Early Japan--telegraph and telephone cancels

Old March 7th 10, 12:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stan

Default Early Japan--telegraph and telephone cancels

I'm still working my way though a short list of questions from a
fellow collector. This query involves cancels on 19th century
Japanese stamps. Scott notes that stamps with telegraph or telephone
cancels sell for considerably less than those with postal
cancellations. His specific question is, "how much less," and a
related question I think he has is, "how does one recognize telegraph
and telephone cancellations?"

He has found sites with information on recognizing Japanese forgeries,
so I did not have to give him that caution.

As always, we would appreciate whatever information folks share with
us.

Stan
Old March 8th 10, 09:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Not sure if the characters will display correctly, but telephone is ¹q¸Ü
and telegraph might be either ¹q«H or ¹q³ø. My Japanese gazetteer doesn't
show any current place names beginning with ¹q, so that any
cancellation including ¹q in it might well be suspect. (¹q 'den' means
'lightning' or - by extension - 'electricity', by the way.)

Tony

Old March 8th 10, 01:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stan

On Mar 8, 4:45 am, Asia-translation
wrote:
Not sure if the characters will display correctly, but telephone is ¹q¸Ü
and telegraph might be either ¹q«H or ¹q³ø. My Japanese gazetteer doesn't
show any current place names beginning with ¹q, so that any
cancellation including ¹q in it might well be suspect. (¹q 'den' means
'lightning' or - by extension - 'electricity', by the way.)

Tony

Tony--thanks. At least on my monitor, Japanese-looking characters did
appear. When I did a copy-and-paste to send the message to the person
who raised the question, the characters got lost. But printing out
the message for archiving gave me something to scan and, thus, an
image to attach to a e-mail, so the information has been forwarded
where it was awaited.

That scan is available for posting on cjoint if anyone else wants to
see it. Just let me know:
napoleon at voyager dot net.

Stan
Old March 9th 10, 08:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Stan, I should have added that there are at least as many Chinese/
Japanese fonts as there are European. Warn your enquirer not to get
too hung up on exact similarities: as long as the general appearance
of the characters is similar, it should be sufficient.

The ¹q should be distinctive - particularly the bottom element of the
character.

Tony