CONDITION versus PRICE versus RARITY.

Old September 7th 05, 05:06 PM
kittywake

Default CONDITION versus PRICE versus RARITY.

Hello Folks,
I recently obtained a copy of what could be termed as a
quite rare book,....namely....authur...WILLIAM AUGUSTUS OSBALDISTON
title...THE BRITISH SPORTSMAN,OR,NOBLEMAN,GENTLEMAN,AND FARMER'S
DICTIONARY,OF RECREATION AND AMUSEMENT...London...printed by
J=2EStead...sold by Champante and Whitrow...1792...
The book is in remarkably good condition for its age,well bound in
leather,clean and tight.[Out of 42 copper plate prints 10 are
absent,also one leaf of text.]
Prior to obtaining the book,I found that very few copies of this book
were available,all mainly in libraries or universities,one other copy
existed, but was deemed to be a later edition,.....The Universal
Sportsman,....by Osbaldiston,...the Dublin issue.
Having checked with the British library,Cambridge uni.lib.and on
c=2Eo.p.a.c. I decided that missing prints and text was not that
important,so I bought the book...=A390.00 sterling...[the missing plates
and text will be replaced with fascimile copies.]
My collection is based soley on first editions of books about game
fishing in Ireland,so buying this book was slightly off topic
[Irish],but bear in mind that the Dublin issue was a later edn,.
So with reference to the subject [Condition/Price/Rarity]
What might you have done.
All the best for now,
John.