Why Is This Group Not Being Used??

Old December 11th 04, 04:45 PM
John Wade

Default Why Is This Group Not Being Used??

As Pink Floyd would say...."Is there anybody
out there?"

As a member of various newsgroups since
1996, I know, first hand, how hard it is to
create a new "rec" group, so it seems a
shame to have a "rec" group which is not
being used.

Is there another group, maybe an "alt"
group where card collectors hang out??

I am in the process of putting together a set
of 1961 Topps baseball cards, and often
have questions about them. Usually I
can depend on a newsgroup's experts to
get the answers I need.

Any chance there are experts on vintage
baseball cards hangin' 'round here??
John Wade

Check out my web site, dedicated to the
R&B vocal groups of the 1950s, and the
labels they recorded for:

http://www.geocities.com/ovis_sivo/home.html
Old December 11th 04, 11:25 PM
Dan Aliperto-MN

This group, while once a great & informative one, died out a couple years ago.
Some check back now & then, some have disappeared into that vast abyss we call
the internet. Some have migrated over to the message boards at beckett.com.

Any sportscard related questions you had would for sure get answered there.

Good luck,

-Dan (TIC)
http://sportscardfun.com/trader/ideal0024.asp

"If a man hasn't discovered something he would die for, he isn't fit to live."
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Baseball doesn't owe me a thing, I owe my whole life to baseball."
- Kirby Puckett
Old December 12th 04, 03:54 AM
Ballzandstrikes

You would not have much use for the Beckett boards. The minute you are critical
of anything regarding Beckett you will be banned. The private dealer boards
are the exception. You would not believe the complaining going on there.
Dealers crying poor that Beckett got smart and lowered prices on junk that
nobody wants to acceptible levels.
Old December 12th 04, 04:38 AM
John Wade

Rich Davis wrote:

what kind of questions do you have?

Hello, Rich!!

Thanks for the reply. At least I know the group
has not totally been abandoned!!

Let me start with this question.....

Along with my set of Topps 1961 cards, I have
been getting examples of the inserts, which
include the "Magic Rub Off" insert and the
panel of two stamps, as well as the stamp
album, which was a mail-in item.

I also have two different wrappers from that
set. One wrapper has an "Extra Feature In
Every Pack" blurb on the front, and an offer
for a mail-in pennant on the back. See here...

http://home.triad.rr.com/ovis/images/wrapper1.jpg

The other has an "Extra Baseball Stamps In
Every Pack" blurb on the front, and an offer
for the album to put the stamps in on the back.
Shown he

http://home.triad.rr.com/ovis/images/wrapper2.jpg

I know, because I have seen, a third wrapper
with the "Extra Feature" front and a ballot for
the Topps All Star Team back.

The questions are these:

How many different wrappers were used in '61??

I assume the "Extra Feature" wrapper was for
the "Rub Off" insert, but how many, and which
series, included the Rub Offs??

And, of course, which series used the "Stamps"
wrapper??

Any help would be much appreciated.
John Wade

Old December 13th 04, 05:08 AM
Rich Davis

I don't know how many different wrappers were used in 1961. I don't know
much about wrappers period.

The rub-offs were only found in the first series wax packs.

The stamps were found in second series and higher wax packs. They were also
found in cello packs.

-

Old December 13th 04, 06:16 AM

I stopped using the group after I no longer had use for it. My
collecting career came to an end when I landed the Ultimate Card, a
Ruth RC. Been sitting back, enjoying watching it appreciate since.
Chris

Old December 13th 04, 07:14 AM
John Wade

Rich Davis wrote:

I don't know how many different wrappers were used in 1961. I don't know
much about wrappers period.

The rub-offs were only found in the first series wax packs.

The stamps were found in second series and higher wax packs. They were also
found in cello packs.

Thanks again, Rich.

I didn't know that stamps were included in the
cello packs, I thought it was just cards.
Thanks for that. I wonder if any inserts were
included in the Christmas packs?

Ok, I know the wrapper question was tough,
though I still think there is someone out there
who knows the answer.

I'll ask another question, but in a new thread.
Lord knows this group could use a couple of
new threads!! /;-)
John Wade

Old December 13th 04, 06:22 PM
Rich Davis

You're welcome John.

I wonder if any inserts were
included in the Christmas packs?

That's a good question. They were cello packs, but who knows?