Preventa(?)

Old July 12th 03, 10:44 PM
Lolly

Default Preventa(?)

Found an ad in our office supply catalog for NEW! Preventa Antimicrobial
Retractable Pen!

.. Silver ion delivery system built right into the pens to prevent the growth
of damaging bacteria, yeasts, molds, and fungi

.. FDA recognized

......longest lasting protection available

What?!? Silver ion delivery system? Delivers what? From where? Are they
talking about the barrel of the pen? No picking up colds from the pen on the
banker's desk? Am I daft?

Old July 12th 03, 11:14 PM
Karen Traviss

For what it's worth, ballpoint pens were found to be a significant vector
for infections in one UK hospital where a study was carried out. They
couldn't work out why infections were still being spread on wards, even
though doctors and nursing staff washed their hands thoroughly between
patients and all the infection control procedures were followed. Then
someone spotted the doctors using the same pen to mark up charts as they
moved from patient to patient, which made their hand-washing a bit
pointless. Solution: they kept a cheap ballpoint with each patient's chart.
Sorted.

This story is utterly irrelevant, except to prove that ballpoints really can
damage your health ;-) Now, the surgeon who operated on me last year had a
top-end Mont Blanc FP and he wasn't lending it to _anyone_. I would argue
that fountain pens are therefore an aid to hygiene :-)

Cheers
KT

Old July 12th 03, 11:30 PM
Lolly

Hear, hear! Fountain pens for everyone then!

I work for a small company that doesn't offer sick days...so we're all a bit
neurotic when it comes to sharing our writing utensils with our co-workers
who come to work with vile diseases.

I'm still skeptical, though, about this self-cleaning, germ killing pen.
Howzit *really* work?

Hmmm. I need some convincin'.

Old July 13th 03, 12:17 AM
Karen Traviss

There's loads of stuff on the web about colloidal silver solutions and
antibiotic activity. Whether it's an effective antibiotic, overpriced snake
oil or even dangerous depends on who you listen to. But silver was used an
an anitbiotic in mainstream medicine up to the 1930s (I think) and is still
used in the form of silver sulphadiazine to stop burns becoming infected.
Based on that, I think you should rush out and buy a nice vintage Waterman
with silver filigree overlay, stat :-)

Cheers
KT

Old July 13th 03, 12:32 AM
mz

Karen Traviss wrote...

There's loads of stuff on the web about colloidal silver solutions and
antibiotic activity. Whether it's an effective antibiotic, overpriced

snake
oil or even dangerous depends on who you listen to. But silver was used

an
an anitbiotic in mainstream medicine up to the 1930s (I think) and is

still
used in the form of silver sulphadiazine to stop burns becoming infected.
Based on that, I think you should rush out and buy a nice vintage Waterman
with silver filigree overlay, stat :-)

Cheers
KT

Colloidal silver solutions have been shown to be an effective treatment
against over 300 bacteria. It does not work against any virus, however. So
it won't help with the common cold, or the uncommon one for that matter. :0)

Mark Z.

Old July 13th 03, 12:50 AM

Lolly wrote:

Found an ad in our office supply catalog for NEW! Preventa Antimicrobial
Retractable Pen!

. Silver ion delivery system built right into the pens to prevent the growth
of damaging bacteria, yeasts, molds, and fungi

. FDA recognized

.....longest lasting protection available

What?!? Silver ion delivery system? Delivers what? From where? Are they
talking about the barrel of the pen? No picking up colds from the pen on the
banker's desk? Am I daft?

As the duck says... Quack Quack Quack.

Not that there won't some sort of semi offical studies backing up all
sorts of medical claims. I also collect some so-called "quack" medical
equipment but I stick to stuff that does have at least some more or less
vaild claims vs the true rip off quack stuff that could not ever work
and were only con jobs. As for the above its sounds more in the latter
department. Put it with your magnet bracelets, solar pendants,
untrasonic bug offs, and loose 20 lbs a week diet pills. Yeah, all
that stuff has semi offcial claims behind it too. lol Frank
Old July 13th 03, 06:16 AM
so what

. Silver ion delivery system built right into the pens to prevent the growth
of damaging bacteria, yeasts, molds, and fungi

??? What the heck are people doing with pens, that I need to be concerned about
(among other things) a yeast infection????

satrap
calling the Surgeon General...
Old July 13th 03, 03:46 PM
marlinspike

"so what" wrote in message
??? What the heck are people doing with pens, that I need to be concerned

about
(among other things) a yeast infection????

Ok, I'm going to make a very rude remark (well, you'll see what I mean),
but I just have to. And it refers back to an older post.

Maybe taking a lot of pens with me to school would get the girls on my side.
:-)
Richard

Old July 16th 03, 03:58 AM
Pahoo

There is a plastic additive, I believe by the trade name "micro-ban". It is
an additive the plastic molder uses to make the plastic piece
"antibacterial". I am not familiar with the Preventa pen, but the Micro pen
company made a plastic retractable ball point pen called the "Cleen-ball".
The concept was for hospitals, restaurants or anyone that passes pens from
person to person. I had one when it first came out about 9 years ago, but
haven't seen then since.

BTW, the same micro ban product was also used in plastic kitchen cutting
boards, to prevent bacterial build.

Perhaps this is what this company is using. The concept is very
interesting.

------
Pahoo

Old July 16th 03, 08:09 AM
14:30

rthlink.net...

"Lolly" wrote in message
Found an ad in our office supply catalog for NEW! Preventa Antimicrobial
Retractable Pen!

. Silver ion delivery system built right into the pens to prevent the

growth
of damaging bacteria, yeasts, molds, and fungi

. FDA recognized

.....longest lasting protection available

What?!? Silver ion delivery system? Delivers what? From where? Are they
talking about the barrel of the pen? No picking up colds from the pen on

the
banker's desk? Am I daft?

That stuff is also used in newer models of Teva sandles (or at least some
models). Supposed to cut down on foot odor. My feet never smell anyway, so I
don't know if it makes much difference.
~14:30