I got 2001-D Golden Dollar Mint Bag from my bank!

Old February 3rd 05, 02:31 PM
shreadvector

Default I got 2001-D Golden Dollar Mint Bag from my bank!

After weeks of waiting, I finally got my first (and hopefully not last)
bag of 2001-D Golden Dollars from one of my banks.

Here is the procedu

Tell bank about phone message on local Federal Reserve cash services
info line that says that Mint Bags of 2000 Golden Dollars are available
as of January 10, 2005 and that all financial institutions can now
special order them using the online form on the Fed website.

Listen as bank teller tells me that "we can't order Golden Dollars".

Slowly repeat exactly what was stated above.
Hand teller a copy of the fax form with the Fed info line telephone
number circled.
Tell teller to call their regional bank cash vault and talk to a human
(instead of the automated ordering system). Have them explain to the
human EXACTLY what was stated above and provide them with a copy of the
form and the Fed telephone number so they can verify that it's true.

Wait anywhere from a day to a week for confirmation from the bank
teller that the bank cash vault folks now understand that they can
indeed order mint bags of Golden Dollars. Also find out if they
actually WILL order some and when they might arrive at the bank branch.

Now for the fun part. One bank's regional cash vault made them jump
through additional hoops. The branch could indeed get the bag, BUT they
had to call the cash vault and not use the autromated system (in other
words they had to get a human on the phone) the day before their
regular delivery of coin/cash and they had to get the bag added to the
order over the phone.

I'm still waiting for a different bank to have a bag show up. It has
been on it's way for 2 weeks...

By the way, the mint bag had a big rummer stamped code near the bottom
that read:
D290JAN302001.

I assumed it was indeed Denver 2001 Golden Dollars from the marking and
so I opened the bag and put on my cotton gloves and pulled a bunch out.
VERY nice condition. Somehow they are superior to the 2002 GDs that I
overpayed for directly from the mint.

And I repeat that I have no plans to buy the 2005 GD bags at the new
smaller size and higher price. I'm betting that the supply is finally
getting low enough that they may actually have to make more GDs for
distribution to the banking system this year. I'll have to make some
phone calls to see if anyone knows what the inventory level is at the
Mint and the Federal Reserve system. When it drops too low at the Fed,
they order more - either shipped between Fed districts or from the
mint.

-Fred Shecter

Old February 3rd 05, 05:33 PM
Dave Allured

shreadvector wrote:

After weeks of waiting, I finally got my first (and hopefully not last)
bag of 2001-D Golden Dollars from one of my banks.

Way to go Fred! You da man!!

Here is the procedu

Tell bank about phone message on local Federal Reserve cash services
info line that says that Mint Bags of 2000 Golden Dollars are available
as of January 10, 2005 and that all financial institutions can now
special order them using the online form on the Fed website.
snip

Did they actually say "2000" on the cash services info line?

I gotta go to work on this myself. Lately my regular jab keeps me too
durn busy for this kind of fun.

--Dave
Old February 3rd 05, 05:35 PM
Paul Anderson

In article .com,
shreadvector wrote:

After weeks of waiting, I finally got my first (and hopefully not
last) bag of 2001-D Golden Dollars from one of my banks.

Congratulations! But what will you do with your time now that you
don't have to roll up Apollo XI dollars and write RARE FROM THE 1900S
on them with your Sharpie? ;-)

If I were to try this, should I go to a commercial bank? Would they be
more likely to be able to work with the Fed to get these bags than my
local savings bank?

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old February 3rd 05, 05:47 PM
shreadvector

2000 as in quantity in the bag, not as in the year stamped onto the
coin. They are mint bags containing 2000 Golden Dollar coins.

I'll answer the other message as well. I'm still getting 2 normal boxes
a week and sorting them out. The Apollo XI dollars get re-rolled and I
don't need to write on them with the Sharpie since I've got a rubber
stamp that says:
RARE APOLLO XI
DOLLAR COINS
FROM THE 1900's

I pile them up and deposit them at a bank or banks 50 to 100 miles away
where they use a bank cash vault out of San Diego instead of LA or
Orange County. I assume that they will stay in that local area or
gravitate south over the border since the trolly system uses dollar
coins.

Commercial banks would be the best starting point, BUT some credit
unions and saving banks might have a pro-customer attitude and actually
order them for you. Of course, you have to check with your local
Federal Reserve district cash services folks to see if they ahve any
mint bags in stock and available to financial institutions who order
them. They're on the web. Good luck.

Old February 3rd 05, 05:57 PM
Dave Allured

shreadvector wrote:

2000 as in quantity in the bag, not as in the year stamped onto the
coin. They are mint bags containing 2000 Golden Dollar coins.

D'oh! I should have seen that. Thanks Fred!

--Dave
Old February 4th 05, 10:18 AM
Aram H. Haroutunian

On 3 Feb 2005 05:31:47 -0800, "shreadvector"
wrote:

[...]

Please fill in the blanks, Fred. The phone number for the L A area B
of A vault teller to use to confirm and get forms. I delved into the
on-line info of the SF FRB and found the very disconcerting statement
that the small bags are commingled (2,000 coins) while the large
(40,000) are not. There is some misinformation at the FRB site, such
as their implication that IGWT appeared on the one cent coinage in
1864. The correct year would be 1909. Anyway, I would love to help
my little branch of B of A to procure the 2001 D Sacagawea Dollars.
Any help will be appreciated.
Aram.
Old February 4th 05, 06:54 PM
shreadvector

http://www.frbsf.org/fiservices/cash...s/faxsouth.pdf

Telephone number is on form. For Questions Call (888) 339-3506, Option
3.

I called again just now. The message gives you additional options for
commemorative quarters, nickels and Golden Dollars. You can also stay
on the line and talk to a person, BUT they remind you that the number
is supposed to be for financial institutions only. SO, listen to the
messages and then hang up and give the info to your bank. I found that
handing them a copy of the above form with the phone number highlighted
or circled is a big help.

Let's flood LA with GDs. Actually, I suspect that it's already being
flooded by the self-service car wash folks, the USPS vending machines,
commuter rail, etc. Las Vegas monorail didn't hurt either.

-Fred Shecter

Old February 4th 05, 08:02 PM
Dave Allured

I talked to one of the Cash Services people live at the Denver branch
Fed Reserve bank. It was a nice lady named Debbie who has been part of
the real operations for years. She said that their branch has no
special program for new golden dollars in any form. Furthermore, they
have not ordered any from the Mint in years, not since they first came
out (she thinks). She said we can get all the comingled dollars we want
through local banks, but no guaranteed new lots.

Fred, it would appear that the new golden dollar bag program is a local
initiative confined to the west coast 12th Federal Reserve District, or
possibly even just the San Francisco branch. You lucky dog you!

Possibly your district has a favorable consumption vs. supply
situation. Perhaps they have enlightend directors who actually want to
*promote* the dollar coin (gasp!!). It sure isn't the US Mint or the
national FRB leadership.

One good note for the rest of us. I agree with Fred's comments about
the reserves. If San Francisco is supplying solid 2001-D bags, that's a
fair indicator that the western supply of 2000-D's is starting to dry
out. If so, it won't be much longer before real production begins. I
think about 2006. Yippee!

Mintages: Philly Denver
2000 767,140,000 518,916,000
2001 62,468,000 70,939,500
2002-2004 -- Collector quantities only --

Note. The national annual drawdown was about 63 million, back in 1999
before the golden dollar promotion had ever started.

http://web.archive.org/web/200308081...n.org/time.htm

--Dave
"Yay Jim"

Old February 4th 05, 08:21 PM
shreadvector

You have two options:

#1: Do what I do:

Buy the comingled.

Sort them.

Re-roll and pile up the Susies.

Drive them south as far as you can (New Mexico?). Deposit them at banks
near the border.

Suck your city dry.

#2: Open a large chain of coin-op car washes and laundromats that use
dollar coins (or buy up a local vending machine operator).

Old February 7th 05, 09:32 PM
shreadvector

I just picked up my normal weekly two boxes of comingled dollar coins.
I popped open both boxes and all are the same machine wrapper as used
on only some of last weeks rolls - a very pale printing job on the
white paper. This week looks to have a decnet number of 2001-D mixed in
and fewer Susies than in the past. I will know more after I sort them
out and re-roll them later today or tomorrow morning.

This could be beginning to follow similar pattern of the Susies as they
dried up in the late 90's. Every other box in those days was completely
uncirculated and eventually we got the 1999-P SBAs followed in very
late 1999 and January 2000 with boxes of uncirculated 1999-D. That was
then followed by the comingled circulated Susies and a few GDs as they
started to arrive at Wal-mart and get re-circulated. Eventually we got
nothing but Bumblebee rolls after the Federal Reserve instituted a
program to ship nothing but new Golden Dollar coins for about a year
and a half. Since that ended it's been all comingled circulated coins,
but they seem to be getting used enough to spread them out into many
machines and pockets and cash registers, so they needed more to fill
bank orders.

I sent an e-mail to Coin World suggesting an article similar to their
article in 2002 that documented the inventories and draw-down rate of
dollar coins. Without Jim Benfiled they'll have to go directly to the
Fed and Mint to get that data (unless a contact at a congressional
office has that info).

I'll report my rough count on what I find in the boxes sometime
tomorrow (I hope).

-Fred Shecter