Warning on fake eBay coins

Old August 31st 11, 01:44 AM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
Ignoramus4719

Default Warning on fake eBay coins

OK, how do real eBay coins look like?

Old August 31st 11, 06:23 AM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
Steve Spradlin

On Aug 30, 7:44*pm, Ignoramus4719
wrote:
OK, how do real eBay coins look like?

While some coins can be determined to be false from the the photos, it
is impossible to authenicate
a coin from a photo. For example, specific gravity, mass, diameter,
cannot be determined from a photo.
Indeed, many fraudulant coin sellers use a stolen photo of an
authentic coin. Your best bet
is to deal with sellers of known reputations, Membership in the
American Numismatic Association
is a good indication of an honest dealer, as sellers agree to abide by
the member-dealer Code of Ethics.

Their website is www.money,org
Old August 31st 11, 08:21 AM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
Dan Smith

"Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke" wrote in message
Steve Spradlin wrote:
... Your best bet
is to deal with sellers of known reputations, Membership in the
American Numismatic Association
is a good indication of an honest dealer, as sellers agree to abide by
the member-dealer Code of Ethics.

You mean the people that don't buy a subscription
don't agree to be honest?

That's quite a profession.

Is there any legit/legal profession that doesn't agree
to be honest?

I guess the non ANA coin heads are like crack dealers
and armed robbers.

It's a good thing that magazine is around to keep
us all safe.

Lumpy

You sang all those car commercials?
You got it, Toyota.
www.LumpyMusic.com

While the ANA does publish a magazine, the safety in joining comes from the
members and
dealers agreement to BINDING ARBITRATION to uphold the Codes of Ethics, viz:

Member Code of Ethics
Approved August 1965 by the ANA Board of Governors; revised February 1995.

Membership in the American Numismatic Association is a privilege extended to
those persons and organizations deemed worthy thereof and is not a matter of
right. Such membership can be maintained unless the Board of Governors
determines that the conduct of a member has been such that, in the best
interest of the Association, his/her membership should be terminated.

For the guidance of its members, this Code of Ethics has been duly adopted
by the Board of Governors under the authority vested in it by the Federal
Charter and the bylaws of the Association. Any violation of this code will
be grounds for expulsion from the American Numismatic Association.

As a member of the American Numismatic Association, I agree to comply with
the following standards of conduct:

•To support and be governed by the Federal Charter and the bylaws of the
Association, and by such rules, policies and regulations as may be in force
from time to time.
•To conduct myself so as to bring no reproach or discredit to the
Association, or impair the prestige of the membership therein.
•To base all of my dealings on the highest plane of justice, fairness and
morality, and to refrain from making false statements as to the condition of
a coin or as to any other matter.
•To neither buy nor sell numismatic items of which the ownership is
questionable.
•To conform to the accepted standards of dignified advertising.
•To take immediate steps to correct any error I may make in any transaction.
•Not to sell, exhibit, produce or advertise a counterfeit, copy, restrike or
reproduction of any numismatic item if its nature is not clearly indicated
by the word “counterfeit,” “copy,” “restrike,” or “reproduction,” incused in
the metal or printed on the paper thereof, with the exception of items
generally accepted by numismatists and not in any way misrepresented as
genuine.
•To represent a numismatic item to be genuine only when, to the best of my
knowledge and belief, it is authentic.
•To fulfill all contracts made by me, either oral or written, to make prompt
payments upon delivery and to return immediately any item that is not
satisfactory.
•To give aid to members in their quest for numismatic knowledge.
•To comply with the Dealer Code of Ethics with respect to my sale or
purchase of any numismatic item.

Home Search

Dealer Code of Ethics
Approved August 1967 by the ANA Board of Governors; revised March 2002.

As an ANA member dealer, I agree to comply with the following principles:

•To comply with the ANA Member Code of Ethics.
•To purchase and sell numismatic items at prices commensurate with a
reasonable return to the seller and for a reasonable return on my investment
with regards to the then prevailing rate.
•To furnish my clientele with advice on numismatic information to the best
of my ability.
•To not knowingly handle for resale forgeries, counterfeits, unmarked
copies, altered coins or other spurious numismatic merchandise that is not
clearly labeled as such.
•To frequently publish my statement of return privileges, which will allow
my customers a designated period of time in which to return numismatic
material for a refund, except bullion or bullion-related material may not be
returned for a refund. Said period of time shall not be less than fifteen
(15) days from the recorded date of receipt or other transmittal of said
material or not less than ten (10) days after my customer’s receipt thereof
or my attempted delivery thereof to my customer, whichever time period shall
be the earlier.
?If a customer submits a misdescribed or overgraded coin to a certification
service for authentication or grading and notifies me of such submission
within ten (10) days of my date of mailing or other delivery, I will
continue to recognize his/her return privilege for thirty (30) days after my
customer’s receipt of said coin from me.
?In an auction sale of consigned material, the return privilege period may
be made available only to mail bidders, and the period for the return of
such material may be limited to five (5) days from the mail bidder’s receipt
thereof or fifteen (15) days from the bidder’s receipt of the invoice for
such material or my attempted delivery of my invoice therefor, whichever
time period shall be the earlier.
?Whether or not an item has been returned within the limited return period,
a dealer may be subject to expulsion or other disciplinary action for
a) the intentional sale of any counterfeit item or any item with an altered
date or mintmark;
b) the intentional misrepresentation as to the grade of any item; or
c) the failure or refusal to provide a refund or replacement for any item
referred to in a) or b) preceding, whether or not the sale or
misrepresentation was intentional. Anything herein to the contrary
notwithstanding, I shall have the right to enforce my written terms of sale
furnished to a customer or the written provisions of my contract with a
customer, even if such terms and/or provisions restrict or prohibit the
return of numismatic material, contrary to the return privilege provisions
set forth herein.
However, said terms and provisions may not provide a time limit for the
return of a counterfeit coin unless I have informed my customer that a coin
may not be genuine and he/she has agreed that the coin cannot be returned to
me for a refund in the event it is determined to be counterfeit.

•To abide by all local, state and federal laws in all numismatic matters and
to assist in the prosecution of violators of the law in this respect.
•To recognize and respect my own contracts and business dealings and those
of fellow members of the Association.
•To refrain from making unjustified and/or false statements or
misrepresentations in my relations with others, and to fully cooperate in
the advancement of our hobby and business in my relations with collector and
dealer alike.

Old August 31st 11, 10:25 AM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
Gary Dorman

On Aug 27, 2:13*pm, tony cooper wrote:
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 11:22:34 -0700 (PDT), Gary

wrote:
On Aug 25, 8:25*pm, "Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke"
wrote:
rjn wrote:
Lumpy keeps using the BC gag because people keep falling for it,
including some self-appointed coin experts...

Doesn't really matter any more since, as eBay announced 2 days ago,
they will no longer accept new listings for coin sales. Allow the
current listings to expire, no new listings.

Link?

Hook, not link, and it's firmly secured in your lip.

Get out of the barrel. *Lumpy's shooting at you.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

There is something mentally wrong with a person like Lumpy who gets
their enjoyument
belittleing and mocking other people. He has done this for years.
Old August 31st 11, 11:26 AM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
Pogonip[_2_]

On 8/31/2011 2:25 AM, Gary Dorman wrote:

There is something mentally wrong with a person like Lumpy who gets
their enjoyument
belittleing and mocking other people. He has done this for years.

He does it for free, too. Don Rickles has made an excellent living at
it for years.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
Old August 31st 11, 01:47 PM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
clamz

"Steve Spradlin" wrote in message

Membership in the
American Numismatic Association
is a good indication of an honest dealer, as sellers agree to abide by
the member-dealer Code of Ethics.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Old August 31st 11, 03:54 PM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

Dan Smith wrote:
Membership in the American Numismatic Association is a privilege
extended to those persons and organizations deemed worthy thereof and
is not a matter of right. Such membership can be maintained unless
the Board of Governors determines that the conduct of a member has
been such that, in the best interest of the Association, his/her
membership should be terminated.

Hmmm. Same "privilege not right" extended to -
Members of Congress
Employees of Wendy's
Members of Alcoholics Anonymous
Jail trustees

Old August 31st 11, 06:13 PM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
Don Lancaster

There is something mentally wrong with a person like Lumpy who gets
their enjoyument
belittleing and mocking other people. He has done this for years.

Doing something wrong once is just dumb.
Doing it often is a philosophy.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
rss: http://www.tinaja.com/whtnu.xml email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com
Old September 1st 11, 09:00 PM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
Tom McGilvray

I don't know who these bozos are making fun of the ANA. Isn't this group
still an official ANA online club? These people causing disruption need to
be removed.

Old September 1st 11, 09:23 PM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
clamz

"Tom McGilvray" wrote in message
I don't know who these bozos are making fun of the ANA. Isn't this group
still an official ANA online club? These people causing disruption need to
be removed.

You forgot the L.