A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Coins
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

shoebox of - .10, .25, .50, 1.00

Old December 14th 12, 03:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick
external usenet poster

Default shoebox of - .10, .25, .50, 1.00

"oly" wrote in message

On Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:17:13 PM UTC-6, bremick wrote:
"oly" wrote in message
... On Thursday,
December 13, 2012 6:49:59 PM UTC-6, bremick wrote: "ps56k" wrote in
message ... "Jud"
wrote in message
... Silver coins
(1964 and earlier) are worth 23.5 X face value, just for the silver in

them. Silver dollars a little more. Best bet is to find someone who knows
about coins rather than trying to take a crash course in numismatics.

Yes, certain dates/mintmarks are worth more. I suggest getting a copy of
the 'Red Book' to get a basic idea, but when going to sell, get 2 or 3
offers before taking anyone up on it. --- tnx for the reply - So.... I'm
guessing the basic steps in sorting the bags fulls of coins would be by
year...or maybe a "break date". Not sure if the 1964 date is true for
all 4 coins ? Is 1964 a break date between when the metal or "type" was
worth more vs current coinage ? Are there different styles or design
changes or metal content - by date for each ? For all I know at this
point, they could be all from the 1950's or the
1970's ---------------------- Year-wise, U.S. dimes, quarters, and half
dollars dated 1964 and earlier are of 90% silver content. Also, be aware
that normal Eisenhower dollar coins saved from circulation and the more
recent small dollar coins are not "silver". As for certain dates and
mint marks that might command a premium, if those baggies contain
circulated 1950's and later coins the odds are against finding any that
would justify buying a "Redbook" price guide. But then you might just
get the coin bug while examining them. I don't want to disagree with Mr. R
in a major way, but I gotta say that not paying for a Red Book is the
proverbial penny-wise and pound-foolish. The most you gotta pay is $14.95
plus sales tax (for a spiral bound edition, perhaps the old hard cover
edition may be cheaper) and it isn't difficult to get one cheaper when
booksellers offer discounts via membership cards or coupons. Buy a Red
Book for "peace of mind", it will reassure you that you didn't let a
valuable coin go for one-tenth or one-one hundreth (or maybe worse) of its
numismatic value. I have spent a whole lot of money on numismatic books
and they have never cost me a single red cent. Sometimes they help me make
good decisions when selling coins, sometimes they help me make better
decisions when buying coins and most often they help me with the "negative
decision" to avoid a coin that is likely overpriced or not as scarce as my
(now) defective memory makes me think. The cumulative profit and loss
avoidance affect of all these decisions is rather greater than the price
of the books themselves. And I am not in this for commercial reasons; I
want to collect coins, lots of them, and not get taken by the sharpies.
oly --------------------- Most would agree with you, Oly, but in this case
all this poster seems to care about is putting a rough value on a few
baggies of found coins that most likely were saved from the past 50 years
or so. In that case, he might be misled (knowing nothing about grading) by
the prices he will see in the book. He may be better off with a Blue Book.
If does find a few older coins in the baggies, a search on eBay might
serve him better than a Red Book, assuming he will have no interest in
coins as a hobby once he cashes in his find.

Mr. Remick, a single common, late date Franklin half dollar goes for $12 to
$20 (maybe more if its really nice) nowadays; get a Red Book!!! It's
cheap!!!

The Red Book (admitedly a retail, not wholesale price guide) is a neophyte's
best defense against the many "dealers" who would offer you three times face
value for your silver coins. The number of undercapitalized bums in the
gold and silver business, living hand-to-mouth, has never ever ever been
greater than today.

If you can find a coin book in a Public Library (and I think that that will
be much much more difficult than older timers realize), well the broken-out
cost of the gasoline for two round trips to the Library (pickup and return)
would be most of the cost of the Red Book.

Finally, I defy you to go out in your community or to the nearest big retail
center and to find a Blue Book. You won't find it on the first day you go
looking.

One could get a copy of the monthly "slick" magazine edition of Coin World -
their price listings are O.K. (but mostly lack photographs) but even there
you spend $6.

Best Christmas wishes to you, Mr. R-

oly

Thanks, Oly. Same to you. I agree that the library should be an option to
examine or borrow a Red Book or some other price guide, since the OP gave no
sign that he/she wanted to pursue coins as a hobby. If I were the OP, I
would check eBay as a "real world" Blue Book to see if anyone is actually
buying a specific date/mint coin and what they are paying for it. The OP
was already told here how many times face value dealers advertise they will
pay for 90% silver coins. Now it's up to the OP to use that information as
a guide if he/she finds some silver in those baggies. The next hard part,
as a non-collector, may be to locate a local buyer who will offer something
in that range, assuming he/she doesn't feel comfortable sending the silver
coins off to a coin or bullion dealer.

I have long subscribed to both CW and NN. Since it morphed into a "slick"
weekly, I find CW to have become more like a trade journal for the high end
collector while NN remains more of a mom & pop collector-oriented newsprint
magazine. Lately, I enjoy reading NN more because of its collector
opinions. They even have retained a For Trade section in the classifieds
section. Years ago, I enjoyed using that feature in CW before it turned
into a "my avg circ large cent for your $2.00 silver" bore.

Ads
Old December 14th 12, 05:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly
external usenet poster

On Friday, December 14, 2012 8:20:15 AM UTC-6, bremick wrote:
"oly" wrote in message ... On Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:17:13 PM UTC-6, bremick wrote: "oly" wrote in message ... On Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:49:59 PM UTC-6, bremick wrote: "ps56k" wrote in message ... "Jud" wrote in message ... Silver coins (1964 and earlier) are worth 23.5 X face value, just for the silver in them. Silver dollars a little more. Best bet is to find someone who knows about coins rather than trying to take a crash course in numismatics. Yes, certain dates/mintmarks are worth more. I suggest getting a copy of the 'Red Book' to get a basic idea, but when going to sell, get 2 or 3 offers before taking anyone up on it. --- tnx for the reply - So.... I'm guessing the basic steps in sorting the bags fulls of coins would be by year...or maybe a "break date". Not sure if the 1964 date is true for all 4 coins ? Is 1964 a break date between when the metal or "type" was worth more vs current coinage ? Are there different styles or design changes or metal content - by date for each ? For all I know at this point, they could be all from the 1950's or the 1970's ---------------------- Year-wise, U.S.. dimes, quarters, and half dollars dated 1964 and earlier are of 90% silver content. Also, be aware that normal Eisenhower dollar coins saved from circulation and the more recent small dollar coins are not "silver". As for certain dates and mint marks that might command a premium, if those baggies contain circulated 1950's and later coins the odds are against finding any that would justify buying a "Redbook" price guide. But then you might just get the coin bug while examining them. I don't want to disagree with Mr. R in a major way, but I gotta say that not paying for a Red Book is the proverbial penny-wise and pound-foolish. The most you gotta pay is $14.95 plus sales tax (for a spiral bound edition, perhaps the old hard cover edition may be cheaper) and it isn't difficult to get one cheaper when booksellers offer discounts via membership cards or coupons. Buy a Red Book for "peace of mind", it will reassure you that you didn't let a valuable coin go for one-tenth or one-one hundreth (or maybe worse) of its numismatic value. I have spent a whole lot of money on numismatic books and they have never cost me a single red cent. Sometimes they help me make good decisions when selling coins, sometimes they help me make better decisions when buying coins and most often they help me with the "negative decision" to avoid a coin that is likely overpriced or not as scarce as my (now) defective memory makes me think. The cumulative profit and loss avoidance affect of all these decisions is rather greater than the price of the books themselves. And I am not in this for commercial reasons; I want to collect coins, lots of them, and not get taken by the sharpies. oly --------------------- Most would agree with you, Oly, but in this case all this poster seems to care about is putting a rough value on a few baggies of found coins that most likely were saved from the past 50 years or so. In that case, he might be misled (knowing nothing about grading) by the prices he will see in the book. He may be better off with a Blue Book. If does find a few older coins in the baggies, a search on eBay might serve him better than a Red Book, assuming he will have no interest in coins as a hobby once he cashes in his find. Mr. Remick, a single common, late date Franklin half dollar goes for $12 to $20 (maybe more if its really nice) nowadays; get a Red Book!!! It's cheap!!! The Red Book (admitedly a retail, not wholesale price guide) is a neophyte's best defense against the many "dealers" who would offer you three times face value for your silver coins. The number of undercapitalized bums in the gold and silver business, living hand-to-mouth, has never ever ever been greater than today. If you can find a coin book in a Public Library (and I think that that will be much much more difficult than older timers realize), well the broken-out cost of the gasoline for two round trips to the Library (pickup and return) would be most of the cost of the Red Book. Finally, I defy you to go out in your community or to the nearest big retail center and to find a Blue Book. You won't find it on the first day you go looking. One could get a copy of the monthly "slick" magazine edition of Coin World - their price listings are O.K. (but mostly lack photographs) but even there you spend $6. Best Christmas wishes to you, Mr. R- oly ________________ Thanks, Oly.. Same to you. I agree that the library should be an option to examine or borrow a Red Book or some other price guide, since the OP gave no sign that he/she wanted to pursue coins as a hobby. If I were the OP, I would check eBay as a "real world" Blue Book to see if anyone is actually buying a specific date/mint coin and what they are paying for it. The OP was already told here how many times face value dealers advertise they will pay for 90% silver coins. Now it's up to the OP to use that information as a guide if he/she finds some silver in those baggies. The next hard part, as a non-collector, may be to locate a local buyer who will offer something in that range, assuming he/she doesn't feel comfortable sending the silver coins off to a coin or bullion dealer. I have long subscribed to both CW and NN. Since it morphed into a "slick" weekly, I find CW to have become more like a trade journal for the high end collector while NN remains more of a mom & pop collector-oriented newsprint magazine. Lately, I enjoy reading NN more because of its collector opinions. They even have retained a For Trade section in the classifieds section. Years ago, I enjoyed using that feature in CW before it turned into a "my avg circ large cent for your $2.00 silver" bore.

See page 86 (I think)of the 60th Anniversary issue of NN (late Oct)...

oly
Old December 15th 12, 12:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
ps56k
external usenet poster

thanks to all for the replies -

I think the first step will be to sort thru what we have - by date -
and then go from there....

Old December 15th 12, 03:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis
external usenet poster

On Dec 14, 6:40*pm, "ps56k" wrote:
thanks to all for the replies -

I think the first step will be to sort thru what we have - by date -
and then go from there....

That's the way to start. Good luck, and I hope you find something
interesting.

Jerry
Old December 15th 12, 08:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23
external usenet poster

On Dec 14, 6:49*am, oly wrote:
On Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:17:13 PM UTC-6, bremick wrote:
"oly" wrote in ... On Thursday, December 13, 2012 6:49:59 PM UTC-6, bremick wrote: "ps56k" wrote in ... "Jud" wrote in message ... Silver coins (1964 and earlier) are worth 23.5 X face value, just for the silver in them. Silver dollars a little more. Best bet is to find someone who knows about coins rather than trying to take a crash course in numismatics. Yes, certain dates/mintmarks are worth more. I suggest getting a copy of the 'Red Book' to get a basic idea, but when going to sell, get 2 or 3 offers before taking anyone up on it. --- tnx for the reply - So.... I'm guessing the basic steps in sorting the bags fulls of coins would be by year...or maybe a "break date". Not sure if the 1964 date is true for all 4 coins ? Is 1964 a break date between when the metal or "type" was worth more vs current coinage ? Are there different styles or design changes or metal content - by date for each ? For all I know at this point, they could be all from the 1950's or the 1970's ---------------------- Year-wise, U.S. dimes, quarters, and half dollars dated 1964 and earlier are of 90% silver content. Also, be aware that normal Eisenhower dollar coins saved from circulation and the more recent small dollar coins are not "silver". As for certain dates and mint marks that might command a premium, if those baggies contain circulated 1950's and later coins the odds are against finding any that would justify buying a "Redbook" price guide. But then you might just get the coin bug while examining them. I don't want to disagree with Mr. R in a major way, but I gotta say that not paying for a Red Book is the proverbial penny-wise and pound-foolish. The most you gotta pay is $14.95 plus sales tax (for a spiral bound edition, perhaps the old hard cover edition may be cheaper) and it isn't difficult to get one cheaper when booksellers offer discounts via membership cards or coupons. Buy a Red Book for "peace of mind", it will reassure you that you didn't let a valuable coin go for one-tenth or one-one hundreth (or maybe worse) of its numismatic value. I have spent a whole lot of money on numismatic books and they have never cost me a single red cent. Sometimes they help me make good decisions when selling coins, sometimes they help me make better decisions when buying coins and most often they help me with the "negative decision" to avoid a coin that is likely overpriced or not as scarce as my (now) defective memory makes me think. The cumulative profit and loss avoidance affect of all these decisions is rather greater than the price of the books themselves. And I am not in this for commercial reasons; I want to collect coins, lots of them, and not get taken by the sharpies. oly --------------------- Most would agree with you, Oly, but in this case all this poster seems to care about is putting a rough value on a few baggies of found coins that most likely were saved from the past 50 years or so. In that case, he might be misled (knowing nothing about grading) by the prices he will see in the book. He may be better off with a Blue Book. If does find a few older coins in the baggies, a search on eBay might serve him better than a Red Book, assuming he will have no interest in coins as a hobby once he cashes in his find.

Mr. Remick, a single common, late date Franklin half dollar goes for $12 to $20 (maybe more if its really nice) nowadays; get a Red Book!!! *It's cheap!!!

The Red Book (admitedly a retail, not wholesale price guide) is a neophyte's best defense against the many "dealers" who would offer you three times face value for your silver coins. *The number of undercapitalized bums in the gold and silver business, living hand-to-mouth, has never ever ever been greater than today.

If you can find a coin book in a Public Library (and I think that that will be much much more difficult than older timers realize), well the broken-out cost of the gasoline for two round trips to the Library (pickup and return) would be most of the cost of the Red Book.

Finally, I defy you to go out in your community or to the nearest big retail center and to find a Blue Book. *You won't find it on the first day you go looking.

One could get a copy of the monthly "slick" magazine edition of Coin World - their price listings are O.K. (but mostly lack photographs) but even there you spend $6.

Best Christmas wishes to you, Mr. R-

oly

Luckily I live near Books_a_Million and they carry plenty of the red
and blue guide books and plus many other titles I would never use.
Old December 15th 12, 03:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF[_10_]
external usenet poster

"sgt23" wrote in message

... plus many other titles I would never use.

Nor be able to read since they are written beyond a first grade level.

Old December 15th 12, 06:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly
external usenet poster

On Dec 15, 8:49*am, "RF" wrote:
"sgt23" *wrote in message

The "and plus" really threw me for a loop. Without that "conjunction"
I might have been able to be snarky.

oly
Old December 16th 12, 03:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23
external usenet poster

On Dec 15, 9:49*am, "RF" wrote:
"sgt23" *wrote in message

Do you kiss your mother with the same testicular breath?
Old December 17th 12, 08:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
ps56k
external usenet poster

"ps56k" wrote in message
I have a shoebox in the bottom of our dresser that I think was from our
parents house.
It has a couple of baggies of dimes, quarters, 1/2 dollars, and maybe some
silver dollars.

How should I go thru the coins to determine what is what ?
ie - not being a coin collector......
which of the vintages would be worth bringing to a dealer vs just normal
coinage ?

--

well - here's my first run at the shoebox....
BTW - tossed it on the scale - 12 lbs

Dollars - just a couple,
thought there were more - 1971, 74, 76

Half - 1963 and older - Franklin
1964 - Kennedy
1965-72 Kennedy
also have some 1940's - Liberty

Quarters - 2 bags - not sorted them yet -
but have a couple 1925 very warn flat quarters

Dimes - 1950s, and 1960, 61, 62, 63, 64
also have a couple 1940s Liberty

Old December 17th 12, 09:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly
external usenet poster

On Dec 17, 1:58*pm, "ps56k" wrote:
"ps56k" wrote in message

I have a shoebox in the bottom of our dresser that I think was from our
parents house.
It has a couple of baggies of dimes, quarters, 1/2 dollars, and maybe some
silver dollars.

How should I go thru the coins to determine what is what ?
ie - not being a coin collector......
which of the vintages would be worth bringing to a dealer vs just normal
coinage ?

--

well - here's my first run at the shoebox....
BTW - tossed it on the scale - 12 lbs

Dollars - just a couple,
* * thought there were more - 1971, 74, 76

Half - 1963 and older - Franklin
* * * * * 1964 - Kennedy
* * * * * 1965-72 Kennedy
* * * * also have some 1940's - Liberty

Quarters - 2 bags - not sorted them yet -
* * * * but have a couple 1925 very warn flat quarters

Dimes - 1950s, and 1960, 61, 62, 63, 64
* * * also have a couple 1940s Liberty

Just FYI, the 40% silver Kennedys run 1965 through 1969.

Kennedys dated 1971 and 1972 are totally copper-nickel and are super
common.

oly