My Home in the Field of Honour?

Old May 29th 05, 06:06 PM
krik999

Default My Home in the Field of Honour?

I picked up the book My Home in the Field of Honour by Frances Wilson Huard
yesterday.I was delighted to find a black watercolor (or ink) drawing of a
World War I French soldier and signature by the author on the page after the
copyright page. The wet ink left a mark on the copyright page making me
think it is truely authentic. Does anyone else have a copy of this or can
anyone shed some light on the author?
Thanks
Gary

Old May 29th 05, 10:44 PM
Francis A. Miniter

krik999 wrote:
I picked up the book My Home in the Field of Honour by Frances Wilson Huard
yesterday.I was delighted to find a black watercolor (or ink) drawing of a
World War I French soldier and signature by the author on the page after the
copyright page. The wet ink left a mark on the copyright page making me
think it is truely authentic. Does anyone else have a copy of this or can
anyone shed some light on the author?
Thanks
Gary

Hi Gary,

Frances Wilson Huard is not an easy person about whom to locate biographical
information. I have done some searches on the internet and so far have only
found the following:

She was born in 1885. I have never been able to determine if she was American
or English. I tended to think of her as English until I discovered that in 1921
she wrote a preface to a book by Francois Boucher entitled "American footprints
in Paris; a guide book of historical data pertaining to Americans in the French
capital from the earliest days to the present times". That pushed the needle
back to neutral, maybe leaning toward her being American. She married Charles
Huard (1874 - 1965), a well-to-do Frenchman before WWI, and they lived at his
substantial home to the east of Paris. WWI came and engulfed their property.
This resulted in her memoir, "My Home in the Field of Honor" written in English
and published in 1916. As the tide of battle turned and moved again to the
east, her home was requisitioned as an army hospital, and she wrote a second
memoir, "My Home in the Field of Mercy", published in 1917. The winding-down of
the war gave her the occasion to publish a third memoir in 1918, "With Those Who
Wait", and a fourth in 1919, "Lilies, White and Red". All of the books I
have mentioned so far were published by George H. Doran, New York, thus pushing
the needle a little farther toward the possibility that she is American.

In 1918 she translated a novel "Colette Baudoche" by Maurice Barres. Again Doran
was the publisher. In 1919 she co-authored "The Flying Poilu" with Michel
Nadaud. In 1921 she translated "The Golden Goat" by Paul Auguste Arene,
published also by Doran. In 1927 she co-authored "French provincial furniture"
along with Henri Longnon. This work was published by J. B. Lippincott
(Philadelphia and London). In 1929, she translated "The chosen people; a short
history of the Jews in Europe", by Jerome and Jean Tharaud. After that she was
silent until 1969 when she wrote a biography of her deceased husband, entitled
"Charles Huard: 1874-1965" and published by A. Michel in Paris.

I have not been able to find her date of death. Certainly, it seems to be after
1969. Beyond that, I have found nothing.

I myelf have "My Home in the Field of Mercy".

Francis A. Miniter
Old May 30th 05, 01:33 AM
krik999

Does your copy have the drawing and signature opposite the copyright page?
Funny thing is after I made this post I went back to the estate sale for the
second day and found a copy of "Lilies, White and Red"
Thanks
Gary

Old May 30th 05, 02:27 AM
Francis A. Miniter

Alas, no, I do not have a signature on that page, which in the "Mercy" book
contains a printed (and unsigned) inscription. Congratulations on finding the
second (fourth in the series) book.

One more bit of information. There is a website entitled "Kubik Fine Books"
[kubikbooks.com], and one of the catalogues listed there is for the First World
War. Your book is listed there. Unfortunately, it is catalogued under
"Miscellaneous Works", not under "American" or "British". So this site does not
much to our knowledge. Probably the best thing would be to find her biography
of her husband.

Francis A. Miniter

Old June 24th 06, 11:21 PM
GrahamJones GrahamJones is offline
Junior Member

Francis, Gary et al:
Frances Barrie Wilson Huard was indeed an American. Her father was Francis Wilson (an American theatre great, and the founder of Actors Equity, as well as the founder of our little theatre in Clearwater, Florida (www.franciswilsonplayhouse.org). Her mother was Mira Barrie.
I had been trying to find out what became of her, and ran across your posts. Her autobiographical books are a delight!
In "My Home in the Field of Honor" she mentions :
Suddenly I bethought me of a tiny silk American
flag that my mother had given me years before, when as a child I left
home for my first trip to Europe. I found it where I hoped, and
shutting one edge of it into the drawer, I let the stripes hang downward
and pinned the following inscription into its folds:

"I swear that the contents of this desk are purely personal and can be
of value to no one but myself. I therefore leave it under the
protection of my country's flag."
I am delighted that she seems to have survived until at least 1969.
Now I have some more of her books to locate and buy! Thank you!

Graham Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis A. Miniter