A grading question

Old August 15th 05, 12:49 AM
llar

Default A grading question

Hi, new to all of this, but I have a lot of cards that the wife and I
have just bought and stored over the years. My question is what are the
different grades of card conditions ie: mint, near mint, and so on.

Any help?
Lou
PS...where would a good place to get them graded be?
Old August 15th 05, 03:11 AM
Patrick W. Schubert Sr.

please check the hobby info section of www.dacollector.net. I have included
a section on grading & conditions that should help. Your best bet for
grading is BGS, highest $ return in the hobby today.

--
www.dacollector.net
Trading Cards, Collectibles & Custom Display Cases
.. .

Old August 16th 05, 01:43 AM
Ron B.

Hi Lou,

Go through "Hobby Info" / "Condition Assistant" on the Da Collector
web sight for a description of the different card grades and
conditions. Or you can see if this link works for you:

http://68.45.204.202/ConditionAssistant.htm

Here's a sight with similar info. It might be a good idea to read it
as well:

http://www.baseballcardbuyer.com/pag...demycards.html

Criteria does vary somewhat. There's no absolute method. One of the
areas that seems to vary the most is with card "centering".

If you choose to have your cards graded and slabbed by a professional
service, PSA and BGS are probably your two best choices. BGS is a
little cheaper. But cards graded by PSA often sell for more, so that
tends to make up for it. They're probably the most universally
respected grading company. Here's a link that describes the top four
grading services:

http://www.tradingcardcentral.com/ar...09_005_001.php

Let us know if you have more questions, after doing a little research.

Ron
*****************

Old August 17th 05, 09:06 AM
pkstore2

Hi, new to all of this, but I have a lot of cards that the wife and I
have just bought and stored over the years. My question is what are the
different grades of card conditions ie: mint, near mint, and so on.

Any help?
Lou
PS...where would a good place to get them graded be?

Are your cards new like after 1975? or older like before then?

Old August 22nd 05, 07:02 PM
Rick Scott

Grading Systems Have DISTROYED the hobby.

Old August 22nd 05, 07:03 PM
Rick Scott

Grading Systems Have DESTROYED the hobby.

Old August 23rd 05, 01:17 AM
Ron B.

On 22 Aug 2005 11:02:59 -0700, "Rick Scott"
wrote:

Grading Systems Have DISTROYED the hobby.

How so? My collection is close to 100% raw vintage cards, so your
conclusion doesn't offend me. I'm just curious about your reasoning.

Ron
Old August 23rd 05, 04:05 AM
Patrick W. Schubert Sr.

Let me guess ... Had a bunch of Sam Horn 88 Score & 90 Pro Set FB cards
graded, when they came back 5, 6 & 7's he got mad ...

Usually y people hate grading ... don't understand that it has to be a High
Grade to be valuable, the case guarantees nothing except the condition of
what is in it.

Patrick

Old August 23rd 05, 02:40 PM
Rick Scott

Let me guess ... Had a bunch of Sam Horn 88 Score & 90 Pro Set FB cards
graded, when they came back 5, 6 & 7's he got mad .

How wrong you could be, I dont use nor ever will use a grading service.
The only thing they have done is Driven the price of cards out of the
Hobby of collecting into the hands of Speculators. People have to
charge the price of the card plus the price of grading now. Also the
Card printers rarely do sets, they all do nothing but Special inserts
or special limited sets and price the packs in the atmousphere.

Its stupid. I know what my card looks like and I know what they are
worth to me as a Collector not a frigging Money grubbing speculator.

Nobody collects for the Love of it anymore. And I cant buy fills
because everyone has their own personal set of grade plus.

I was saying this before when the first company asked about what people
thought about grading. And its a Scam anyway. Want a better grade,
send the card back with extra cash and Poof, better grade.

Its ruined the HOBBY and made it a business.

Old August 23rd 05, 03:36 PM
Patrick W. Schubert Sr.

A lot of collector's have cards graded to preserve them. I have seen some
high grade vintage (50's & 60's). I believe grading is good for the vintage
cards. Preservation of the remaining mints is paramount.

As far as speculation, I don't know if that is really the case. E-Bay has
taught people that the newer stuff may not get the big money unless it is
9.5 or 10. I have certain cards graded and usually keep them for my private
collection. Not because I want to get rich but so my sons can have some
serious Mint & Gem Mint stuff. I only use BGS due to the toughness of their
standards. Next months order to BGS should include a sweet 1961 Topps
Phillies Team Card & a 1954 Eddie Mathews. I am also 3 cards away from a
BGS graded complete set of 2001 Fleer Game Time Fame Time.

I guess everyone has an opinion.

--
www.dacollector.net
Trading Cards, Collectibles & Custom Display Cases
oups.com...