Another (worse) Rushdie forged signature on eBay

Old February 19th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Another (worse) Rushdie forged signature on eBay

Apparently a forged signature doesn't have to even remotely resemble the
genuine article to draw in the suckers:

All I can say about this one is that the initials are correct, and
there's apparently supposed to be a dotted letter in the last name (Sara
Rice? Sam Ruiz?); other than that, everything else is wrong.

Yes, I contacted the seller and pointed out how bad the sig was (with a
link to a genuine sample). The seller's response was (I'm paraphrasing
here), "Omigosh, you're right--it does look like that's a forgery. I'll
let the winning bidder know *after the auction is over* and let the
buyer decide then if s/he still wants the book." R-i-i-i-i-ght.

Oh well, whaddaya gonna do? (Besides whinge about it here, of course.)

--Jon Meyers
Old February 19th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"THIS BOOK IS CONTROVERSIAL AND THE AUTHOR, SALMAN RUSHDIE, WAS NEARLY
KILLED FOR WRITING IT."

I guess I missed hearing that he was "nearly killed"... I know he went
into seclusion/hiding after the fatwa (sp?) was issued for his death,
but I didn't know anyone came close. I guess it was good that he
didn't have a cartoon of Allah on the dust jacket.

As to the seller's response? I hope it is atypical but I wouldn't bet
on it

Old February 19th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Jon Meyers" wrote in message

Apparently a forged signature doesn't have to even remotely resemble the
genuine article to draw in the suckers:

All I can say about this one is that the initials are correct, and
there's apparently supposed to be a dotted letter in the last name (Sara
Rice? Sam Ruiz?); other than that, everything else is wrong.

Yes, I contacted the seller and pointed out how bad the sig was (with a
link to a genuine sample). The seller's response was (I'm paraphrasing
here), "Omigosh, you're right--it does look like that's a forgery. I'll
let the winning bidder know *after the auction is over* and let the
buyer decide then if s/he still wants the book." R-i-i-i-i-ght.

Oh well, whaddaya gonna do? (Besides whinge about it here, of course.)

In the description she says she bought it on eBay herself.

However looking at the description, it doesn't actually state that
the autograph is actually by Rushie. i.e it's merely implied.

Maybe she was scammed herself and is merely repaying the
compliment.

It's interesting that all the feedback is as a buyer
in an ebay career stretching back to 2001 and that while
3 of the 4 checkable auctions may be buying feedabck one
is for DVDs at $255.

While her boyfriend got the blame for the only neg -

Bidder never sent money. I lost the listing fee and had
to re-list the item.
Seller bronxian ( 181) Jan-29-02 20:43 1301530209

Reply by shannonscogin: boyfriend bid on this & he forgot 2
send pmt .Tried to make deal w/S -he refused Jan-31-02 15:32

Maybe the boyfriend is responsible for the signature as well.

michael adams

--Jon Meyers

Old February 19th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

I found that the feedback she left for others more interesting...In the
auction where she received the negative, she retalliated and left a
negative feedback for the seller:

"my boyfriend bid on this & forgot 2 send pmt Tried to make deal w/S -
He REFUSED
Reply by bronxian: This is BULL, they claimed pymnt was sent. Y would
I refuse to receive money,Dah"

Out of 117 feedbacks that she left for others, she left 2 neutrals and
a total of 4 negatives... seems like she has a hard time picking
sellers, as well as boyfriends.

Old February 19th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Jon Meyers" wrote in message

[...]

Er that is what "autographed" actually means. However I suspect the
vendor was scammed (and fobbed of with an argument similar to the
last sentence,) nevertheless.

Old February 19th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Sam" wrote in message
ups.com...
I found that the feedback she left for others more interesting...In the
auction where she received the negative, she retalliated and left a
negative feedback for the seller:

"my boyfriend bid on this & forgot 2 send pmt Tried to make deal w/S -
He REFUSED
Reply by bronxian: This is BULL, they claimed pymnt was sent. Y would
I refuse to receive money,Dah"

Out of 117 feedbacks that she left for others, she left 2 neutrals and
a total of 4 negatives... seems like she has a hard time picking
sellers, as well as boyfriends.

Whoever she is I doubt if she's an expert on Salman Rushdie
autographs. I'm willing to believe that until Jon contacted
her she honestly believed that that Sara Rice or whoever
signature, really was Rushdie. As maybe did the dope who
made the "discovery" and stuck it on eBay for her to buy.
While some other Rushdie besotted dope may now buy it, and
sleep with it under their pillow for the next 40 years
instead.

michael adams

Old February 19th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Jon Meyers" wrote in message
Apparently a forged signature doesn't have to even remotely resemble the
genuine article to draw in the suckers:

All I can say about this one is that the initials are correct, and there's
apparently supposed to be a dotted letter in the last name (Sara Rice? Sam
Ruiz?); other than that, everything else is wrong.

Yes, I contacted the seller and pointed out how bad the sig was (with a
link to a genuine sample). The seller's response was (I'm paraphrasing
here), "Omigosh, you're right--it does look like that's a forgery. I'll
let the winning bidder know *after the auction is over* and let the buyer
decide then if s/he still wants the book." R-i-i-i-i-ght.

Oh well, whaddaya gonna do? (Besides whinge about it here, of course.)

--Jon Meyers

That's the kind of thing I'd report to eBay: a seller who *knows* it's
fake, and doesn't cancel the listing. They can't get away with "I
don't know if this is real or not" .... and you have them dead to
rights with that email admission of what they plan to do next.

Kris

Old February 19th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

I think that book was signed by Sammy Davis :-)

Denton

Old February 20th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

I'm gonna go with "Silly Puddy".

Michael

Old February 20th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Denton Taylor wrote:
I think that book was signed by Sammy Davis :-)

If I were going to guess someone famous, I'd go with the director Sam
Raimi. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the guts to attampt to sell it
on that basis, though.

RPN