Turkey 1865-76 "Duloz" issues

Old March 3rd 10, 12:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default Turkey 1865-76 "Duloz" issues

On Mar 2, 4:55*am, Nick Bridgwater No@Spam wrote:
I've got the images, thanks Rodney - I've posted them up athttp://cjoint.com/data/dckYJjWPMy.htm

The top image is the whole overprint, while images (3) to (7) are the
different overprints at the top.

According to my Gibbons, #3 was used in 1865, #4 in 1867, #5 in 1868-73,
#6 in 1874-5, and #7 in 1876-77.

I'm sure that they mean roughly the same thing but given the fairly large
differences in the scripts there must be some difference between them, at
least in Turkish ?

Regards,
Nick

"rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote :

Basically all the same thing Nick.
The types refer to just the differences in script,
apart from 10 para type B which was script on the left "Osmanie"

I can scan my old 1960 SG and give chapter and verse if you so wish.
Rodney

"Nick Bridgwater" No@Spam wrote in message
.109.145...
According to my Gibbons catalogue, the 1865-76 issues of the Ottoman
Empire were overprinted with four groups of Turkish characters at the
top, bottom, & sides, around the oval band surrounding the star and
crescent.

Gibbons says that the right says "Posta", the top "Devlete", and the
left "Osmanie" translating to "Post of the Government of Turkey" in
english, while the characters at the bottom express the value in
words.

If that is so, why do the issues from 1865 - 1876 have different
overprints at the top - Gibbons details 5 different types. *What do
the different overprints mean ?

Regards,
Nick

the words / letters are the same as far as I can see.

IMHO the differences are the equivalent of
different fonts or writing styles.

this may a poor explanation and I would bow
to anyone with a better knowledge of Arabic
or Turkish than myself.

Blair