what's the THRILL of collecting

Old October 16th 03, 03:42 PM
Bruce Hickmott

Default what's the THRILL of collecting

On 15 Oct 2003 07:36:31 -0700, (BW) is alleged to have written:

I was searching through some past articles trying to answer the above
question, but unlike other subjects I've been looking at this one is
still a mystery to me.

What *IS* the thrill of collecting? Is it the hunt, ownership of
something rare, being an expert, showing your collection to an
audience, finding someone into the same thing as you, dangerous
encounters…? You tell me!

I'm a researcher in England and I'd really like to know about your
collecting related thrills. I'm currently conducting interviews with
people about their personal experiences on the web-site
www.chromo11.com . I'm trying to work out "what is thrill" by
collecting (!?) examples of thrill from a wide cross section of
people.

We could discuss it here, but if you've got something to say on the
subject I'd really like to do an interview. On the site you'll find a
set of short, but carefully crafted questions that you can download
and answer at your leisure; you'll also be able to read more about the
project.

Thanks

Brendan
email: thrill@chromo11[dot]com
web: www.chromo11.com

For me, it's the thrill of the hunt. I like coins that are tougher to find or
are tough to find nice. The feeling of success that I get when I've finally
filled a tough hole.....

Bruce

Old October 17th 03, 02:20 PM
John Stone

Bruce Hickmott wrote in message . ..
[...]

Thrill of the hunt is the biggest for me. Showing what you own to others
is way down there unless you know they have some appreciation for it beforehand.
To a non collector its often just a "how much is it worth" type of reaction
and no apppreciation beyond that. I've found myself in that situation myself one
time looking at a display case of someones collection of something I had no
real interest in so I don't get upset if someone has the same kind of reaction
to what I collect.