More medals...

Old August 11th 03, 02:56 AM
The Numismasochist

Default More medals...

Thanks for the look at the medals.
I like high relief coins, and just about any thing else. I realized
while shopping around for some new furniture stuff this weekend with
SWMBO that my coin fetish is carrying over to furniture decorative
accessories. Anything in metal with high carved or stamped or forged
relief kind of gets me excited.

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 21:32:55 -0400, Chrysta Wilson
wrote:

Just checking out e-Bay looking for some medals to like...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...47&category=34
54
I like the way the light is hitting this in the photo so that it looks
like light streaming in the window on the medal...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...47&category=34
54
I like this, but am not sure just what appeals to me about it.

On the subject of high relief:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...88&category=34
54
Not sure what this is, but the relief sure looks high!

Chrysta

----------------------
Mickey W

----------------------
Old August 11th 03, 03:13 AM
Ankaaz

Chrysta wrote:

"Just checking out e-Bay looking for some medals to like...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...47&category=34
54
I like the way the light is hitting this in the photo so that it looks
like light streaming in the window on the medal...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...47&category=34
54
I like this, but am not sure just what appeals to me about it."

Same medal?

I think we should alert Mr. Haroutunian. This medals's got his name written
all over it. ;-)

Anka Z
Co-president of the once thriving, but now defunct, Tommy John Fan Club.
Go, Lake County Captains!

Old August 11th 03, 04:12 AM
Phil DeMayo

Chrysta Wilson wrote:

And after I posted this, I found the stuff I was really looking for.
Duh...didn't do the "completed items" search. I am very intrigued (and
apparently so are a lot of other people) by the work of Karl Goetz.
Here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...09&category=34
54

On eBay auction URLs you can drop the "category" from the URL to avoid "wrap"
problems. This will also get you to the auction:

Sometimes the "category" is within the URL rather than at the end. When
deleting it just make sure you leave "ViewItem&Item=" before the auction item
number.

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old August 11th 03, 04:15 AM
Dale Hallmark

"Chrysta Wilson" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Thanks for the look at the medals.
I like high relief coins, and just about any thing else. I realized
while shopping around for some new furniture stuff this weekend with
SWMBO that my coin fetish is carrying over to furniture decorative
accessories. Anything in metal with high carved or stamped or forged
relief kind of gets me excited.

And after I posted this, I found the stuff I was really looking for.
Duh...didn't do the "completed items" search. I am very intrigued (and
apparently so are a lot of other people) by the work of Karl Goetz.
Here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...09&category=34
54

And the search page on which I found others...(just look at the expensive
ones!):
http://tinyurl.com/jlyj

Does anyone know if there is a book about these? This is the kind of
thing I would love to read about.

Yes there is literature available about Karl Goetz. The medals are not
cheap and the literature isn't either.
The Lusitannia medal is the one that comes to most peoples mind when Karl
Goetz is
mentioned. He was a satirist with a lot of his medals. It had the wrong
date on it and the British used that fact to
create a propanganda medal of their own.
A copy of the Goetz's medal issued at the same time.
The British version (with papers) but with less relief and less detail can
be had for around $40 or a little less.
vs 200-300 for the original. A very facinating group of medals and I think
a lot of room for price increases.
Not my area of expertise but someting I am interested in never-the-less.
I think I remember that he made just under 400 medals in his life but don't
take that as a fact :-)

Dale

Old August 11th 03, 03:41 PM
Dale Hallmark

"Wolfgang Haeupler" wrote in message
Snip
The "real" Goetz medals are from 200 to 500 Dollar.
There are two different, one with the false date,
"5. Mai 1915" and another one with the right date,
"7. Mai 1915" which is rarer and more expensive.
You don´t really know how many of the Lusitania
medals were made but Goetz was known for melting
his unsold medals again, so the number of 400 medals
might be true or not.
However, there shouldn´t be more than 50 to 70
pieces of the "7. Mai 1915" medals.

Hi Wolfgang

The 400 number I was referring to wasn't the mintage of the medal but the number of
different medals he created in his lifetime. It was just something I heard once and
may have no relevance to the real world at all.

Dale
disseminator of questionable data

Old August 11th 03, 06:23 PM
Chrysta Wilson

In article ,
ulsion says...
Chrysta Wilson wrote:

And after I posted this, I found the stuff I was really looking for.
Duh...didn't do the "completed items" search. I am very intrigued (and
apparently so are a lot of other people) by the work of Karl Goetz.
Here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...09&category=34
54

On eBay auction URLs you can drop the "category" from the URL to avoid "wrap"
problems. This will also get you to the auction:

Sometimes the "category" is within the URL rather than at the end. When
deleting it just make sure you leave "ViewItem&Item=" before the auction item
number.

Thanks, Phil. If I wasn't so lazy, I would have tinyurl-ed them. I will
delete the category in the future!

Chrysta
Old August 11th 03, 10:47 PM
Aram H. Haroutunian

Ankaaz wrote:

Chrysta wrote:

"Just checking out e-Bay looking for some medals to like...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...47&category=34
54
I like the way the light is hitting this in the photo so that it looks
like light streaming in the window on the medal...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...47&category=34
54
I like this, but am not sure just what appeals to me about it."

Same medal?

I think we should alert Mr. Haroutunian. This medals's got his name written
all over it. ;-)

Anka Z
Co-president of the once thriving, but now defunct, Tommy John Fan Club.
Go, Lake County Captains!

Thanks for the heads up. What does "Vovit" mean? For that matter, what
is
"Aram Vovit?"
Aram.