The First Art Stamp Ever?

Old November 13th 05, 01:30 PM
Victor Manta

Default The First Art Stamp Ever?

"amesh" wrote in message
"Victor Manta" skrev i en meddelelse

As for photography, it isn't considered as being art by all thinkers.

Are *all* thinkers (philosophers) that categoric !?

No, just some, me included :-)

I know who you are speaking about, and with whom I strongly disagree.

We live in free countries, isn't it?

Could you name a few more, with references, please?

I have answered at: "And photography is definitly considered as Art." My
intention was just to mention that there are disagreements. One example (and
you know already two should be sufficient. Sorry, momentarily I haven't
time for further research but maybe you can try on the Web.

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://www.pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/
Romania by Stamps: http://www.marci-postale.com/
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/communism/
Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old November 13th 05, 02:14 PM
Dominique Stéphan

Victor Manta a écrit:
"Dominique Stéphan" wrote in message
By the way, flatère is not a french word
as far as I know (flater is a verb).

And photography is definitly considered as Art.

Blair's source is:
http://aic.stanford.edu/jaic/article...-004_appx.html

The Chalon brothers, both artists, were Swiss painter of French descent,
born in Geneva. Chalon's family were French Protestants who, like so many,
had fled persecution in France. They did not remain in Switzerland for a
long time but went to England.
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/mag/pages/mnuIn...y.cfm?biog=229

Because French was his native language, there is no reason to think that
Alfred Chalon himself made such a fault ("flatère" instead of "flater").
Possibly he was incorrectly cited or he used an older form of the word (what
I doubt).

"Flatère" look like "Flater" written in French like it's
pronounced in English, so it may be a wrong citation
(I didn't find flatère in dictionnaries, and it's
certainly "flater" that was intented).

As for photography, it isn't considered as being art by all thinkers.

Well, if you define art as what is universally (and in all
period of history) thought as art, this will remove most
art since Impressionism (actually, most art as you'll
will always find someone that thinks art can only be
figurative and somone that thinks art can't be figurative).

--
Cordialement
Dominique Stéphan
Old November 13th 05, 02:30 PM
amesh

"amesh" wrote in message
"Victor Manta" skrev i en meddelelse

As for photography, it isn't considered as being art by all thinkers.

Are *all* thinkers (philosophers) that categoric !?

No, just some, me included :-)

Are you a philosopher?

I know who you are speaking about, and with whom I strongly disagree.

We live in free countries, isn't it?

Absolutely, that's one of the reasons I take the liberty to express
disagreement ;-)

Could you name a few more, with references, please?

I have answered at: "And photography is definitly considered as Art." My
intention was just to mention that there are disagreements. One example
(and you know already two should be sufficient. Sorry, momentarily I
haven't time for further research but maybe you can try on the Web.

No. Since it is you who brought up the statement about "all thinkers", it is
you who should justify further :-)

Mette