They deserve a stamp

Old October 17th 03, 08:48 AM
Victor Manta

Default They deserve a stamp

The folk singers Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel reunited this fall, twenty
years after their separation, for a concert tour of North America.

I believe that the authors of unforgettable "El Condor Pasa", "The Sparrow",
and "The Sound of Silence" deserve a stamp, and this *before* they pass by.

The lyrics of mentioned songs can be found on:
http://people.fm.uniba.sk/veres/mp3i...ondor_pasa.htm
http://www.lyricsdepot.com/simon-garfunkel/sparrow.html
http://people.fm.uniba.sk/veres/mp3i...of_silence.htm

Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/Communism/
Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/
Remove "um" from the e-mail address to reply

Old October 17th 03, 01:37 PM
John O'Brien

"Victor Manta" wrote in message
The folk singers Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel reunited this fall, twenty
years after their separation, for a concert tour of North America.

I believe that the authors of unforgettable "El Condor Pasa", "The

Sparrow",
and "The Sound of Silence" deserve a stamp, and this *before* they pass

by.

If you are talking about a US stamp, you are forgetting the requirement that
the honoree be dead for 10 years.

Old October 17th 03, 01:55 PM
Victor Manta

It is because I know this rule that I have (indirectly) suggested that it
should be repealed.

If not, it is Liberia, Gambia, and especially the agencies that represent
such countries that will continue of taking profits (plus the illegals'
producers, of course), by issuing stamps dedicated to US and other artists.

Undesirable Stamps: http://www.pwmo.org/articles/undesirable-stamps.htm
Illegal Stamps: http://www.pwmo.org/Illegals/frame-illegals-en.htm

Victor Manta

Old October 17th 03, 03:14 PM
John O'Brien

John Dupont ,presumed owner of the one cent magenta British Guiana of 1856,
who is now serving a life sentence in Pennsylvania for murder, once paid
some island "nation" (Grenada, I think, but don't quote me) to honor himself
for introducing the triathelon to America, or some such thing.
IMO,I think these countries would continue their wallpaper-issuing
practices, even if the US relaxed the rules on honoring its own notables.

Old October 17th 03, 03:43 PM
Dakota

I believe that the authors of unforgettable "El Condor Pasa", "The Sparrow",
and "The Sound of Silence" deserve a stamp, and this *before* they pass by.

Oh my, I can hear those Nigerian printing presses warming up right
now!

Actually a coule of years ago I saw a sheet (Cindie) featuring these
guys, there was also "Strawberry Alarm Clock", Iron Butterfly", Janis
Joplin" Arlo Guthrie" and really baffling "Mirielle Mathieu".

They'll not be done in the US until they're dead. The US has a thing
about featuring living people on it's stamps and coins - although that
rule was broken once on a coin.

Handshakes,

Dakota
Old October 17th 03, 05:01 PM
Tom Loepp

Dakota wrote:

I believe that the authors of unforgettable "El Condor Pasa", "The Sparrow",
and "The Sound of Silence" deserve a stamp, and this *before* they pass by.

Oh my, I can hear those Nigerian printing presses warming up right
now!

Actually a coule of years ago I saw a sheet (Cindie) featuring these
guys, there was also "Strawberry Alarm Clock", Iron Butterfly", Janis
Joplin" Arlo Guthrie" and really baffling "Mirielle Mathieu".

They'll not be done in the US until they're dead. The US has a thing
about featuring living people on it's stamps and coins - although that
rule was broken once on a coin.

And on the first man on the moon stamp.

Handshakes,

Dakota

-- Remove "details" to respond

Old October 17th 03, 05:20 PM
TC

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:48:53 +0200, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

The folk singers Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel reunited this fall, twenty
years after their separation, for a concert tour of North America.

I believe that the authors of unforgettable "El Condor Pasa", "The Sparrow",
and "The Sound of Silence" deserve a stamp, and this *before* they pass by.

The lyrics of mentioned songs can be found on:
http://people.fm.uniba.sk/veres/mp3i...ondor_pasa.htm
http://www.lyricsdepot.com/simon-garfunkel/sparrow.html
http://people.fm.uniba.sk/veres/mp3i...of_silence.htm

Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/Communism/
Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/
Remove "um" from the e-mail address to reply

When my daughter was small, she asked me what music she should listen
to. I replied that it was up to her to judge but that she should try
to listen to good music.

After a few moments, she asked me how to tell if a piece music was
good or not. To that I replied that if a piece of music was really
good, then it would be played 200 years after it was written.

Blair

Old October 17th 03, 05:43 PM
TC

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:14:59 -0400, "John O'Brien"
wrote:

John Dupont ,presumed owner of the one cent magenta British Guiana of 1856,
who is now serving a life sentence in Pennsylvania for murder, once paid
some island "nation" (Grenada, I think, but don't quote me) to honor himself
for introducing the triathelon to America, or some such thing.
IMO,I think these countries would continue their wallpaper-issuing
practices, even if the US relaxed the rules on honoring its own notables.

(from Linn's Stamp News...)

British Guiana was a colonial outpost of the British empire on the
northeast coast of South America. You will see lots of zeroes to the
left of the decimal points in the catalog values of many of its early
stamps issued in the 1850s through the 1870s. No value, however, is
listed for British Guiana Scott 13, shown in Figure 3, the Penny
Magenta.

So far there is but one example of this 1856 1¢ stamp, printed in
black ink on magenta-colored paper. This stamp is not likely to be
coming on the market anytime soon, and putting a value on it probably
seemed like a pointless exercise for the Scott catalog editors. The
rarity was locally produced when postage stamps failed to arrive from
London. The local printer produced crude-looking stamps to fill the
breach, among them the 1¢ black on magenta paper.

Twelve-year-old L. Vernon Vaughan, a resident of the colony, found the
only known stamp in 1873 among some old family correspondence. He soon
sold it locally for the equivalent of about $1.50, which he used to
buy stamps for his collection that looked better than this somewhat
bedraggled, heavily canceled, scuffed and clipped stamp. Within a few
years, the stamp was in the collection of famed collector Count
Philippe Ferrari, who also once owned the Swedish 3SB error of color
stamp.

From Ferrari the Penny Magenta went to eccentric millionaire Arthur
Hind in the United States for $30,000. Hind's widow sold it in 1940
for an undisclosed price, but possibly as much as $75,000, to Edward
Small, an Australian living in Florida. That sum was eclipsed within
90 seconds of the stamp's next appearance on the market in a 1970
Robert A. Siegel auction in New York City.

Bidding for a syndicate of investors, Irwin Weinberg, a dealer in
Wilkes-Barre, Pa., won the stamp for $280,000. The British Guiana 1¢
black-on-magenta-paper stamp and Weinberg subsequently toured the
international stamp world, but the syndicate returned the stamp to the
Siegel auction block in 1980.

The successful bidder was John DuPont, yet another eccentric American
millionaire. He paid $935,000 for the stamp and reportedly often slept
with it under his pillow. DuPont now sleeps in a state prison, where
he is serving up to 30 years after being found guilty but mentally ill
in 1997 for the murder of a wrestling coach. The stamp is said to
slumber in a vault in Philadelphia.

http://www.sammler.com/images2/british_guiana.jpg

In 2000, a stamp purported to be an 1856 British Guiana 1¢ black on
magenta paper was exposed by the experts of the Royal Philatelic
Society of London as being an altered 4¢ stamp from the same issue.

John Dupont.....

An Antigua-Redonda - 1987 - Capex $5 m/sheet (unissued)
showed Triathlete John duPont Running, Swimming & Cycling .
It was imperf from Format Security Printers
Various Proofs are known.

(I believe he paid them $10000 for the honour)

Blair

Old October 17th 03, 05:52 PM
Grandpa

John O'Brien wrote:

"Victor Manta" wrote in message

The folk singers Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel reunited this fall, twenty
years after their separation, for a concert tour of North America.

If you are talking about a US stamp, you are forgetting the requirement that
the honoree be dead for 10 years.

I think the same is true of coins etc too. Heaven forbid that someone
might be honored while alive by somesuch.

Old October 17th 03, 05:55 PM
Grandpa

Dakota wrote:

snip
Actually a coule of years ago I saw a sheet (Cindie) featuring these
guys, there was also "Strawberry Alarm Clock", Iron Butterfly", Janis
Joplin" Arlo Guthrie" and really baffling "Mirielle Mathieu".

Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incense and Peppermints, hey, a scratch and
sniff stamp perhaps?G I didn't think anyone remembered them but maybe
myself. Its an old goat thing.

LAWYER: the larval form of a politician.