It's Not Just People on ebay

Old April 23rd 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default It's Not Just People on ebay

I am amazed on the number of people whose listings show up on
bookfinder.com who think that "signed" means that the owner has written
his name on the inside of the front cover.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Life is all memory, except for the one present moment that goes

Old April 24th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Evelyn C. Leeper wrote:

I am amazed on the number of people whose listings show up on
bookfinder.com who think that "signed" means that the owner has
written his name on the inside of the front cover.

That is truly frightening.

Francis A. Miniter
Old April 24th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Evelyn C. Leeper wrote:
I am amazed on the number of people whose listings show up on
bookfinder.com who think that "signed" means that the owner has written
his name on the inside of the front cover.

I've always thought that, at ABE at least, those listings show up as a
result of ABE's own search protocol, which picks up as a "signed book"
any description than includes "signed", "signature", "inscribed", or
"inscription". So you'll end up with results that include books
described as having a "non-authorial inscription" or "previous owner's
signature", not because the lister is an idiot, but because the search
program is.

--Jon Meyers
Old April 24th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:04:03 -0400, "Evelyn C. Leeper"
wrote:

I am amazed on the number of people whose listings show up on
bookfinder.com who think that "signed" means that the owner has written
his name on the inside of the front cover.

To be fair I think (at least in ABE's case) that the culprit is lousy
software which sets a flag for "signed" if words like signature,
inscribed or signed show up anywhere in the description, whether it
was the author or your Granny who doodled in the book.

Old April 24th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

wrote in message
oups.com...

There has been a huge influx of amateur sellers on to most of the major
book selling sites including ABE.

Amateur seller is an oxymoron.

Old April 24th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

In article ,
"fvndoc" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

There has been a huge influx of amateur sellers on to most of the major
book selling sites including ABE.

Amateur seller is an oxymoron.

Only technically, and only if you're playing silly buggers with the
precise meaning of words.

I think that "amateur seller" is a perfect description of folks who
post listing for books using such phrases as "looks great for its age,"
"antique book," or "rare" when they're talking about a book that has
2,000,000 copies on eBay.
Old April 24th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Scot Kamins" wrote in message
In article ,
"fvndoc" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

There has been a huge influx of amateur sellers on to most of the major
book selling sites including ABE.

Amateur seller is an oxymoron.

Only technically,

As opposed to which?

and only if you're playing silly buggers with the
precise meaning of words.

Yes Dvorak we wouldn't perhaps have chesterfields to sing precise
definements: that wood bee vireo limiting two are creativeness. Werds
without presized meanness our sew much easier to overstanding. The romance
sandwiches are very underrated, that's why I correct kerns.

I think that "amateur seller" is a perfect description of folks who
post listing for books using such phrases as "looks great for its age,"
"antique book," or "rare" when they're talking about a book that has
2,000,000 copies on eBay.

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/... sortby=1&x=0

HTH.

Old April 24th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

fvndoc wrote:

HTH.

Nope. Totally unhelpful. As always. Nice to know there are some
things I can count in this fickle world.

--Jon Meyers
Old April 24th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Jon Meyers" wrote in message

Nice to know there are some things I can count in this fickle world.

Besides your fingers did you mean?