Modifying Playmaker mode to play the A sides

Old November 10th 04, 09:01 AM
Chuck S

Default Modifying Playmaker mode to play the A sides

Hey there - nice to see so many familiar faces from the Pinball
newsgroup and doubly nice to see none of the infighting that goes on
over there

I have a vague memory of this being covered somewhere a number of
years back... I thought Victory Glass offered a product which would do
just this, but I eMailed them with the request and they eMailed me
back that they never have and currently do not offer a product which
does this.

I have a Rowe R-88 jukebox. While I enjoy strolling up to the main
unit or a wallbox and selecting by hand the songs I want to hear,
sometimes I just want the jukebox to select them for me. Continuous
Playmaker mode would do this for me, but unfortunately Playmaker mode
will only play the B-sides of the records (after all, if Playmaker
played the A sides, Playmaker mode would be a bit of an earnings
killer).

Does someone make a product which will "invert" a portion of the
signal sent to the mech unit to transform a 2xx selection into a 1xx
selection? And is it possible to separate the Playmaker-generated
selections from the manually selected selections so the Playmaker
generated selections would be transformed but the manual selected
selections wouldn't?

I suppose you'd need an inverter between the CCC and the mech
controller *and* an inverter between the keypad and the CCC - with
such a setup manually selected 1xx (or 2xx) selections would be
inverted to a 2xx (or 1xx) selection in the CCC and then reinverted to
the 1xx (or 2xx) selection when it went from the CCC to the mech
controller, and the naturally generated 2xx selection generated from
the playmaker module on the CCC would be transformed to a 1xx
selection as well...

Anything like that exist today?

Thanks,
-Chuck
Old November 10th 04, 11:58 PM
Charlie Maier

Instead of building a circuit, why not just flip the records around in
the basket? Except for having to do the title strips over, probably
less work. Of course, then you will only here the A sides.
Old November 11th 04, 01:27 AM
Ken In Texas

I was just going to suggest that

--
Ken In Texas
http://www.pinballrebel.com

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas.
If he is, he'll tell you on his own.
If he ain't, no need to embarrass him."

Old November 11th 04, 09:41 PM
KLR

On 10 Nov 2004 00:01:07 -0800, (Chuck S) wrote:

If its for home use - then wire a switch that cuts the power to both
of the toggle coils (they are wired in parallel anyway) as the toggle
coils are only energised in the transfer cycle when a B side is to be
played.

(This applies to ALL rowe solid state machines)

-----------------

For location use - we did have a setup for the R-80-83 that did this
by adding a diode in the memory unit, and for the R-84-87 series we
could achieve same using a flip flop that was set when an outoplay
pulse was generated via the 555 timer -= and then reset by the "cam sw
in down position" - whenever this flip flop was "set" it would not
allow the "toggle" coils to operate.

With the later models, where the autoplay was generated in software -
it wasnt possible to achieve this, but there MAY have been an option
setting in the software that allowed it to play all A or all B sides
as randoms.

Old November 12th 04, 11:33 AM
Chuck S

Thanks for all the responses - While putting all the records in the
basket backwards is probably the most elegant solution at first glance
from a tinkering, cost and time perspective, I can't help but think
that when people look at the jukebox or the wallboxes that they will
notice that most of the "A" sides are obscure and all the "B" sides
are really the "A" sides.

I would prefer not to have to have the "Well it's because of Playmaker
mode and this is what it does" conversation a thousand times so my
friends understand why all the records are backwards. I anticipate a
lot of blank stares. The person who would notice the most is me...
I'm anal like that.

Besides... redoing all my title strips (I make my own and have a
minimum of six for each record - one juke strip and five wallbox
strips) for the 1500 records I rotate through the juke doesn't really
sound like my idea of fun.

I'm leaning towards KLR's solution below - I know exactly what he's
talking about and it shouldn't be too difficult to wire the power
which goes to the two solenoids in question through an auxilliary cut
switch to prevent B sides from playing at all.

While it would be a manual process in having to remember to flip that
switch on and off depending upon how the juke is being used, all the
other alternatives which allow me to keep my records "right side up"
involve modding the boards... something I'd prefer to avoid as my
skillset doesn't include the skills necessary to do just that.

But I kan sho' wire up dat switch lickety-split

Thanks again for your time and your suggestions !

-Chuck

Old November 13th 04, 12:47 AM
KLR

On 12 Nov 2004 02:33:03 -0800, (Chuck S) wrote:

[...]

if you are worrying about forgetting whether the switch is on or off -
use a double pole switch, use one side for cutting the solenoid power,
and the other side to switch on a LED or small bulb that can be wired
to the front of the machine as a "reminder" that the B sides are
disabled.

(to wire the led - put it in series with a 470 ohm 1/4 w resistor and
run it from the +8v supply that is present at all the boards in the
machine.)

I did this about 30 years ago with a rockola 1484 that was used for
party hire (as well as for location in emergency) had a self-flashing
pinball bulb behind the price card area that was on when free play was
activated. this way it wouldnt end up on a location on free play by
accident !

While it would be a manual process in having to remember to flip that
switch on and off depending upon how the juke is being used, all the
other alternatives which allow me to keep my records "right side up"
involve modding the boards... something I'd prefer to avoid as my
skillset doesn't include the skills necessary to do just that.

But I kan sho' wire up dat switch lickety-split

Thanks again for your time and your suggestions !

-Chuck

Old November 16th 04, 09:12 AM
RustY©

"Chuck S" wrote in message
I can't help but think
that when people look at the jukebox or the wallboxes that they will
notice that most of the "A" sides are obscure and all the "B" sides
are really the "A" sides.

Plan B - Flip them over and change the numbers over by the title strips
leaving the 'A' sides on top of the strip. Only a real nerd would spot this
!