US ‘Forever’ stamp

Old September 24th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Alan

Default US ‘Forever’ stamp

In this months SG Magaine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

US ‘Forever’ stamp

The US Postal Service has informed the Postal Rate Commission of its
proposals for a ‘Forever’ stamp.

The stamp will not carry a denomination and it will be a ‘non-expiring’
stamp. The stamp would be valid for the ‘first-ounce-First-Class Mail
letter postage’ regardless of the actual rate on the date of use.

The first ‘Forever’ stamp will be sold at the new rate (42 cents if the
Postal Service proposal is approved) and will be available just before
rates change.

The design of the stamp is currently under review and will be announced
by the Postal Service at a later date.

The Postal Service considered the experiences of foreign postal
administrations in developing its plans for a ‘Forever’ stamp. The
experiences of Great Britain and France, in particular, have been useful
guides in as-sessing the project.
Old September 24th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Alan" skrev i en meddelelse
[...]

Canada Post has announced a similar issue scheduled for Nov. 16, 2006
http://www.rpsc.org/canadapost.htm
(scroll to bottom of page)
--
Mette
Outgoing messages checked with Norton AV

Old September 25th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
ian-b

Alan wrote:

The US Postal Service has informed the Postal Rate Commission of its
proposals for a 'Forever' stamp.

For lengthy discussions on the merits and demerits of the proposal, see
http://forums.delphiforums.com/stamp...es?msg=22019.1 on the
Virtual Stamp Club

Ian Billings
Norvic Philatelics
www.norphil.co.uk APS, ATA, VSC

Old October 16th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
dtf

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 20:13:28 GMT, Alan wrote:

[...]

Sorry for being so stupid, but if the rate changes a year later how
does a forever stamp assume a new value as opposed to the old one.
This stamp I assume never has any printing changes or it would not
be a "forever" stamps. Thanks for your time and effort.

Don

Old October 17th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
dtf

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:55:12 GMT, Alan wrote:

dtf wrote:
[...]

Hi Alan;
I am not doing too well. Let me try another way to get by my
confusion. The new stamp comes out at lets say 42c - I buy
1000 of them. Two years later the same stamp is now 45c
because of a rate increase. So if I buy enough of these little
critters, I will only have to pay what the originals cost and and
they would be worth the new increase two years later.

Thanks again
Don
Old October 17th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Alan

dtf wrote:

[...]

Thats right, exactly. And the post office gets your money, interest
free and saves on reprinting stamps every time theres a price increase.
Its been working well in many countries in Europe for many years.
England from about 1989 I think.
Old October 17th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Alan

from www.gbstamps.com

"In the United Kingdom, these stamps are called “non-value indicators”
or “NVI’s.” The first NVI’s were issued in 1989. At that time, Royal
Mail was beginning to use private retailers, such as drug stores and
supermarkets, to sell stamps to the public. The NVI’s were created to
avoid problems at the time of postal rate changes.

With normal denominated stamps, sellers can be left with obsolete
inventory when a postal rate changes. This inventory would have to be
returned to Royal Mail and replaced by stamps at the new rates. At the
same time, customers holding stamps of the obsolete value might try to
exchange them for new ones or would need to purchase small-value stamps
to make up the difference. For example, a customer with 19p stamps might
want to purchase 1p stamps when the rate increased to 20p. This requires
extra postal staff to handle the demand and costs the postal service
money to print and distribute the make-up rate stamps.

Customers not wishing to go to the trouble of getting make-up rate
stamps sometimes simply ignore the increase and run the risk of having
their letters marked “Postage Due” and become subject to a steep fee (Ł1
at the time of this writing). Alternatively, they sometimes use two of
the old stamps — good for postal revenue, bad for customer satisfaction."

Old October 17th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

dtf wrote:
[...]

That's highly unlikely. More than likely, there'll be some identifier
such as a date stamp like they have now on the lower left of some U.S.
stamps.
Old October 17th 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
dtf

dtf wrote:
[...]

Thanks guys, sometimes take a while for an old brain to catch on.
Have a good one.

Don