Democratic Republic of Congo varieties

Old March 6th 10, 11:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stan

Default Democratic Republic of Congo varieties

Image is at:

http://cjoint.com/?dhad7kQrDp

A friend has three July 1966 stamps (Scott #616) that have solid black
rectangles printed over the May 1966 denominations. There is supposed
to be "10K" in white printed on the black rectangle. One stamp
completely lacks the new denomination and two have it located several
mm left, on President Mobutu's hat. My Catalogue Officiel Belgique
does not list the varieties, nor does Scott.

My friend asks: Congo Democratic Republic Scott 616. I believe these
are supposed to be the 10K surcharge on the 2K, but they appear to be
errors. On the left 2 stamps, the surcharge is on the general's cap
rather than the black rectangle. On the right stamp, there is no
surcharge at all, just the black rectangle. Are these errors?

Our thanks for whatever information anyone can provide.

Stan Fairchild
Old March 7th 10, 03:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Hello Stan,
just speaking generally, if the 10k is misplaced or missing
I would first attribute a registration fault, and or, other reasons that the
quality of the scan inhibits recognition.
For example the opt is not in white but silver, as far as I am concerned a
colour that has a dicky reputation for disappearing.

I would not ascribe "Error" to your examples.

Working with what we have got relies on previous identification in a catalogue
which I do not have.
Rodney

"Stan"

Old March 7th 10, 06:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

I stand corrected,
from a gentle nudge, off list,
it is SG654 10k on 2f (black and white)
If the 10k is missing then it would be a catalogue "variety".
The mis registration is an EFO.
of course, I welcome correction again
One has to be vigilant that the white cannot be removed chemically.

Old March 7th 10, 06:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

A possibility.
If the overprint is "set too high"
all stamps in the sheet will have the 10k at the bottom of the stamp,
and the last stamp in the row will be a void.
It would have to be noted some stamps exist with the 10k at the bottom.

Old March 7th 10, 07:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

Stan wrote :
[...]

Yvert does not mention any variety for this surcharge.

The original stamp is Yvert #617 (issued in 1966).
The stamp surcharged by a white 10 K in the middle of a black rectangle
is Yvert # 667 (issued in 1968).
Yvert shows the surcharge but not the stamp with the surcharge, thus it
is impossible, from them, to know where the "normal" place of the
surcharge was.

Interesting variety (or whatever it is) !

So it would be nice to see a real scan of these stamps : apparently, the
image you are showing was taken with a camera. If your friend has not
got a scanner, perhaps he may use the "macro" function which exists
now on most digital cameras and get a crisper picture ?

--
Kind regards,
Pierre Courtiade

to answer me, please replace NOSPAM by my family name

Old March 7th 10, 12:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stan

On Mar 7, 2:47*am, "Pierre COURTIADE" wrote:
Stan wrote :

[...]

to answer me, please replace NOSPAM by my family name- Hide quoted text -

Pierre--my friend has several questions, at least one of which
requires seeing the stamp. As you realized, he lacks a scanner and
used a camera, which yielded an image far too fuzzy to be useful.
I've suggested that he stop by long enough for me to scan the stamp.
I will suggest that he bring the Congo stamps along for scanning also.

Thanks.

Stan
Old March 7th 10, 03:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stan

On Mar 6, 6:16*pm, Stan wrote:
[...]

stamps. Here is the link:

http://cjoint.com/?dhqAdCxq8x

My friend has now learned that his all-purpose printer will create
scans for him, saving him a trip to my house to get scans.
Old March 8th 10, 03:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

Stan wrote :

stamps. Here is the link:

http://cjoint.com/?dhqAdCxq8x

My friend has now learned that his all-purpose printer will create
scans for him, saving him a trip to my house to get scans.

Many thanks, Stan !
Now the picture is nice and crisp.

--
All the best,