Scott Russia no mentoin of CTO

Old March 5th 10, 09:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Default Scott Russia no mentoin of CTO

I'm not sure that the Australian 5/- Bridge sells for more CTO than
for VFU. I'd be glad to swap a CTO copy for a VFU copy, if anyone has
one to offer ...

On the broader question of CTOs, though: they can have a place, even
for the philatelic purist. Take this pair of cancelled copies of
Sirmoor SG 3

http://cjoint.com/?dfkUejs3W7

The left-hand copy is CTO, the right-hand copy is postally used,
towards the end of the life of the Sirmoor PO.

As these stamps were originally created to meet philatelic demand for
the long obsolete first issue of Sirmoor (and the original stones
having been lost, the design - mock perforations and all - was copied
from a dealer's catalogue), it seems rather fitting that they should
be represented by a CTO copy. It's just as fitting to represent them
by a second copy, postmarked in the last philatelic months of Sirmoor,
as all the old leftovers were being used up.

Of course, if you held a gun to my head and demanded I choose one or
the other, the answer would be obvious.

Tony
Old March 6th 10, 07:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Rein"
Rodney,

not all CTO's enjoy the same print route. Your beloved Romanian ones had a
truely printed "CDS" in the same method as the other colours of the stamp:
photogravure!

I thought so Rein, but I hadn't studied them under microscope.

I love them, preferably in blocks of 4 with a legible post
office other than Bucuresti!

Whaaaaat!? Have you taken leave of your senses?

Also the USSR and Bulgaria had these
photogravure printed delicatessen! Occasionally other countries have the
same type of CTO like Kenya or Switzerland [although the majority I have
seen so far had the Heidelberg typographed CDS's]....
groetjes, Rein

If you admire Romania print-ons, may I suggest a foray into Cinderella collecting?
It's made for you
Maybe some Dune stamps?

Op Fri, 05 Mar 2010 05:33:52 +0100 schreef rodney iprimus.com.au
"pookiethai"@NOSPAM:

Hi Alfred,
The Australian CTO fetches higher prices due to condition and scarcity.
CTO's are not "remainders" per se, but I treat them as such
Excess printings made for the public, (and why not?)

Remainders were excess issues marked in preference to burning them like Pitcairn and
others through time.
Some CTO's were so printed for collectors, as was the Australian, so the less fortunate
could still own quality sets.
Whatever you call it, they enjoy the same print route as the original, but are made lazy
as they are prevented from work.
Prejudice lives with the collector, one doen't have to join the majority.

Some time ago, the "Philatelic elite" considered covers included in an exhibit were "padding"
the resulting corollory was that people were soaking stamps off cover.
Some time in the future we may see the folly of collecting gum.

If your Malay expert continues to sell at FU price, then one must expect he is being successful.

I personally have no prejudice with CTO's excepting those countries that produce
issues with what looks like "printed on" cancellations, Romania being the biggest offender,
The cancellations look crass.
Rodney

"Alfred Lee" wrote in message ...
Despite the prevalent prejudice of CTO remainders, I wonder if the term CTO always mean 'remainders'?

Australian Roo's and the 5/- Sydney Harbor bridge fetches a higher price when CTO, compared to a VFU piece.

For North Borneo, there is a renowned philatelist, a Malay expert, who almost always try to sell us CTO remainders
at
FU price. Yes, he's been doing it since i was a teenager. My daughter will be a teen in a few years time.
His name? P. S***er.

alfred

wrote in message
This has been a wonderment of mine for some time. Unless I missing
something, Scott Catalog makes no mention of CTO's in their Russia
section. Of course, I only have the Classic cat., but you'd think,
with the majority of used being CTO, they'd say something of the
value. Scott says in numerous places and cases that postally used are
considerable more valulable, but not for Russia. Any thoughts on
this.
Wolf-==-

http://www.opera.com/mail/

Old March 6th 10, 08:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Very nice Tony,
I have purloined your scan for my records.

So how are the perfs recorded in Gibbons? 14 and 12 x 14 and 13.5? hehehe

I see this obsession with the obtuse still grips you.

Old March 6th 10, 09:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

On Mar 6, 7:07*pm, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote:
Very nice Tony,
*I have purloined your scan for my records.

So how are the perfs recorded in Gibbons? *14 and 12 x 14 and 13.5? hehehe

I see this obsession with the obtuse still grips you.

Now, Rodney, don't get me started again. Bad for my blood pressure.

Tony
Old March 6th 10, 12:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

Op Sat, 06 Mar 2010 08:59:49 +0100 schreef rodney iprimus.com.au
"pookiethai"@NOSPAM:

"Rein"

It's made for you
Maybe some Dune stamps?

Rod,

Certainly, as I can get it clear whether they had been printed in the PWPW
in Warszawa or by the State Printers in Bucuresti
That would be most interesting!

Just like a lot of Nicaraguan, Vietnamese, Guinese, etc stamps had been
CTO printed in Habana - offset-litho though!

groetjes, Rein

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old March 7th 10, 03:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

That's surprising Tony,
I thought you could easily manage an upstart.
So, perhaps you need to engage and join a "health club"
like mysself, albeit mine is more like an "unhealthy club"
I thought ten press ups would be a snip.
I really think some weird aliens have landed, and I have been hit
with a memory reducing ray, and a flab gun.

"Asia-translation"

Old March 7th 10, 12:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

hahahah

"Asia-translation"
My body is a fun park, too, Rodney, but at my age, the rides are
running a bit slower. Don't want to risk bursting a boiler in the
hydraulics that keep the place going. I think I will stick to
thinking happy thoughts only.

Old March 13th 10, 10:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ryan Davenport

Peter Buder wrote:
wrote in ...
This has been a wonderment of mine for some time. Unless I missing
something, Scott Catalog makes no mention of CTO's in their Russia
section. Of course, I only have the Classic cat., but you'd think,
with the majority of used being CTO, they'd say something of the
value. Scott says in numerous places and cases that postally used are
considerable more valulable, but not for Russia. Any thoughts on
this.
Wolf-==--

In case of Michel, it says cto Borneo is more than half down, compared
to postaly used - they have two price-coloumns. Russia - I think about
half of that, past revolutionary stuff. ist cto and the michel catalogue
says, there is a premium to postaly used.
I agree, it IS somewhat difficult to find postaly used examples, but not
TOO hard. Two third of my collection is postaly used and there are not
too many gaps. It might be harder to get Borneo stamp postaly used.

Peter

I haven't had much luck in finding postally used USSR or Bulgarian
stamps. Czech, Hungarian, DDR (especially), Polish, Romanian stamps are
all things I've been able to find postally used in good quantity over
the years. But for their populations, postally used USSR and Bulgarian
stamps have been hard to come by.
This site claims that the majority of postal use in the USSR was
handled by pre-printed envelopes, not by affixed stamps.

http://www.sijtzereurich.nl/rouble_of_1961.html

The relevant quote:

-----

What did the mail look like in 1960?

In the Soviet Union of 1960 most mail was sent in covers with imprinted
stamps. Most covers were illustrated too. The imprinted stamp came in
several denominations: 40 kopecks for a normal letter (the lion’s share
of the covers); 60 kopecks for an inland airmail letter or an
international letter; 1 rouble 60 kopecks for an international airmail
letter. Besides there were postcards with imprinted stamps too. Their
value was 25 kopecks. The cover or postcard was sold for somewhat more
than the stamp’s face value though. Usually this surcharge was 10
kopecks. At the counter a postcard cost 35 kopecks, a cover with an
imprinted stamp of 40 kopecks cost 50 kopecks.
Postcards were considerably less popular in the Soviet Union than
letters with imprinted stamps. Picture postcards were even more scarce.
For that matter, a big part of those picture postcards had an imprinted
stamp too. Covers and cards without an imprinted stamp, that had to be
stamped by the sender, did exist, but they were only a fraction of the
postal traffic.

-----

If you consider that the USSR had a greater population than the
USA, the print quantities of their stamps were extremely low. That
would support the idea that stamps were released almost strictly for
collectors, seldom serving postal duty. In 1960, the average common
USSR commemorative (the minimum catalogue value stamps) were usually
issued in print quantities of around 2 million copies per stamp. In
comparison, USA commemoratives were printed in quantities of around 125
million copies per stamp.

Ryan