Are "forever" USA postage stamps sold at the current first class mailprice?...

Old April 14th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
the zak

Default Are "forever" USA postage stamps sold at the current first class mailprice?...

Are "forever" USA postage stamps sold at the current first class mail
price?... how does that work?...
Does that mean it's a more economical consumer choice when buying
stamps for letters?...
Old April 14th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Peter Baumann[_2_]

Alan schrieb:
the zak wrote:
Are "forever" USA postage stamps sold at the current first class mail
price?... how does that work?...
Does that mean it's a more economical consumer choice when buying
stamps for letters?...

These stamps will always be valid for first class postage no matter what
price you pay.

It helps the Post Office because they don't need to print new stamps
every time the rate changers and it helps the consumer who doesn't get
stuck with the old rate stamps and have to buy make up values.

Some people in this group think this I dea will not work :-)

Alan

Dos that also aply to the 1st and 2nd stamps of GB?

Peter
Old April 14th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Alan" wrote in message
the zak wrote:
Are "forever" USA postage stamps sold at the current first class mail
price?... how does that work?...
Does that mean it's a more economical consumer choice when buying
stamps for letters?...

These stamps will always be valid for first class postage no matter what
price you pay.

It helps the Post Office because they don't need to print new stamps every
time the rate changers and it helps the consumer who doesn't get stuck
with the old rate stamps and have to buy make up values.

Some people in this group think this I dea will not work :-)

Alan

Never say "forever" :-) For example if the PO would be one day privatized,
the new company won't be happy to have to cover some unknown debts by
servicing the not used "forever" stamps. BTW, this could be a good reason
for the PO to issue as many of such stamps as possible...
As long as the PO has a monopolistic position, it can adjust its prices in a
way to compensate for the difference in price paid for its previous, less
expensive "forever" stamps.

I remember that when a few years ago the Liechtenstein Post was privatized,
most of the earlier stamps were simply demonetized, which reduced the
interest for those stamps. One participant thanked me for announcing here
the news and said that he will try to get rid asap of all his FL stamps.

The big problem with the allegedly "forever" stamps is that they eliminate
the (price) barrier that the PO had to overcome earlier (by issuing stamps
with higher face values) for inflating the costs of its services. Or, in
other word, these stamps are a kind of oil put on the brakes...

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old April 14th 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
David French[_2_]

"Peter Baumann" wrote in message
Alan schrieb:
the zak wrote:
Are "forever" USA postage stamps sold at the current first class mail
price?... how does that work?...
Does that mean it's a more economical consumer choice when buying
stamps for letters?...

These stamps will always be valid for first class postage no matter what price you
pay.

It helps the Post Office because they don't need to print new stamps every time the
rate changers and it helps the consumer who doesn't get stuck with the old rate
stamps and have to buy make up values.

Some people in this group think this I dea will not work :-)

Alan

Dos that also aply to the 1st and 2nd stamps of GB?

Peter

Yes it does - I regularly buy a couple of sheets of 'Non-Value'
stamps when a price increase is announced, so I have enough
to see me through a year or so without paying the increase!

David.

Old April 15th 08, 10:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

Alan schrieb:
the zak wrote:
[...]

Even the 'E' stamps remain valid for postage to Europe, even
though the issue of 'E' stamps ceased some time ago.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old April 15th 08, 10:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message "Victor Manta" wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
the zak wrote:
[...]

The main reason for the issue of NVI stamps in the UK was the fact that
books of stamps started to be sold by commercial outlets. It is these
outlets that got annoyed if a postage rate went up and the old rate books
became almost unsaleable.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... There's no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.
Old April 15th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Well ... considering that the price raises are of the order of 2-5% and
you're prepaying the gummint, your loss of interest and tie up of capital
makes it nearly a draw.

Only valid time to buy is the week before announced price increase, and only
what would be a few month's (3-6?) supply.

The Forever stamps are a big improvement over having to purchase a bunch
of one or two-cent stamps when postal rates go up.

I'd say a year's supply would be a good idea. Of course a year's supply
for me would be about 60 stamps. And it's not as if I'd be stuck with
the stamps when the rates go up again next year.

Bill
Old April 15th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Alan wrote:

Thats a good point. Just buy 1 stamp at a time in case the P.O. is
privatized.

Sure hope you don't have to drive to the post office to pick up your
stamp! vbg

Bill
Old April 15th 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

Tony Clayton found these unused words:

Alan schrieb:
the zak wrote:
[...]

The 2nd Class went up 12% this month, and the 1st 6%....

When I bought the E stamps they were 30p each. They have gone up 67%
to 50p each in 9 years which is 5.84% per year...which is better than
available interest rates in the period.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... It is better to be brief than boring.
Old April 16th 08, 11:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message Alan wrote:

How many E stamps did you purchase ?

I had half a sheet originally, but they have almost all gone.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... :.::: ::..: ::.::. :..:: Tagline in Braille