What is your opinion on coin / medallic / token covers?

Old February 13th 12, 10:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

Default What is your opinion on coin / medallic / token covers?

"Toke Nørby" wrote in message
"Bremick" wrote:

"Jud" wrote in message
There once was a time when stamps were very collectible, but the US
government came out with too many issues in a year (hear that US
Mint?), values and interest in the hobby went down. If I had shown any
interest in stamps I could have come into 2 large collections from my
grandparents. Both my mother's father, and my father's mother were
presidents of a local coin club at different times. My father
collected First Day Covers. After he died my stepmother went to sell
the collection and wasn't even offered face value! These FDC's went
back to the 1920's. My grandparent's stamp collections were sold for
quite a bit less than they paid for them over a 50 year period. Stamp
collecting is on life support, prognosis not good. Coin collecting is
in the ambulance headed to the hospital.

Agreed. Trying to sell the coins in the albums and envelopes your
grandparents might have saved fifty years ago would likely be frustrating
today unless professionally they were graded and slabbed (not your
grandparents). The ridiculous growing assortment of grade categories for
each annual Mint-issued "for collectors" item is confounding many of those
who had been building sets. I feel sorry for someone on a limited budget
who has been collecting annual proof Eagles since their beginning. Now,
if
they plan to continue, they will have a hard time ignoring the special
reverse proofs. And they surely will be excited over prospects of
possibly
having one or more annual "special" proofs in the future.

I'd be surprised if this doesn't encourage more people to retreat into the
past and concentrate more on historic coinage rather than on everything
the
Mint comes up with each year. That may be one good consequence.

Jud and Bremick
In some way I can't disagree with you as you talk about the worst
items of all. Normal FDCs are not worth the face value and
unfortunately some mint stamps aren't too.

I have no idea of proof Eagles but can imagine that these are as bad
as FDCs.

BUT- why have people bought these items year after year - coin
collectors probably know that buying these coins are pure waste of
money? unless you don't care about getting your money back some day.

But if you do care about the future value - would you then buy proof
Eagles unless it's just for fun? Probably not. We have the same
problem with FDCs.

Can you warn your collector friends against buying these proofs?

It's not so much the "quality" of the proof Silver Eagles as it is getting
caught up in the habit of collecting them, strictly as an example. Many
collectors have ordered these proof Eagles from the Mint since first offered
in 1886. After budgeting to add a new one to the collection each year, many
collectors were jolted by a special reverse proof issue in 2006-- obtained
only by buying the special set-- followed by the Mint's decision not to
produce a proof Eagle at all in 2009, and then the 5-coin set in 2011.
There goes the budget. At least theese coins have held their value as the
value of silver bullion has risen.

Old February 14th 12, 07:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

On Feb 13, 4:16*pm, "Bremick" wrote:
*Many
collectors have ordered these proof Eagles from the Mint since first offered
in 1886.

1986, but we knew what you meant Bruce! 8-)

Old February 14th 12, 02:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"Jud" wrote in message
On Feb 13, 4:16 pm, "Bremick" wrote:
Many
collectors have ordered these proof Eagles from the Mint since first
offered
in 1886.

1986, but we knew what you meant Bruce! 8-)
----------

I guess that's what happens when you try to combine genealogy writing with
comments on modern mint products in the same night. Thanks for the heads
up. I'll have to watch those 9 and 8 keys more carefully.

Old August 6th 13, 06:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.coins
Toke Nørby

Toke Nørby wrote:

Ken Barr wrote:

Philatelic Numismatic Combinations (PNCs) had their heyday in the 1960's
and 1970's ... they've been pretty much moribund since then. 99 Company

....snip
http://coincollector.org/archives/003604.html

The Society of Philatelists and Numismatists (SPAN) was the collector
organization most closely devoted to PNCs, but it also seems to have
disappeared. I was a member back in the 1980's, mainly because they
were producing souvenir cards, but I haven't seen or heard anything of
them in at least ten years.

Thanks a lot for this background story - really interesting! I'll
certainly dig out some nuggets from that archive (and refer to this
posting of yours).

Now I have "finished" a little series of 5 parts on the pnc-subject. I
hope you will enjoy it (even it's in Danish - but let Google help you
with the translation :-)

http://norbyhus.dk/artiklermm/pnc/kap1.html

Again thank you all for your comments!
Mvh
Toke
--

Læs om "Skivearket" og "Skibsgrisens Flugt"
eller om Klasselotteriets inspektører 1753-2010:

Your Opinion Please, Fake Coin? El Vigilante Coins 8 August 10th 05 08:06 AM
Opinion Wanted on Euro Coin Set PCameron Coins 10 March 8th 04 09:47 PM
Opinion on software to manage coin collection. gogu Coins 0 February 20th 04 06:11 PM
Coin Store Opinion fonty Coins 4 January 28th 04 02:33 AM
how about an opinion on this coin please Crownliner Coins 21 January 13th 04 03:30 AM