OT kinda--as in it's not coins but--Freeze drying old paper currency.

Old February 21st 04, 04:18 AM
bri

Default OT kinda--as in it's not coins but--Freeze drying old paper currency.

The company I work for has taken old documents to another company that does
freeze drying to stop rot and remove moisture. It worked like magic. Made
all the paper dry and crisp almost like new so then we could get good scans
without damaging them.
Has anyone ever tried freeze drying old paper currency?
Or what could I do to get rid of white mold on some
not-really-worth-anything late 40's Korean bills?
How about a trip 'round the microwave cart?
I also thought about letting them sit in the sun for a few days, but
wouldn't that bleach out the colors even more?
Opinions expert or otherwise are apprieciated as always ;-)

Old February 21st 04, 09:48 PM
Coin Saver

From: "bri"

The company I work for has taken old documents to another company that does

freeze drying to stop rot and remove moisture ... Has anyone ever tried freeze
drying old paper currency?

You should be aware that the "formula" for making the paper for those documents
and the "formula" for making the paper for currency is *drastically* different.

8-]

Coin Saver
Old February 22nd 04, 12:12 AM
bri

From: "bri"

The company I work for has taken old documents to another company that

does
freeze drying to stop rot and remove moisture ... Has anyone ever tried

freeze
drying old paper currency?

You should be aware that the "formula" for making the paper for those

documents
and the "formula" for making the paper for currency is *drastically*

different.

8-]

Coin Saver

Yeah that's what I figured. The Korean stuff is more cloth like than US.
Some of the Japanese are just exactly like Chance cards in Monopoly. The
clothy ones have that white mold. I put them all except the really bad stack
inbetween some expensive stationary and slid that into a mylar sheet made
for a comic book. I did that aboot 6 months ago and the stationary is
already turning color where the money touches the paper. Of course, the best
one of the lot (1947 korean--last year for a unified Korea) has english
written on it "5 won" which no doubt ruins the value some.
Maybe I ought too dip them in a jar of Clorox--that'll kill off that nashty
goo!

Old February 22nd 04, 01:49 AM
Aladdin Sane

If your going to be that drastic, try a weak solution and use a sponge to
dab. Have another with clean water to dry, or use a tissue. Dab, don't
wipe.

--
*
/?\