ebay fraud - they dont seem to want to know ?

Old April 18th 04, 02:28 AM
KLR

Default ebay fraud - they dont seem to want to know ?

Following all these suspect juke box listings by scam artists
recently, I was amazed to receive a scam "ebay login and confirm your
membership details" email/ I followed the link and it went straight
to a hoax website that asked for ID and password and update of credit
card details. I entered totally bogus random information in both -
and they were "accepted"

Next - I go to ebays web page to immediately report this fraud
immediately, in the hope that it can be quickly shut down and prevent
more of these ID THEFT problems that we have been seeing.

Ebays site did say to "forward it without any alterations to
."

I did so immediately (exactly as instructed)

(thought it was funny they would use a word like "spoof" - which is
slang for "cum" (male)

Imagine the shock when I get this reply (below)
basically that I did the wrong thing - and telling me to do the same
thing (that didnt work to start with) to try doing the exact same
again.

It does seem to me that after copping this bull**** - they dont give a
damn about reports of this fraud - and therefore stopping this
practice ?

BEWARE !!!

ALERT: Your email has not been received by eBay.
(xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
From: "eBay Customer Support" Add to Address Book

-------------------------------------

ALERT: Your email has not been received by eBay.

We reserve the
email address for handling reports of
Web
sites that have been set up to impersonate eBay. In order to
investigate
these reports in a timely manner and provide help to members who have
been affected by this type of activity, we only accept emails that are
forwarded to this address.

If you received this message after attempting to report an email that
appears to have come from eBay but actually directs you to another
site,
you must forward the message to us again by using the forward function
of your email program. Make certain that
is in the "to"
field. Do not alter the subject line, add text to your message or
forward the email as an attachment.

To help our members better protect themselves from spoof Web sites, we
have developed a new feature for the eBay Toolbar called Account
Guard. Account Guard includes an indicator of when you are on an eBay
or PayPal Web site, buttons to report fake eBay Web sites, and a
password notification feature that warns you when you may be entering
your eBay password into an unverified site. To learn more about the
eBay
Toolbar with Account Guard, open a new browser and type
www.ebay.com/ebay_toolbar into the address bar. Note that eBay will
never send you an email that includes a download as an attachment or a
link that goes to a page with a download.

eBay also recommends that you ensure that your Web browser, operating
system, and virus protection software are up to date. Check for
updates
at the Windows Update link on www.microsoft.com and scan your
computer
for viruses often.

If you have any other concerns, please use our Help system by clicking
on "help" at the top of the eBay home page.

Old April 18th 04, 07:36 AM
Don Lanway

Well first off, never heard that connotation for the word "spoof"... means
the same as scam, ploy, deception.

That being said.. Ebay not only doesn't care, they welcome phony auctions,
shill bidding, non-payers, etc... as long as they get their bucks for every
auction listed, that ain't gonna change. Let's see a big outfit put up a
truly "Free to list" web auction system.. with an anonymous remailing
system.... and they only get one percent of every auction that's completed.
They also should broker the money transactions and mediate disputes. But
then, I believed in Santa Claus when I was a little boy too.

Don

{Have you heard that Miscrosoft bought out Hoover vacuums and is planning a
major upgrade? They're finally going to have a product that doesn't suck!}

Old April 18th 04, 07:55 AM
KLR

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 06:36:02 GMT, "Don Lanway"
wrote:

Well first off, never heard that connotation for the word "spoof"... means
the same as scam, ploy, deception.

Very common in Australia particularly during the 1980's. Seen it in
various books etc over the years used to describe that particular
substance .

When I first saw it used on Ebays site as an email address - I thought
it was some sort of a joke. Well actually their fraud reporting
service did turn out to be a joke - so I was sorta right

That being said.. Ebay not only doesn't care, they welcome phony auctions,
shill bidding, non-payers, etc... as long as they get their bucks for every
auction listed, that ain't gonna change. Let's see a big outfit put up a
truly "Free to list" web auction system.. with an anonymous remailing
system.... and they only get one percent of every auction that's completed.
They also should broker the money transactions and mediate disputes. But
then, I believed in Santa Claus when I was a little boy too.

Don

{Have you heard that Miscrosoft bought out Hoover vacuums and is planning a
major upgrade? They're finally going to have a product that doesn't suck!}

yep. And air conditioners as they are like computers - open windows
and they work much less efficiently.

Old April 18th 04, 05:54 PM
Dennis Lavin

I also have had messages from ebay like yours.
I have sent suspious emails to the and they replied
that I should send any email messages like those to !!

A while ago I was asking a ebay member about a seeburg 100B juke
thrugh the ebay "ask a member a question" form, that was on
auction,and within an hour I had a person emailing me to go to there
web site that they had a seeburg 100B for sale also, and would sell it
cheap! How did they get my email from ebay?? I have never ever talked
to the 2nd party!

Dennis Lavin.

Old April 18th 04, 08:08 PM
Don Lanway

Yeah.. and have you noticed there is no way to talk to a real person? Only
business I know of that never lists their phone number...

"Dave H." wrote in message
KLR wrote in message news SNIP
Ebays site did say to "forward it without any alterations to
."

SNIP
-------------------------------------
ALERT: Your email has not been received by eBay.
We reserve the
email address for handling reports of
Web

SNIPPED Blah blah etc. from ebay.

The ebay email address gives the appearance of caring about the scam
problems. The ebay response to a scam report suggests short-sighted
managment looking for maximum short-term profits. There is no quick money

in
chasing scammers. Yet failing to vigorously pursue fraud further tarnishes
Ebay's reputation, (and reduces the value of the brand).

I'm not wasting any more time warning ebay about scams. They don't want to
hear about them. I sent ebay a complete hoax email, headers and all, to
spoof@ebay. Got the same auto-reply message, showing that nobody read the
email, or cared to stop the scam. The reply email seems designed to

alienate
ebay members. More competent managment could create a friendly

autoresponse
email, at little or no cost, thanking us for a report, while ignoring the
contents, as usual (but don't tell them this!).

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old April 19th 04, 08:57 PM
Dennis Lavin

LOOK What I found !!!

http://auctionknowhow.com/resource/e...e-number.shtml

Fraud on eBay? Dan Hughes Autographs 5 September 27th 04 01:34 PM
Ebay Email Scams.........Letter and Ebay response CalRima Autographs 2 August 23rd 04 02:43 AM
Ebay autograph policy Gummby3 Autographs 0 April 16th 04 01:29 AM
do not forward OFF this group that Xlist dahoov2 Autographs 4 March 9th 04 03:45 AM
Ebay FRAUD alert ThomasTeeter Juke Boxes 6 January 22nd 04 04:34 AM