AMI Model B

Old April 11th 07, 09:14 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
BingFan

Default AMI Model B

Hi Folks,

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with the AMI Model B mechanics?

I'm not getting power to the record changer.

I've changed the fuses and checked the wiring (but not that closely)

I'm hoping the motor isn't shot.

Any help would be grately appreciated

Ba Ba Ba Bing Fan

Old April 11th 07, 10:50 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Keith Stelter

When you say that you aren't "getting power" do you mean that you checked it
with a gauge or test light, or that it just isn't working?
Also, was it working and then quit, or did you buy this juke in this
condition? Answering these questions will help us troubleshoot.

4...

Old April 11th 07, 02:25 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Bing Fan

Thanks for your reply.
I haven't tested it with anything.
It wasn't working when I bought it.
Only the lights, turntable and amplifier works.
The tone arm won't play a record completely through because of a gear /
wheel that is part of the mechanism that isn't working (forgive my
ignorance, this is all new to me)
The woman I bought it from said a friend looked at it and said it just
needed some lubrication with a carborator cleaner.
The wiring is rather brittle in spots. So that may be the problem.
I can post a picture or two if it would help

Thanks!

Ba Ba Ba Bing Fan

"Keith Stelter" wrote in
:

Old April 11th 07, 11:05 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Keith Stelter

Ok.
First off, buy a manual for it. I know it might cost $40.00 or so, but it
will save you TONS of time, and will allow you to speak "juke-ese" with all
of us old timers because you will know what the parts are actually called.
Actually there are a few on Ebay stores right now for under $20.00.
REPLACE ALL OF THE WIRING!!!!
The juke will never work correctly with bad wiring, and there are actually
quite a few jukebox fires because of bad wiring.
Next you will need to take apart and clean the mechanism. Using carb cleaner
or other spray cleaners will damage the mech parts, and will only solve the
problem for a few weeks at most before things gum back up.
After you replace the wires and clean the mechanism, lubricate it with light
oil like Marvel Mystery Oil or 3-in-one oil as you put it together.
Then you will need a volt/ohm meter that you can buy just about anywhere for
under $20.00.
After that we can start testing different things.
I would bet that you either have a mechanism motor that is completely frozen
up with 60 year old grease in it that has turned to hard wax, or that the
power supply isn't working correctly.
As far as not playing the record all the way, there is a fairly simple
adjustment on the tonearm that can be made so that a little arm hits a limit
switch earlier or later during the record play.
Keep us updated!

6.120...

Old April 13th 07, 02:04 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Bing Fan

Thanks for all your help.

I do have a manual and I'll start the rewiring soon.
I'll let you know where I'm at in the process

Thanks again

Ba Ba Ba Bing Fan

"Keith Stelter" wrote in
: