Pizza Winner contest (but drifting OT)

Old August 1st 03, 08:38 PM
Edwin Johnston

Default Pizza Winner contest (but drifting OT)

"Steve Ruud" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 08:25:09 -0500, "crc2074"
wrote:

It's Friday morning and no correct answer. I really didn't think that

this
would last so long! I have also received several new ideas for toppings.
Of course, some of them will never be tried--like pineapple.

Now, now....

I was reluctant to try pineapple as well, but found out it adds a
suprisingly nice sweet taste to the pizza.

We now like it so much that pineapple, saussage and extra cheese is
the odds on favorite when pizza is ordered.

And to help steer this even *further* away from topic, pizza is always
ordered from a local chain (Flipper's) not one of the big guys like
Pizza Hut, Domino's or Papa John's.

Steve
"who likes everything from just plain cheese to everything (minus the
little fishies)"
remove ATTITUDE to reply via e-mail

Of course, being a native New Yorker, for me plain cheese is the only pizza
worth eating.
However, especially when out in California, a nice Hawaiian style pizza with
Canadian bacon and pineapples is quite the refreshing treat. (Add ginger
snaps or Reese's pieces to suit your own taste.)

Old August 2nd 03, 01:43 AM
Bruce Remick

wrote:

[...]

Returning home to RI, I found they still sell the "cold pizza" I
remember as a kid in the 1950's. I haven't seen anything like it since
then. It's usually made in neighborhood bakeries (usually Italian or
Portuguese) and sold in rectangular slices. All that's on it is tomato
sauce, maybe a little grated cheese, and Italian spices. It has a
distinct taste and is always sold and eaten cold from what I can tell.
Anyone else find "cold pizza" outside New England?

Bruce
Old August 2nd 03, 07:07 AM
A.Gent

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

Returning home to RI, I found they still sell the "cold pizza" I
remember as a kid in the 1950's. I haven't seen anything like it since
then. It's usually made in neighborhood bakeries (usually Italian or
Portuguese) and sold in rectangular slices. All that's on it is tomato
sauce, maybe a little grated cheese, and Italian spices. It has a
distinct taste and is always sold and eaten cold from what I can tell.
Anyone else find "cold pizza" outside New England?

Common, with a couple of varieties (Supreme and Hawaiian) here in Sydney,
Australia. A particularly high profile bakery franchise offers it. Very
nice, too.

Old August 2nd 03, 10:29 AM
so ne

Steve wrote:
It's Friday morning and no correct answer. I really didn't think that
this would last so long! I have also received several new ideas for
toppings. Of course, some of them will never be tried--like
pineapple.
Now, now....
I was reluctant to try pineapple as well, but found out it adds a
suprisingly nice sweet taste to the pizza.
We now like it so much that pineapple, saussage and extra cheese is the
odds on favorite when pizza is ordered.
Not sure I would like pineapple either. I did have scrambled egg on
pizza .NOW that I like , can't get anything more than odd looks from
people when I ask for it here!!!!
Doris

Calling all Australians!!!!
Please read. ta
http://home.iprimus.com.au/wpbalcombe/

Old August 2nd 03, 12:51 PM
Steve Ruud

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 20:43:46 -0400, Bruce Remick
wrote:

Returning home to RI, I found they still sell the "cold pizza" I
remember as a kid in the 1950's. I haven't seen anything like it since
then. It's usually made in neighborhood bakeries (usually Italian or
Portuguese) and sold in rectangular slices. All that's on it is tomato
sauce, maybe a little grated cheese, and Italian spices. It has a
distinct taste and is always sold and eaten cold from what I can tell.
Anyone else find "cold pizza" outside New England?

I don't remember "cold" pizza here (Orlando) but there was a local
pizza place long since closed ("Tom's Pizza") that I do remember (from
the late 60's early 70's).

Great tasting pizza (you can get whatever toppings you wanted), thin
crust and cut into rectangles. Could buy it buy the slice or the
whole pie.

Wish it were still open right now, I'd be sorely tempted to go there
this afternoon!

Bruce

Steve
Buy the book before the coin
don't forget to *READ* the book after you've bought it!
It doesn't do anything just sitting on the shelf

(remove ATTITUDE to replay via e-mail)
Old August 2nd 03, 02:24 PM
Bruce Remick

wrote:

[...]

The "RI" cold pizza is thick crust Chicago(?)-style. The bakery
displays the slices in a tray and serves them on pieces of wax paper.
Apparently they are sprinkled with olive oil, too, since the slices can
be messy to eat. So different from the cookie cutter
pizza-with-toppings we're so used to seeing everywhere, and the spicy
taste is totally different, too.

Bruce