8x10 Photo Site Abuse

Old October 3rd 03, 07:13 PM
dahoov2

Keith,

Do they not warn you before you run out of bandwidth? That's awful
you were charged extra! I'd take the sites down or change the images
to lower res or do what I had done (though this causes some problems
too). I had make small jpg's and saved them for the web... I told
people if they wanted an image email me. I was harrassed a few times
by people who didn't get answered fast enough but if they bugged me
too much I just refused their request and deleted. If that's too time
consuming, you might consider putting the on disk and selling the disk
for a moderate fee? I have done this too (charging for postage and
the disk only but a couple dollars extra would not be too much to ask
for for your effort. Maybe you can recoup some money that way.

As for the password, as you know I am thinking of doing the address
site... I started and this password thing is causing me sooooo many
problems. There's a lot to think about including:

who does and does NOT have a static IP

If one person downloads too much will you kick them off?

Someone brought up the idea of deeplinking to me

someone else told me that many will lie and give out the password to
others no matter how much they say they won't

There's more, but you get the point. This is why I suggest the other
two alternatives.... OR here's a third... a mirror site with free
hosting? I have also learned too, that the more you offer, the more
visitors you get and the top two things people want a Addresses
and photos! I noted on my site where and where not the traffic is and
am taking off access to some of my other areas to stop some from
coming. It's all I can do too at this time.

On 3 Oct 2003 10:14:11 -0500, "Keith A. Jakubowski"
wrote:

As you all know, I have made all of my 8x10 150dpi photo scans available
on-line (over 1,200) of them at
http://www.keithjakubowski.com/autographs/photos

Many of you know that I have always had high-bandwidth problems and that
I would take the photo site down from time-to-time. However, this month
has been different.

I am allowed 6GB of transfer per month on my site. Around the 21st of
last month, I took the site down because I had already hit 5.5GB of
traffic for the month. When I take the site down I only change the
index.htm page to say that the site is down. All of the photos are
still there and all of the other htm files are there. You just cannot
access them from the index page. On the 30th, my site was suspended by
my hosting company for going over bandwidth. No big deal right?
WRONG! During the 9 days my site was "down" almost 6GB of data was
transferred off my site. 6GB! Obviously many people panicked this time
I took the site down and they figured out each individual htm name and
downloaded all the photos from the site. Now, my site is being held
hostage by my hosting company to the tune of $120 until I pay for last
months overusage. I don't just lose the photo site in this time but all
of my personal sites are also down.

IF (and that's a very big if) I get this all straightened out with my
hosting company and IF I decide to bring the site back (which even a
bigger IF) it will most likely be by invitaion only and it will all be
password driven so I can see who is abusing the site.

Sometimes I don't know why I even bother to help others out. It is very
sad that a few people always have to ruin it for the majority.

Keith

Old October 3rd 03, 07:14 PM
dahoov2

That was uncalled for. What's useless to you isn't apparently useless
to the people leaching off his site! some here may think you might be
worthless to so why don't we just get rid of you.

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:21:21 -0700, "Bob Kernel"
wrote:

Sometimes I don't know why I even bother to help others out. It is very
sad that a few people always have to ruin it for the majority.

Just get rid of your site. It's pretty much worthless anyway.

Old October 3rd 03, 10:35 PM
Gummby3

Keith, I think we found your leech...

--

Mike
Gummby3

~~ Star Collector ~~
www.star-collector.net

"Bob Kernel" wrote in message
Sometimes I don't know why I even bother to help others out. It is very
sad that a few people always have to ruin it for the majority.

Just get rid of your site. It's pretty much worthless anyway.

---

Old October 3rd 03, 10:42 PM
dahoov2

My George, i think Gummby is right!

Old October 4th 03, 06:31 AM
Steve-0-

I agree. The useless one is the person who made that comment. Maybe if
you would help keith out with a donation, he wouldn't be having to
deal with this crap.

Good Luck,

Steve-0-

Please Visit
http://www.geocities.com/smraines12/main.html
http://www.angelfire.com/pro/hdmavs/

new 8 track site Alex 8 Track Tapes 0 August 23rd 04 08:03 AM
Barbara Eden 8x10 Coplor Photo CalRima Autographs 0 September 26th 03 03:44 PM
FS> WAYNE GRETZKY Signed UDA 8x10 Photo Titan Autographs 0 August 18th 03 05:26 PM
Reducing Autograph Collection dani.steiner Autographs 0 July 16th 03 02:29 PM
JuNE SuCCeSSeS!!!!!!! Todd F. Autographs 0 July 1st 03 07:49 AM