Seeburg USC2 static noise coming through amp/speakers

Old November 2nd 06, 06:34 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Default Seeburg USC2 static noise coming through amp/speakers

Hi group,
I recently took the mechanism out of a USC to see why it had stopped
selectin. After ohming the motor and checking the motor-run capacitor,
I determined (with the help of a friend) the problem to be that the
contact(s) blades on the mech start solenoid in the control center
weren't making properly, even though it appeared that they were.
When I put the mech back into the juke last night, it selected (and
worked) okay, except for one thing......the static that came through
the speakers during record play sounded like an AM radio in a
thunder/lightning storm! It was that bad!
I don't profess to know much about sound theory; I've always had a
problem with conceptualizing sound (something I could hear, but could
NOT see), and understanding what can cause problems with sound.
My first thought was that it could be a problem with the mute circuit.
But then I realized the mute circuit should, in theory, prevent
extraneous sounds from the mechanism during scan sequence and record
transfer sequence from getting to the amplifier (and the speakers). The
static is happening when the juke/mech is playing a record.
I don't really understand what's happening hear, although I've heard it
referred to as "noise". Is the problem coming from the amplifier
itself? Or could it somehow be coming through the mute contacts in the
mech stack? Is it a problem with the mute circuit? Or something else?
I know it's not a cartridge problem, or a bad needle. It sounded fine
before I took the mech out, with the exception of an occasional bit of
static sound, that would last 5 to 10 seconds or so.
I will greatly appreciate any helpful hints as to what this problem
could be caused by, as well as any suggestions on how to fix this (or
even narrow it down). Thanks, Rob

Old November 4th 06, 11:44 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Stevie D

Rob, three things to check a mute relay on amp, mech stack mute
switches and finally, remove the cartridge and check for corrosion on
the pins. You might also have to clean the sockets for these pins, (in
the tonearm), as well. Actually, remove a record from the magazine,
make 'that' slot selection, and just before it lands or ends the
'transfer to play cycle' hold the tonearm, with the cartridge still
installed, lightly tap on top of the cartridge to see or hear if this
is where your problem is. Hope this helps.
Cheers, Steve

Old November 6th 06, 07:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Stevie D,
It actually DID turn out to be the needle at fault (I'm sorry, I
lied....in my original post).
Thanks for the tips.
One question remains (for me)......how do you check the mute relay on a
Seeburg amp? I have a meter; but because of my unfamiliarity with
electronics, I am still (constantly) learning how to properly use
it........that is, where do I put the black and red leads, and on what
setting ( on the meter). Thanks, Rob