Golden Dollar roll - sell intact or break apart?

Old October 5th 03, 05:46 AM
Zamboni

Default Golden Dollar roll - sell intact or break apart?

I have a mint roll of 2000P Golden Dollars. The two exposed coins at either
end seem to have fingerprints etched into them. Is this roll still worth
selling as a roll, or should I open it, spend the end coins and scatter the
rest? (I'm really only interested in one coin for my set.) Thanks.
--
Zamboni

Old October 5th 03, 06:34 AM
joseph d'allesandro

Old October 5th 03, 06:35 AM
Dave Allured

Your roll is just barely worth keeping intact, and it depends on how you
would value your time to find a buyer.

Most modern US "Mint wrapped rolls" (dollars, halves, and quarters) are
exclusively from Mint direct sales at a hefty markup, thus limiting
their numbers. In contrast, the 2000-P and D Sacagawea yellow Mint
rolls were available by the millions at face value, through banks across
the country, as part of the initial promotion effort. Therefore these
particular rolls are really common, which is reflected in the market
value. A quick ebay check of completed items shows ending prices in the
$25 to 31 range, not including S&H. The exact search string I used
was: mint roll* (golden,sac*) 2000 P

Note that some sellers shrug off end coin defects as "heavy end
toning". I don't think it hurts the price much to say this.

I used to take delight in carefully cherry picking those Mint rolls by
the dozens for better MS specimens, until the bank supplies dried up
last spring. Perhaps you would find your best value in slowly and
lovingly fondling the 23 pristine inside specimens under hot bright
light and close magnification, by edges only and maybe with gloves,
until you find the sole champion that you know was destined just for
you.

.... Or maybe it's just me. ... Naw, I don't think so!! ;-)

--Dave

Old October 5th 03, 09:30 AM
Marcel van Hees

L.S.

See what the local price is for a roll and for single dollars. Then see if
there is a market for either. Knowing the price does not mean you can sell
it. You might have to wait a while for the customer. It is just a matter of
calculation and demand. An last but not least you will have to decide.

I once had a crisp banknoto of 25 guilders just befor the new one was
issued. I wanted to keep it but spent it because I lacked money. Years later
I bought another one in crisp state and I surely did not pay 25 guilders for
it but a lot more. It is all to do with the choice of the time.

Marcel

Zamboni heeft geschreven in bericht ...

Old October 5th 03, 01:57 PM
Bob Peterson

When you say "mint" roll, are you referring to the rolls sold by the mint
with the distinctive markings, or just a regular old roll? The actual mint
rolls have a slight premium, but typically, brass bux just don't have much
premium, kind of like Ikes.

Old October 5th 03, 09:18 PM
Art O'Connell

I suggest that you look for a coin or coins that you really want to have in
your collection. Something that costs about $25.00. Make it a great passion
buy. Buy one of those British Bullion pieces, or an ASE -- something neat.
Take the 2 or 3 best coins out of your roll. Use the rest for your purchase.

Above all, enjoy what you do.

--
May God bless and protect you.
Art

(remove nojunk from email address)

"Zamboni" wrote in message
I have a mint roll of 2000P Golden Dollars. The two exposed coins at

either
end seem to have fingerprints etched into them. Is this roll still worth
selling as a roll, or should I open it, spend the end coins and scatter

the
rest? (I'm really only interested in one coin for my set.) Thanks.
--
Zamboni

---

Old October 6th 03, 03:08 PM
J. A. M.

joseph d'allesandro wrote:

If you're really only interested in one coin for your set, then do it.
Otherwise, it will keep bothering you. Get it over with.

On the other hand, I've been told by my coin shop-owner buddy that once
you open a mint roll of those things, they'll only be worth a dollar
apiece...

They are only worth a dollar a piece no matter how you find them!

But, speaking for myself, I wouldn't let that stop me.--
I don't like those coins, anyway.

Old October 6th 03, 06:21 PM
Zamboni

"J. A. M." wrote in message
joseph d'allesandro wrote:

If you're really only interested in one coin for your set, then do it.
Otherwise, it will keep bothering you. Get it over with.

On the other hand, I've been told by my coin shop-owner buddy that once
you open a mint roll of those things, they'll only be worth a dollar
apiece...

They are only worth a dollar a piece no matter how you find them!

But, speaking for myself, I wouldn't let that stop me.--
I don't like those coins, anyway.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm leaning towards breaking it apart. I'm
only into the roll for face value, so it's no great loss. Tip money, if
nothing else.
--
Zamboni

Old October 7th 03, 01:53 AM
AnswerMan2

They are only worth a dollar a piece no matter how you find them!

If you want to give away an unsearched roll with possible error coins worth
dozens to hundreds of dollars, it's your call. The buyer is going to
immediately open the roll to see what you missed and make sure you didn't sell
him two coins and 18 washers. The Yankees said it best, "Never buy a pig in a
poke."
Alan Herbert
The AnswerMan