Earthlink and This newsgroup

Old August 1st 03, 08:57 PM
Gartogg

Default Earthlink and This newsgroup

I Use earthlink, and i've been happy so far, but suddenly I haven't
been getting new headers... If anybody can read this, especially
people on earthlink, can they send me an email to my listed address
(it's spelled out in the reply header) (and if you would, reply to
this message saying you replied via email so I don't get 5000
messages)

Thanks a ton, and sorry for the test post. I enjoy the discussion here
immensely, and am a hopeful anchient coin collector (my grandfather
has an extensive collection of greek and roman, and earlier, coins,
and has sparked my interest, but I have very little money.) As well
as a penny collector (finding wheatheads in rolls from the bank
mostly.)

Sorry my de-lurking post is an error one, and again, I love the
group...

Old August 2nd 03, 04:48 AM
DFloyd

Gartogg -
oh-em wrote in :

I Use earthlink, and i've been happy so far, but suddenly I haven't
been getting new headers... If anybody can read this, especially
people on earthlink, can they send me an email to my listed address
(it's spelled out in the reply header) (and if you would, reply to
this message saying you replied via email so I don't get 5000
messages)

A little paranoid there Gartogg? ;o)
Went a little overboard on munging your return address.

Here are the highlights of an e-mail you should have gotten from
EarthLink recently.

Dear EarthLink Newsgroup User,
SNIP
We are pleased to announce an upgrade to our
Usenet service, effective immediately.
SNIP
First, you will need to change your newsgroup server name to either:

news.west.earthlink.net or news.east.earthlink.net

SNIP
For help making this change, please visit:
http://support.earthlink.net/newspolicy
SNIP
Old August 2nd 03, 04:53 AM
Eric Tillery

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 03:48:09 GMT, DFloyd wrote:

Gartogg -
oh-em wrote in :

[...]

I didn't get that email, hmm. But I only use earthlink's server for the binary groups.
--
K6AZ WEB PAGES

http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm
Old August 2nd 03, 05:33 AM
Eric Tillery

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 04:13:55 GMT, DFloyd wrote:

Eric Tillery wrote in
:

I didn't get that email, hmm. But I only use earthlink's server for
the binary groups.
--
K6AZ WEB PAGES

http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm

Maybe I got it because I recently complained about their crappy retention
(less than 5 days for this group). When I logged on to the new server it
had posts going back several months.

I just changed my binary newsreader over and it does seem to be much faster.
Before Earthlink and Mindspring merged, Mindspring had the best news server
of any of the large ISPs, but it went downhill after the merge. Let's hope the improvement
stays this way, or I'll find another ISP again.

Old August 2nd 03, 05:57 AM
DFloyd

Eric Tillery wrote in
:

I just changed my binary newsreader over and it does seem to be much
faster. Before Earthlink and Mindspring merged, Mindspring had the
best news server of any of the large ISPs, but it went downhill after
the merge. Let's hope the improvement stays this way, or I'll find
another ISP again.

It is a nice change after watching the service slowly degrade since the
merger. I used to have Earthlink. Switched to Mindspring when Earthlink's
service suddenly got very bad and kept getting worse over a 3 month period.