US "Movie" Stamps (60 years ago)

Old October 1st 04, 03:48 PM
TC Blair

Default US "Movie" Stamps (60 years ago)

Article appearing in the June 1, 1946 issue of STAMPS.

"Movie" Stamps

BILL O'HARA sends us a set of "movie stamps" which are used in
Hollywood (bearing a mail train as the design), and about which be
writes:

"In my business of tax accountant for a number of the studio people
here in Hollywood, I had occasion to write in the interest of an
independent producer to the Postmaster-General in regards to the
photographing of U.S. postage stamps on envelopes which must be
pictured in close-ups for the movies. This question came up inasmuch
as the former law has been changed in reference to the photographing
of U.S. postage stamps.

"Joseph J. Lawler, the 3rd Assistant Postmaster General, in charge of
the Division of Stamps, wrote me that my letter had been referred to
the Chief, Secret Service Division, Treasury Department, as this
matter came under his jurisdiction. In due time I received a reply
from Frank J. Wilson, Chief, U.S. Secret Service, in which he stated
that the law had been relaxed only on the grounds that the
photographing was done for philatelic or historical purposes, in
albums, newspapers, circulars, etc., and then only in black and white
and of a size less than three-quarters or more than one and one-half
of the original. While photographing for historical purposes might
possibly be stretched to cover the making of motion pictures, there
was no way that it could be guaranteed that the actual enlargement of
the image on varied sized screens would always insure the stamp being
reproduced in a size larger than one and one-half as great as the
original.

"Hence, the continued use in motion pictures of 'movie stamps,' on
envelopes which must be photographed in close-up. The enclosed stamps
are used by M-G-M, R-K-O, Columbia and other studios for this purpose.
With a picture of a mail train, 'postage' across the top, and 3 cents
at the bottom, it becomes a unique facsimile.

"If any readers of STAMPS would be interested in getting a copy of
this stamp for their collection, just seed a request with a
self-addressed stamped envelope enclosed to Bill O'Hara, P.O. Box 101,
Hollywood 28, Calif. I would appreciate it if those who write for the
stamps would favor me by putting a commemorative on the cover to me."

Follow up article that appeared in the August 31, 1946 issue of
STAMPS.

Movie Stamps Banned

BILL O'HARA writes that he received 488 requests from readers for the
"movie" stamp mentioned in our June 1st issue. They came from all but
five states in the Union, and from Canada, Puerto Rico, Alaska,
England, and Holland.

To the latest requests, however, he has been unable to send more than
"regrets," as a result of one recipient's efforts to get an "unusual"
cover for himself by sending himself a cover bearing no other stamp
than the "movie" stamp. Detected by the Post Office Department, it
started an investigation which led to the confiscation by the U. S.
Secret Service of all the stamps and the plates. It had been purposely
made not too different from a usual U.S. design, advises Mr. O'Hara,
so that when it was used as a prop in the movies, the chances of its
being detected as a "play" stamp would be slight. The Secret Service
contention, we under stand, is that it too closely resembles the 1912
5c Parcel Post stamp. Mr. O'Hara is trying to get a change of
decision, but if unsuccessful, will design another stamp for similar
use, and this time will get the okay from the Post Office Department
first. In the meantime, says he, collectors who obtained the movie
stamps should treasure them.

Scan of the "movie stamps" with a copy of the 5c parcel post for
comparison.
http://www.stamps4collectors.com/pics/us-movie7b.jpg

Blair Stannard (TC)
Old October 2nd 04, 12:59 AM
Rodney

Thanks Blair,
I have been looking for colour scans of those!

here it is on cover

http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=488

Old October 3rd 04, 03:00 AM
Rodney

More trashy trivia to tickle the tastebuds.

Movie stamps from "A Beautiful Mind" starring
Russell Crowe
http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=489

I have one also with a cancel showing "Chesapeak Bay"
apparently this does not exist.
Would this be correct Blair?

Old October 3rd 04, 03:03 AM
Rodney

Did you notice, although the three were sent from different persons,
they all have the same handwriting script. amazing

Old October 3rd 04, 02:10 PM
TC Blair

"Rodney" wrote in message ...
More trashy trivia to tickle the tastebuds.

Movie stamps from "A Beautiful Mind" starring
Russell Crowe
http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=489

I have one also with a cancel showing "Chesapeak Bay"
apparently this does not exist.
Would this be correct Blair?

Correct Rodney. Chesapeake Bay is a large bay
on the east coast of the USA, but the city is
called Chesapeake , Virginia. (note spelling)
http://tinyurl.com/5mm38

It is near the famous Norfolk naval shipyards
and their post office is located at:
1425 Battlefield Boulevard North, Chesapeake, VA 23320

Post office location map:
http://tinyurl.com/5cwcv

Many urban places in the US today have spilled over
their political boundaries, giving rise to suburbs
and blurring distinctions between municipalities.
What we call these new regions depends on how we
perceive them. "Tidewater" was chosen for the seven
cities of southeastern Virginia (Norfolk, Portsmouth,
Hampton, Newport News, Viriginia Beach, Chesapeake,
Suffolk) by the U.S. Postal Service. Immediately,
local opinion leaders insisted that "Hampton Roads"
captured their perception of the region more accurately.

Hampton Roads Virginia regional cancel:
http://www.ncge.org/grf/tutorial/standards/6/pict2.gif

Blair
Old October 3rd 04, 07:19 PM
Rodney

Thanks Blair,

| Hampton Roads Virginia regional cancel:
| http://www.ncge.org/grf/tutorial/standards/6/pict2.gif

The perfect cancel ! it has caught just 4 perforations.