Bookstores Around the World (rec.arts.books) (FAQ)

Old February 25th 04, 12:33 PM

Default Bookstores Around the World (rec.arts.books) (FAQ)

In article ,
(Evelyn C. Leeper) wrote:

Last change:
Sun 25 Jan 2004

These lists are available on the Web at:
http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper/uk-engl.htm UK (England,
not
London)

A few follow-ups on this one.

In Ludlow, it is no longer accurate to say "In the town center, no
building is newer than fifty years old". (Actually, it never was accurate
in recent memory, but it's further off the mark since the construction of
a few high-profile buildings.)

Peter J. Hadley (for whom I work) has left Norwich and is now trading in
Harwich, Essex, as Harwich Old Books. Tel/fax 01255 551667, Web unchanged,
opening hours Fri-Sat all day, Sun afternoon, other times by appointment,
general stock as well as the old specialities.

Scientific Anglian in Norwich closed two or three years ago.

HTH
Old February 25th 04, 02:32 PM
Evelyn C. Leeper

In article ,
(Evelyn C. Leeper) wrote:

http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper/uk-engl.htm UK (England,
not
London)

A few follow-ups on this one.

In Ludlow, it is no longer accurate to say "In the town center, no
building is newer than fifty years old". (Actually, it never was accurate
in recent memory, but it's further off the mark since the construction of
a few high-profile buildings.)

Oh, well.

I remember Ludlow fondly, maybe because I found a really great old
edition of Kipling's KIM, in blue leather, with swastikas embossed all
over it in gold. (In Uffa's Dyke Bookshop, IIRC, which is, alas, no
more.) Not valuable or anything, but the sort of thing that's so much
more evocative of the contents than the usual mass market binding.

And it's the sort of decoration one doesn't see much any more outside
India itself. :-)

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper

Old February 14th 05, 04:33 PM
Len

your listings for Vancouver, BC, Western Canada, the following
stores are no longer open (or at least they're no longer listed in the
Yellow Pages):

Ainsworth's
Ashley Books
Black Sheep Books
Bond's (Ed is now internet-only)
Michael Thompson Bookseller (I think he relocated to Victoria, BC)
Munro's
Mystery Merchant Bookstore
Vancouver Women's Bookstore
William McCarley's Bookstore
Zebra Books Ltd.

And the following can be added to your list:

Arcanum Books (317A Cambie, 604 681-5411). Used & rare religion,
metaphisics, philosophy, etc.
Criterion Books (434 W Pender, 604 685-2224). Used & rare.
Half Moon Bookstore (#103-519 SW Marine Dr., 604 301-9075). New &
used Japanese Manga, Anime, etc.
Hermit Books (2509 W Broadway, 604 732-4070). General stock of used
books.
Kestrel Books (3408 Cambie, 604 872-2939). New & used general stock,
arts, literature, children's, etc.
Stephen Lunsford Books (#710-207 W Hastings, 604 681-6830). Used &
rare Canadiana, Americana, etc.

Hope this helps...

Len