RCC Swap feedback

Old December 21st 04, 08:50 AM
Fernando de la Cuadra

Default RCC Swap feedback

Hello all.

I'd received yesterday my Holiday coins. Really incredible!!!

I thought that getting a vouple of coins will be great. Not, I have now... 8
coins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It starts with a Silver dollar, dated 187sometning. Also halves, dimes, half
dimes... the newer coin is 1936!!!!! That's really amazing. I'm really
happy!! Really appreciate, Mark!!!!!

Now, just a comment. In US, you've been using dollars since the dollar
exists, so: are all the coins legal currency nowadays? I mean, can be used
in 2004, for example, the dimes from 1880?

It's a different view for collecting coins. Interest view. In Spain, apart
from Euro, many coins were retired, and you were not able to use it as
currency. For example, the 1983 2 pesetas coin was retired in early '90,
just 7 years for a coin. But dimes has been circulating for many years!

I wish a really merry christmas and a very happy new year to all my new
friends in RCC.

Fernando

Old December 21st 04, 11:28 AM
Christian Feldhaus

Fernando de la Cuadra wrote:

Now, just a comment. In US, you've been using dollars since the dollar
exists, so: are all the coins legal currency nowadays? I mean, can be used
in 2004, for example, the dimes from 1880?

Basically yes. Whether you would actually want to do it is another
question g.

In Spain, apart from Euro, many coins were retired, and you were not able
to use it as currency. For example, the 1983 2 pesetas coin was retired in
early '90, just 7 years for a coin. But dimes has been circulating for
many years!

Different countries have different policies :-) In Germany, many coins
from the early 1950's circulated until early 2002. (Shortly before the
euro cash came, you could still find a few 1948 or 1949 pfennig coins in
circulation, and lots dated 1950.) And even today the coins that do not
circulate any more are still worth the face value at the central bank.

Primarily a political thing, I guess; trust in the money issued by the
government and all that g. Practically there is nothing wrong in my
opinion with demonetizing coins if they become useless due to inflation
or are replaced by other pieces.

Christian
Old December 21st 04, 11:56 AM
Ian

Christian Feldhaus wrote:

Practically there is nothing wrong in my
opinion with demonetizing coins if they become useless due to inflation
or are replaced by other pieces.

Christian

Ordinarily I would agree. However having in my possession some £450.00
face value of bronze french 10 francs from the 1980's that were
demonetised and rendered totally worthless before I knew anything about
it, leaves me with the distinct wish to see them pre-heated beyond a
tactile friendly temperature and then inserted one at a time into a
certain French Presidents posterior orifice.

I ask, what more fitting end could there be to a defunct and completely
worthless, demonetised on the sly french coinage?

Ian
`What? ME bitter? Never.'
Old December 21st 04, 12:05 PM
Larry Louks

"Ian" expressed himself in this manner:
... having in my possession some £450.00 face value of bronze french 10
francs from the 1980's that were demonetised and rendered totally
worthless before I knew anything about it, leaves me with the distinct
wish to see them pre-heated beyond a tactile friendly temperature and then
inserted one at a time into a certain French Presidents posterior orifice.

Aw, come on, Ian. Tell us how you REALLY feel about getting zapped with all
that worthless coinage.

Larry
'things are prone to change in value'

Old December 21st 04, 12:42 PM
Fernando de la Cuadra

I ask, what more fitting end could there be to a defunct and completely
worthless, demonetised on the sly french coinage?

Sorry... I never try to bring back bad memories!! :-)))

Fernando

Old December 21st 04, 01:15 PM
Jerry Dennis

Well, a lot of interesting stories from Euroland, but nobody answered
Fernando's question. :-)

"Fernando" originally wrote, in part:

Now, just a comment. In US, you've been using dollars since the dollar
exists, so: are all the coins legal currency nowadays? I mean, can be used
in 2004, for example, the dimes from 1880?

Simply put, yes. Any U.S. coin ever minted is still legal tender and may be
spent at face value. However, there is a bit of confusion concerning the U.S.
Trade Dollar (struck for foreign circulation 1873-1878, proofs struck until
1885). I can't give a definitive answer about them, but if someone wanted to
pay me with Trade Dollars, I'd be more than happy to accept them. :-)

Jerry
Old December 21st 04, 01:30 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Ian wrote:

Ordinarily I would agree. However having in my possession some £450.00
face value of bronze french 10 francs from the 1980's that were
demonetised and rendered totally worthless before I knew anything about
it, leaves me with the distinct wish to see them pre-heated beyond a
tactile friendly temperature and then inserted one at a time into a
certain French Presidents posterior orifice.

I ask, what more fitting end could there be to a defunct and completely
worthless, demonetised on the sly french coinage?

Did not intend to touch a sore subject, sorry. But isn't that fairly
common practice elsewhere too? Don't know if the British coins that are
not used in circulation any more can still be changed into "current
cash". But I also have some Austrian and French coins that ceased to be
legal tender quite a while before the euro came ... not as much as you,
though.

Of course, rendering coins "totally worthless" does (well, should)
require some announcement at a relatively early stage. I was a bit
surprised, for example, when I read a few years ago that even the latest
Portugese pre-euro coins would lose their value only ten months after
the escudo ceased to be legal tender. But usually you have more time ...

Just in case you have some pre-euro coins from Belgium or Luxembourg
left: They will become worthless at the end of this year. In 2005 the
French!! ones follow (the deadline is mid-February, I think), and the
end of 2006 marks the end of the Dutch pre-euro coins.

Oh, and ... your nice card did not sound quite that bitter :-) Danke!

Merry Christmas --
Christian
Old December 21st 04, 01:45 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Jerry Dennis wrote:

Well, a lot of interesting stories from Euroland, but nobody answered
Fernando's question. :-)

Phhh ;-) When I wrote "Basically yes. Whether you would" etc., that was
my answer. Well, a quick attempt thereof g.

Christian
Old December 21st 04, 02:01 PM
Ian

Christian Feldhaus wrote:
Ian wrote:

[...]

It arrived then :-)

My only sore point concerning demonetisation is the (+/-)450 x 10fr
coins that I hade been slowly accumulating since the early 80's with the
view to some spending money for the kids on a trip to France at some
point. The trip never happened but the accumulation went on
accumulating. I found out about the coins demise in 1998, and felt like
a real chump. Just as I was thinking `will I go to France this year /
buy some nice French ecu's or not....'. In the end I decided that if I
went to France I would probably end up in jail for attempted assault on
their president with heated 10 franc pieces. I went to Belgium instead
that year. ;-)

You may recall (then again probably not) I expressed a little bit of
cynicism over the introduction of the euro in relation to the short
timeframes provided by most governments for the changeover of currency.
I must confess that I was pleasantly surprised with the Austrian policy.
THAT is the kind of confidence people should be able to have in their
coinage past and future.

There is something to be said for bland coinage that still remains
spendable 100 or so years later. The swiss are good for that too. :-)

Ian
Old December 21st 04, 03:02 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Ian wrote:

My only sore point concerning demonetisation is the (+/-)450 x 10fr
coins that I hade been slowly accumulating since the early 80's with the
view to some spending money for the kids on a trip to France at some
point. The trip never happened but the accumulation went on
accumulating. I found out about the coins demise in 1998, and felt like
a real chump. Just as I was thinking `will I go to France this year /
buy some nice French ecu's or not....'. In the end I decided that if I
went to France I would probably end up in jail for attempted assault on
their president with heated 10 franc pieces. I went to Belgium instead
that year. ;-)

Had that happened to me, I'd be miffed as well (to put it mildly). But
again, while such a demonetization would never happen with a German Mark
note or coin, for example, it is common in many countries ...

You may recall (then again probably not) I expressed a little bit of
cynicism over the introduction of the euro in relation to the short
timeframes provided by most governments for the changeover of currency.
I must confess that I was pleasantly surprised with the Austrian policy.
THAT is the kind of confidence people should be able to have in their
coinage past and future.

Actually it's Austria, Germany, Ireland and Spain that allow you to
change the pre-euro coinage (ie. the coins that were legal tender in the
last pre-euro phase) into euro cash forever. In Germany you can even do
that with coins that were taken out of circulation a long time before
the euro came. Try that with certain Austrian coins from the 1950s ...

Also, in Belgium and Luxembourg the pre-euro notes never lose their
value; just the coins do. It is only the _coins_ from _six_ countries
that became or become worthless before 2012.

There is something to be said for bland coinage that still remains
spendable 100 or so years later.

Neat but not necessary. Next time I come to the UK, I will take some
farthings or big pennies with me g.

The swiss are good for that too. :-)

To some extent, yes. Just don't try spending a 1000 CHF note from 1957,
for example. It was recalled in 1980 and became worthless in 2000.
The notes of the sixth series (1979) are not legal tender any more, but
can be exchanged at the Swiss National Bank (SNB) until 2020.

The Swiss silver circulation coins minted until the mid/late 1960s are
not legal tender any more either. But the SNB will gladly give you Cu-Ni
pieces or paper money for them :-)

Christian