Golden Dollar to SBA ratio

Old November 3rd 03, 09:49 PM
Fred Shecter

Default Golden Dollar to SBA ratio

It's a good week for the ratio.

One box is 2 to 5% SBA (I didn't count it exactly yet) and the second box is exactly 10%
SBA.

That means mostly GDs. Much better than past batches with 30 to 35% SBAs.

If they keep diluting the SBAs with more GDs then the SBAs will become more uncommon and
less of a concern (to those who don't like them).

Perhaps it's all those thousands that I've gone through and re-rolled and marked "RARE
FROM THE 1900's" and then drove 200 to 300 miles away and spent/changed/deposited??
People out "in the middle of nowhere" really got a kick out of the SBAs since they seem to
never see them.

And now for more news. Some of you may know that there has been a supermarket strike in
the LA area The union struck Vons (Safeway) and then Albertsons and Ralph's (Kroger)
locked them out. Those three stores have been like ghost towns while Stater Bros. and
Costco/Sams Club are beyond parking lot capacity. Well the union decided to stop picketing
Ralph's since customers had started crossing the lines anyway and the customers were
getting really P'd-O at not being able to get food without being harassed by picketers.
So, they said it's OK to shop at Ralph's and it won't bother the strikers. I went by last
night and sure enough there were no picketers and the place was packed. I went up to the
managers desk to ask about an item that was picked-clean (insanely low price + sudden huge
crowd = bare shelf). As I approached on manager was saying something to 2 others about
getting 70 Golden Dollars from a customer and the others said "GREAT!". I spoke up and
said I was going to ask about a rain-check but if they like Golden Dollars I have some -
and I pulled out two rolls. They said (almost collectively) that they had run completely
out of "ones" and they would buy all that I had. I sold them $150 in GDs and $150 in Twos.
They fell all over themselves thanking me.

Golly! They work as "money"! Who'd-a-thunk-it?

;-)

I also asked them if they would install any U-Scan machines and set them up to give Golden
Dollars as change. They said that they would love to have them and that they enjoyed using
them at the Home Depot (they showed up recently at our local HDs). At least you can spend
GDs at the U-Scan or NCR self-checkouts even if they don't give GDs as change. I know they
can be configured to do so and I hope they will someday in the not too distant future. If
folks would send them e-mail requests for that it might speed things up. I've sent mine.
Your turn.

;-)

-Fred Shecter

--
""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Old November 4th 03, 05:37 PM
Barney

"Fred Shecter" wrote in
:

It's a good week for the ratio.

One box is 2 to 5% SBA (I didn't count it exactly yet) and the second
box is exactly 10% SBA.

I'm excited about this! It will be interesting to see how the next few
boxes will be. If the ratio continues to be low for SBA in the range of
2-5%, then you have made some great progress. If their service has to
order more dollar coins from the Fed, I think it means that the SBA ratio
will jump up again and the whole process stars all over. The important
thing is that they MAY have to order more if their supply starts getting
low.

As
I approached on manager was saying something to 2 others about getting
70 Golden Dollars from a customer and the others said "GREAT!". I
spoke up and said I was going to ask about a rain-check but if they
like Golden Dollars I have some - and I pulled out two rolls. They
said (almost collectively) that they had run completely out of "ones"
and they would buy all that I had. I sold them $150 in GDs and $150 in
Twos. They fell all over themselves thanking me.

I wish my local supermarkets would be that excited about receiving Golden
Dollars. It seems though they always have a good supply of paper ones.
The only time I over heard that they had very few paper ones, I did try
to sell a roll or two and the manager mentioned something about not
wanting to get their customers mad at them. I'll tell you, what short
sighted thinking that was! Even if a customer balked about getting
dollar coins as change, I think once they explain that's all they had,
the customer would be more than happy to get their change.

I also asked them if they would install any U-Scan machines and set
them up to give Golden Dollars as change.

They also have them that way at our local Home Depot too. I think that
the company that makes these machines need to set it up to dispence
dollar coins as the default dollar. One time I tried to contact them and
I got in trouble from my old job at Frys. Even Jim Benfield never
received a call back from them...at least from the contact number I gave
him.

Barney