't know better or have the
patience to wait) and I got back a letter that asked me how many kids
I had and that I was a bit greedy... I now feel sad about this every
time someone mentions his sig.

So you see, these things happen. Best to brush it off and NOT get the
autograph. If you do, it'll be a bitter reminder and not something
you'll treasure. Sounds like you're a personality close to me (I am
an ISTJ on the Briggs Myers scale). So you'll probably feel crappy if
you get it. Time to let the feelings out and move on.

www.starwarsautographcollecting.com
http://dahoov2.topcities.com
Old April 14th 04, 04:03 AM
dahoov2

So, do you think INgels made her like she is? I hear in her early
days, she was kind, polite and even a bit shy. Sad to think fame
turned her into a beast...I think she needs to know how words are
spread here and elsewhere. Now dozens have heard what a jerk he is,
and how it affects her.

Old April 14th 04, 04:03 AM
Beverwyk

It's no secret that Shirley's kids hate Marty as well. She's going to be on
Broadway this month and I'm wondering what she'll be like at the stage door...

Subject: Shirley Jones- WARNING. Please read and advise

Old April 14th 04, 05:14 AM
Gummby3

I'm sorry to hear that happen. My thinking is that this all stemed from a
handling mistake on their end. They then probably read your letter and it
just got blown out of proportion. Did you send the photo back with your
letter to show them? I honestly can't say whether I would write back...
right away anyways. There could have been something going on with them on
their end that day. Who knows? Anyway, I'm sorry that you received the
response that you did.

--

Mike
Gummby3

~~ Star Collector ~~
http://www.star-collector.net
Autograph Authentication Guide
http://www.star-collector.net/authenticationguide.htm

Old April 14th 04, 05:15 AM
xxxnospamxxx

I hear in her early days, she was kind, polite and even a bit shy.

For what it's worth, I met Shirley Jones about a year ago and she was
wonderful. Very nice, signed anything we asked, posed for photos and an even
took extras to insure of a good photo.
Very sweet lady!

JC
Old April 14th 04, 06:04 AM
Mr Black

For what it's worth, I met Shirley Jones about a year ago and she was
wonderful. Very nice, signed anything we asked, posed for photos and an

even
took extras to insure of a good photo.
Very sweet lady!

JC

Thanks Shirley, but sock puppets dont work on this ng

MrB

---

Old April 14th 04, 06:18 AM
Todd F.

Shirely Jones and her people are assholes. She has always been a
bitch. When I met her she at The Hollywood Collectors Show she and her
people were assholes. Don't take it personal... it's not you... they are
just dicks. She had many complaints about her at the show.

Todd F.
--
Todd's Autograph Arena
http://www.toddsautographarena.com