Why is Bottom-posting better than Top-posting

Old January 19th 04, 02:53 PM
Peter D

"Peter Aitken" wrote in message
r.com...
"Ada Prill" wrote in message

"J. Hugh Sullivan" wrote in message

As a newcomer to this news group I note that you have exercised your
right to choose (to top post) but failed to give any credible reasons
for doing so - or any incredible ones for that matter.

For those of us who have news readers that bunch postings by thread, it

is
extremely irritating to read message A, scroll through A to get to B six
seconds later, scroll through A and B to get to C six seconds after

that,
etc. If I have not recently seen A and B, it is easy enough to refresh

my
memory by scrolling down, but the usual situation is that I have JUST

read
the postings that I must scroll through to get to the new information.
When the thread gets long, I really detest having to go through multiple

screens
of previously read stuff to get to something at the bottom that says "I
agree with XXX," when I could have found this brief entry quite easily

on
the top.

This illustrates perfectly the selfishness and silliness of the *only*
argument that top-posters have ever been able to present for their

behavior.
"I am too lazy to do some scrolling - wears me right out to press that

PgDn
key 3 or 4 times! I don't care how much top posting makes things
unintelligible or difficult for others, I'm going to keep doing it *MY*
way."

And the above perfectly illustrates the willingness of one side to demonize
the other with an overly broad brush. Quite a surprise coming form someone
as educated as you, Peter.

snip
Hardly a newly-invented rule, having been around since the start of

USENET.

And there has never been actual evidence to support this apparent myth. And
even if there was, it's a flailing Appeal to Tradition. Having someone walk
in front of a horseless carriage waving a light has been around for longer.
Beating women who burned their husband's supper has been around longer.
Enslaving ohte rhumans has been around longer. What's your point?

Old January 21st 04, 05:18 PM
Peter D

Will you please stop posting this article. It's OFF-TOPIC and it's poorly
line-wrapped. It's also a perfect example of how a single post is a welcome
discussion and mutliple posts are SPAM.
HAND

Old January 22nd 04, 11:24 PM
Herb F.

I always top post and generally if a person uses more than a screen or
two bottom posting I hit "next." I refuse to read a dozen pages of
garbage to finally find some idiot saying "I agree." In the military we
teach that the important data should be put up front. That has always
made sense to me.

Old January 23rd 04, 08:51 PM

Top/Bottom posting
..
Molehill ------- Mountain
..
Charlie Jensen

Live right,
Eat right,
Exercise ... ... ... Die anyway !

Old January 23rd 04, 11:13 PM
Bob Ingraham

1/23/2004 12:51 PM

Top/Bottom posting
.
Molehill ------- Mountain
.
Charlie Jensen

Mountain ------- Valley

Bob Ingraham

-------
I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts.
--John Steinbeck
-------

Live right,
Eat right,
Exercise ... ... ... Die anyway !

Old January 23rd 04, 11:24 PM
Scott

"Bob Ingraham" wrote in message
1/23/2004 12:51 PM

Top/Bottom posting
.
Molehill ------- Mountain
.
Charlie Jensen

Mountain ------- Valley

Bob Ingraham

Valley ------- Forge

Scott out.

Old January 23rd 04, 11:29 PM
Bob Ingraham

1/23/2004 3:24 PM

"Bob Ingraham" wrote in message
1/23/2004 12:51 PM

Top/Bottom posting
.
Molehill ------- Mountain
.
Charlie Jensen

Mountain ------- Valley

Bob Ingraham

Valley ------- Forge

Scott out.

Forge ------- Forgery

Bob Ingraham

Old January 24th 04, 12:20 AM
Bill Sharpe

Military time - 0000 to 2359 -- makes a lot more sense than the way we keep
track of hours in the US.

Bill

PS To get back on a related topic, what stamps show time one way or
another? Postmarks used to.

"Didier Cuidet" wrote in message

Sense « in the military » ? Please, stop trolling.

Old January 24th 04, 04:26 AM
Bill Sharpe

As I said in another thread, top vs. bottom posting is not something to get
very excited about. I can read what I want either way. It's usually easier
to follow a thread with top posts, IMHO. I know what the previous poster
said and I'm looking for the response, which is a bit easier and faster to
see if it's on top. Snipping the previous post, as I've done here, makes it
immaterial whether the reply is at the top or the bottom.
I just can't see how this top post makes "things unintelligible or difficult
for others."

Bill